Page 1 of 2
yeah, that's right.

Many of you know that Best Buy sells gear now. Highest end amp is a Marshall JVM for $2,200 and highest end guitar is an Eric Johnson Strat for $1,800.

Anyway, I got a bonus from work in the form of a $500 gift card to Best Buy. I need some pedals anyway. Here is what I'm thinking. If you have any other suggestions let me know - but it would help if it is available at Best Buy on-line.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat151600050027&type=category

Dunlop MXR SmartGate $111
Dunlop Carbon Copy delay $149
Dano Fish n Chips EQ $35*
Dunlop Custom Shop Script Phase 90 $100

That leaves about $100 for another pedal or AC adaptors etc.

So for example would the EVH Phase 90 be worth it for the xtra $30?
Would the Boss Fuzz pedal be worth it for $120 if I had to pay more + adapters?
I also see Compression/Sustainers from Boss and MXR at around $80?

*no, the MXR EQ's are not on the web site
id also put some money aside for a Noise supressor with all those pedals.
Also somthing as simple as a chromatic tuner can make you a btter player in exploring diffrent guitar tunnings.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 3, 2008,
If you want the EVH phase sound get the custom shop one, if you also want to be able to switch between the modern phase 90 sound and the evh phase 90 sound, then the get the EVH phase 90. If you only like the modern phase 90 sound then just get a regular phase 90.

I would get a one spot for an adapter. BB doesn't have them, but they are great for the price (about 30 dollars and you can power like a million pedals with one)

The fish n chips has got to be worth 40 bucks, and maybe pick up a cool cat fuzz? I've heard they aren't bad for the money.

Carbon copy is an awesome sounding delay.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Tnx so far...

THEKID - The MXR SmartGate is a noise a surpressor and yes I'll need one. I get a little bit of hum from my single coils as is, but my amp is actually pretty quite as is. I have 2 tuners already, but not a chromatic one.

BB has been selling gear for several months now.

Kev - good summary on the phase 90's. I think I'll get the EVH. Maybe I can get a One Spot at GC. Yeah, I hear the FnC EQ is not bad so I think it will do me, and I didn't see the Cool Cat fuzz on there but yes - I WANT ONE.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Visual-Sound-1-SPOT-Combo-Pack-104489125-i1275625.gc

Do it nao.

But seriously, it's invaluable

As far as the noise gate goes, you're still gonna notice the hum when you're playing so I saw little point in one. I had a decimator for a while to kill off single coil hum and it turned out to be more trouble than it's worth. Have you tried shielding the cavity? That does wonders.
I personally like the EHX Small Stone more than any of the MXR phasers, the exception being the Script one was just up there with the Small Stone in my book.

Check it out.
MXR Classic 108 fuzz.

Get it.

You can never have too many fuzzes.
tnx guys, unfortunately BB does not carry the Small Stone nor the 108 fuzz nor the MXR EQ -

- so I kinda have to work with what's available at BB for now.

Kev- my strat pick gaurd is shielded but not the cavity. Actually, I don't get enough buzz or hum as is to worry about it, but I figured by adding pedals that I want, I may need something.

Also, I didn't really mention the kind of sound I'm going after but it would be the type of stuff that I've recorded in profile named 1VK 4.x blah bla blah.
I guess that is the overall situation....is there something better that I should hold out for and pay for with later funds?

Carbon Copy - Go
EVH Phase 90 - Go
MXR SmartGate - ?
FnC EQ - ?
Boss Fuzz - ? (not really, I'll wait)

I don't have a Wah in there either bumpy
Might be a good time to upgrade the ol car stereo....
^Ha ha.....how did you know?

Actually, I may look at getting a Preamp for recording. I see M-Audios and Toneports on here. I may be getting another card like this at the end of the year.

So are most of you advising to NOT get the noise gate? I figured this would be a good time to get it since it is not something I would normally GAS over and spend my own money on.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^Ha ha.....how did you know?

Actually, I may look at getting a Preamp for recording. I see M-Audios and Toneports on here. I may be getting another card like this at the end of the year.

