How do I get them to sound good?
I tried Mesa Triple Rectos, Valvekings, JCM2000s and some other tube amps yesterday they all sounded the same.
They were fizzy, not enough gain, thin and just didn't sound good to my ears.
I know tube amps can sound good.
Every band that I like uses them for the most part.
So what do I need to know about tube amps to get them to sound good?
I play Death Metal, by the way.
you need to crank the mother****ers.
thats all i can offer cause i dont know what the hell your doing if you tough they all sounded like crap.
Erm....the only thing I can think of is that you need to EQ (or know how to) properly. They are all quality amps you have listed. Sure they all have thier different tonal qualities, but I guarantee they will not ALL sound thin and fizzy!

Look for the Amp setting thread....(Searchness Bar)
@ THEKID546: Are you deliberately typing faster than me so as to post quicker or is it just weird we've had virtually the same advice in the last two threads????
You know you have to plug the head into a cab, right?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by metalistight
How do I get them to sound good?
I tried Mesa Triple Rectos, Valvekings, JCM2000s and some other tube amps yesterday they all sounded the same.
They were fizzy, not enough gain, thin and just didn't sound good to my ears.
I know tube amps can sound good.
Every band that I like uses them for the most part.
So what do I need to know about tube amps to get them to sound good?
I play Death Metal, by the way.

if you tried these out in a store, there's a chance that the tubes might be old (or some kid played TTFAF without letting the amp warm up)
yes you must crank it up. tube amps sound like s**t at low volumes. also depending on the head a BBE in the loop will do wonders. when goin from solid state to tubes you must totally redevelop your settings.
Quote by jdr94
yes you must crank it up. tube amps sound like s**t at low volumes. also depending on the head a BBE in the loop will do wonders. when goin from solid state to tubes you must totally redevelop your settings.

You don't have to crank it, you just have to eq it right. Tubes sound their best cranked, but it's not a necessity for good tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The BEST way to hear the amps full potential is to crank it.

As well as EQing it well.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
The best way to get any amp to sound good is to find the best EQ settings as possible, but like Kevin said tubes sound better cranked, but it's not necessary to have to crank them.
^^^

^^Agreed, a good way to put it

^

I should note, some amps have a bigger difference between their cranked and uncranked tone. If you're playing blues or classic rock cranking makes the biggest difference since those genres depend on a lot of powertube saturation. Amps without master volumes won't have any gain unless they are cranked, but most modern amps have a master.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Nov 3, 2008,
Hey Kev - sorry bit slow on th euptake and extremely lazy, but did you find the amp you were after? Hope so!

TS: I would love you to look into purchasing one of the amps you listed. I myself have a Laney TT50 combo which are like hot-rodded Marshalls. Similar to this is the old Laney AOR series but unfortunately does not have the Master Vol IIRC.

IMO my Laney makes me shit a brick every time I lay a few chops down and owns most ( i repeat IMO, most!) amps but all the ones you have listed are great. You want to also look into Engl amps too - if it weren't for my Laney I'd be GASing for onr of those!!!