Hey, so I wanted to buy a new guitar and Im aiming high in terms of quality and price. So my main options are a Gibson Les Paul, or a PRS (not sure which model yet). My playing styles m¿differs a lot, as I am currently playing in a heavy/thrash metal funk band as well as in a hard rock, blues, jazz band and enjoy a lot on playing some classical guitar pieces. Currently I am using a Vox amplifier and a BOSS GT8 pedal board with my customised Fender Strat and my 90s Jackson King V. I was looking for a guitar with great harmonics, sustain, feel, playability, touch, sound, which can work well with any of the styles mentioned above and must be really comfortable and responding when playing tapping. So I wanted to know:
1-What is your opinion on these guitars, which one should I choose and why
2-What model within each brand and type you think would be most suitable
3-How about Parkers? I am truely curious about those guitars :O
As I live in Uruguay I have not many possibilities on trying any of those guitars so I would really apriciate your opinion.
And please forgive me for my english :S
PRS are much higher quality. Not saying Gibson is bad, but PRS is just way above gibson. But ofc, try both and find out what you like.

But after my years of playing the TOP guitars I've tried have been PRS
Quote by Danyg
PRS are much higher quality. Not saying Gibson is bad, but PRS is just way above gibson. But ofc, try both and find out what you like.

But after my years of playing the TOP guitars I've tried have been PRS

Hope I could, but here in Uruguaywe don't get either PRS, Gibson, or Parker...Im proud of my country but guitarwise, it's a shitty country :S
Your English is fine. better than most people on here, in fact
They're both lovely guitars. My favourite PRS is the custom 24. That and the 'Paul tick every box you mentioned. The Custom 24 is a little classier and more refined than the Les Paul, which is more recognisable but has more connotations. It depends on whether you want to be associated with Page, Slash, Greeny, Bonamassa, etc.
Les Pauls differ hugely in terms of characteristics, too. The Studio, for example, has a rosewood fingerboard and modern pickups, giving it a warm, mdern sound, where the Custom has vintage-correct pickups and an ebony fingerboard, so you'll get a more vintage and slightly more biting tone. Remember the differences are subtle, so you could be forgiven for choosing one for looks. And, the new standard is apparently quite nice. I suggest you try it out though, that neck profile will be a tad unfamiliar. TBH, just saying Les Paul is too general to make a judgement.

PRS enjoy a reputation for great quality, you can't really go wrong. As ever, research the specs and things, but above all, try it out!

Also, a PRS will be plain old more comfortable to play than a bulky, heavy, angular 'Paul, but it's still personal preference.

Edit: on a tighter budget, the PRS Mira is fantastic, but perhaps better suited to mellower styles. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by jojoel10
...must be really comfortable and responding when playing tapping.

Dave Knudson from Minus The Bear plays a McCarty iirc.. All he does is tap and it sounds great.

I have a PRS standard 24, and I really like it..
I r Pirate!
Quote by jojoel10
Hey, so I wanted to buy a new guitar and Im aiming high in terms of quality and price. So my main options are a Gibson Les Paul, or a PRS (not sure which model yet). My playing styles m¿differs a lot, as I am currently playing in a heavy/thrash metal funk band as well as in a hard rock, blues, jazz band and enjoy a lot on playing some classical guitar pieces. Currently I am using a Vox amplifier and a BOSS GT8 pedal board with my customised Fender Strat and my 90s Jackson King V. I was looking for a guitar with great harmonics, sustain, feel, playability, touch, sound, which can work well with any of the styles mentioned above and must be really comfortable and responding when playing tapping. So I wanted to know:
1-What is your opinion on these guitars, which one should I choose and why
2-What model within each brand and type you think would be most suitable
3-How about Parkers? I am truely curious about those guitars :O
As I live in Uruguay I have not many possibilities on trying any of those guitars so I would really apriciate your opinion.
And please forgive me for my english :S

First of all, your English is better than half the North American people on the internet, so well done.
Secondly, I've played both PRS and Gibson Les Pauls (A couple of the first, many of the latter), and they're both completely amazing guitars. I would recommend the Les Paul, freely admitting my bias towards them, just because they have such an amazing feel and easy playabilty- to me, anyway. Really, you can't go wrong with either guitar though. Of course, price vs availability is the next issue, but I'll leave you to check that out.
And sorry, I don't have any info on Parkers.

Best of luck!
In sound, can both of them adjust to my demands wether its metal, blues, hard rock, classical, jazz or funk?
Quote by jojoel10
In sound, can both of them adjust to my demands wether its metal, blues, hard rock, classical, jazz or funk?

Jazz to hard rock might be a bit tough, but a lower output version would sound lovely if you got all your distortion from the amp, a la Santana or Slash. Les Pauls might be a bit better for fast hard rock playing, but PRS are just so nice!
I'd say go for the PRS. Though Gibson's high end guitars are of high high quality, I like the playability of PRS more.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
PRS custom 24
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
depends on which prs you want to get. so far i tried out most of the prs and only the custom 22 and 24 has caught my attention.
Keep in mind PRS has gone to polyurathane clear coats (As I was told by a PRS rep, yet they are not happy to admit it), some may say this hurts tone but thats all up to the owner, I love PRS and Gibson both, and while it's true PRS is a better built guitar, Gibson has still sprays nitro on the American series, and you will find many players that will die by the fact nitro gives a better tone as it tends to let the wood sing better than poly does. I have to agree nitro finished guitars tend to sound better to me.

You also need to ask yourself how important a tremolo system is to you, the PRS tremolo is great, much better than a Les Paul with a Bigsby (in my opinion).

You asked about a Parker? Those too are great guitars VERY fast necks, they almost play themselves!

All 3 are outstanding guitars. I would say go to a guitar store and play them back to back, trust me, one will speak to you over the others!
PRS Mira, I played one the other day, and they are amazing for the price. The humbuckers have a coil tap switch. You can get Strat jangle out of it as well as Les Paul crunch. It is an extremly versitile guitar and it is built like a tank.
I have always found Gibsons to have much more of a "mojo factor" than any PRS. I agree that PRS guitars are very beautiful and sound great, but I have found that Gibsons have more of a "character" to them, so it really depends on how you feel. You can't go wrong with either, so it is more of a preference thing.
Quote by Midnight Murk
I have always found Gibsons to have much more of a "mojo factor" than any PRS. I agree that PRS guitars are very beautiful and sound great, but I have found that Gibsons have more of a "character" to them, so it really depends on how you feel. You can't go wrong with either, so it is more of a preference thing.

Pretty much my thoughts, but play em both, if your spending that sort of money you would be a fool not to make the decision yourself
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12