So are most of you advising to NOT get the noise gate? I figured this would be a good time to get it since it is not something I would normally GAS over and spend my own money on.

I'd only get the gate if you need it. For gigs, it's usually a nice thing to have, as is a power conditioner to keep out voltage spikes from unknown electrical systems in old buildings. With my amps, I can get away w/o a gate, but hell, you're getting it for free, why not? +1 to the EVH phaser. The script setting is pretty accurate, a bit heavier sounding than the original IMO, but damn good. If you get the one-spot adapter, be sure to check which pedals have + center pins & which have - center pins. Some are different, & my guess is all the jacks on the one-spot are the same.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I think I'll get the noise gate, just because it is not normally something I would go after.

Riff- thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check that. I also need to read up on my Bad Monkey and RP FX pedal to make sure they will work on such a thing as well. No I don't gig, this is just a hobby.

Last thoughts on Fuzz? Is the Boss Fuzz any good or should I just get the Dano Cool Cat Fuzz at a later date and maybe get a different pedal like the Boss Susatainer/Compressor? That one seems like something I would like. Not so sure I'll be able to take my guitar into Best Buy like I would GC.
Stay away from the Boss CS-3. EHX Soul Preacher is in the same price range, and much, much nicer. Not sure about the MXR compressors, but they might also be worth checking out.
Noise gate is going to be a pretty good addition.

Dano Fuzz = get it, it's definitely worth the money less than the Boss one.

Actually, compare the two side-by-side if you can, I've just heard the boss fuzz sounds terrible. And the Dano is true bypass, if that makes any difference for you.

I got the VS 1-spot, and it's definitely worth the money... so much simpler.

Didn't you say you wanted recording equipment? Why not buy a preamp/soundcard and a microphone?
Just throwing this out there - but I didn't think the Boss fuzz was worth the money (but in your case it's basically free?) So I suppose I'd suggest a preamp, mainly so we can hear all of these when you get them
Quote by Skierinanutshel
if they are good pedals and your amp isnt feedback-prone, you wont need a noise suppressor.

and when did this happen to best buy??!?!!?! talk about wal mart taking over the world!

Recently I think, they sell many Fenders now.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
^you are right, yes they do lespaul#1. They carry Blues Jrs, HRDs, Supersonic, 65 twin, etc. Actually a Blues Jr would be another option but I'm saving my amp duckets for another day. Oh, and Vox AC30CC - which surprised me.

tnx for the additional feedback everyone...i think i just read 3 no-votes for the Boss Fuzz.

FlyingBeerman - love your username and I think I'll look into the MXR Comp as that is on the BB list.

dudey - ha ha I appreciate the noise gate and recording gear option - as you and I have talked about this already.

guitar/bass76 - i may just have to hold out and get the Dano Cool Cat seperately, that seems to be the way to go. Tnx for confirming the no-go on the Boss fuzz. I post clips already using a camera mic so I'll be able to throw some stuff up regardless.

dbl93100 - yeah I think I'll get the EVH phase and no Boss pedals at this time. tnx

making decision tomorrow so I'll think I'll put the extra $100 toward the MXR Comp(ressor)
just wanted to say thanks to those that helped...I made my purchase tonight at an actual Best Buy instead of on-line. There is a new BB not far from me that I didn't know about. I'll provide more detail and maybe some pics tomorrow as i'm too tired tonight.

I got teh

MXR Smartgate
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR SuperComp
Dano FnC EQ

so wait a minute...where do you work? your boss gives you a bonus and it's in the form of a $500 giftcard to bestbuy?! wtf?! he couldn't just tack $500 on to your paycheck? i hate the idea that they assume you shop at BB and give a gift card...that's kinda lame....

but the fact that they sell gear is definitely a saving grace!! congrats on the gear! be sure to give reviews later! i really wanna hear about the carbon copy, as i'm planning on getting one soon enough.

right on bro
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
so wait a minute...where do you work? your boss gives you a bonus and it's in the form of a $500 giftcard to bestbuy?! wtf?! he couldn't just tack $500 on to your paycheck? i hate the idea that they assume you shop at BB and give a gift card...that's kinda lame....

but the fact that they sell gear is definitely a saving grace!! congrats on the gear! be sure to give reviews later! i really wanna hear about the carbon copy, as i'm planning on getting one soon enough.

right on bro

Thanks Slash_rocks, it really isn't that bad. I get normal pay and sales commission in the form of a check. This is kind of a quarterly bonus incentive thing that is above and beyond normal so it's all good. Last time it was Bass Pro Shops. I mean it could have been worse and been something like Bed, Bath and Beyond...

lol true that.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by akack
Good work 311.

Does this mean you're getting rid of the RP250?

I probably won't get rid if it as I don't have a Wah pedal yet, easy to use the tuner, has some funky effects I'll prolly never buy seperatly and has a headphone jack for late night jamming.

Does anyone want to comment on this chain as I'm setting up?

guitar > noise gate > compressor > OD > amp > LOOP > EQ > Phase 90 > Delay > RP250 > loop return

I don't really have a hum problem with guitar so maybe the Gate needs to go at end of loop to help quite the signal after all these pedals. I realize some of this is individual tweaking that could take days/weeks.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

guitar > noise gate > compressor > OD > amp > LOOP > EQ > Phase 90 > Delay > RP250 > loop return

I don't know how noisey the rp250 is - but I think the only appreciable noise would be from the OD or maybe compressor if you maxed it out.

By all means though, test it out and post some clips!
I know you already purchased everything, and it looks like you got some great gear! But this is a 4th vote, and warning to everyone to stay away from the boss fuzz pedal...
Damn, wish I made it into the thread before you bought, but when I read the list of things you actually got, I am glad you went with those choices! lol

As for your rp250, id say keep it out of the chain for a bit. line up everything WITHOUT it, then put it back in. watch how much tone it sucks...I had a rp200a and it destroyed my F-50's tone.

But yea, try the NS and the EQ in the end of the effects loop. mix and match. see what you like. I dont think I would be able to buy that many pedals at once just because I would have to be dragged away from my rig because I would be spending too much time tweaking. Good for you man. How is the fish and chips? I am really happy with my Mesa's tone, but want an EQ just to mess with. Is it that good of a value? (Sorry if this is a hi-jack btw!)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Actually on it's own the RP250 is not noisy at all. You can hear that diff in my 3.x vs 4.x clips as is. It has a built in noise surpressor tho. We'll see what happens after everything else is in the mix.

I'm running to GC to get a MXR DC Brick or the VS 1 Stop to power all these suckers. I did buy 2 MXR recommended AC adapters and I have 3 9 volt batteries.

So far everything works well on individual tests. The Dano EQ was noisy but not unbearable so I can see putting the gate in the loop with that. The Gate def works - I could hear a difference. For now, all my tests were individually in the Loop.

I'll post back in a few hours when I get back with pics and hopefully a clip but I'm not really a pedal expert so it won't be much of a review. I also have a cool little pedal board I made that you'll get to see.

Stay tuned...

....The Carbon Copy is lush
PS - for some reason there were NO SPECs for milliAmps on the SmartGate or the SuperComp. No instructions at all. Lots of advertising booklets but no instuction or specs.

I don't have time to look them up now because I have to get to GC and back pretty quickly. Can I assume these are positive barrel and negative center?

Maybe someone at GC will know........................................yeah right.

I'll have my blackberry with me. Later,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can I assume these are positive barrel and negative center?

Just checked the super comp and smart gate manuals and they are positive barrel/negative center.

edit: the smart gate specs say it draws 15 mA - no specs in the super comp manual?
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Nov 6, 2008,

Congrats on the new gear!

I'd say put the noise gate in the loop, but I don't know.

Quick tid-bit, for some reason the 1-spot didn't work well with my Fish N Chips, and I don't know why... it worked once, but I think the battery may have died and you know how some pedals don't work right unless they have both power supplies working.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Put the Noise Gate in the loop between the EQ and the Phaser. You want it near the end of your chain so that it squashes noise introduced by pedals... it's not as effective where you have it now.
Page 1 of 2