So I am going to change the string guage on my Fender Strat Standard from 9's to 10's. I know you have to do something with the springs and I already have the backplate off. So do I tighten or loosen the springs, 'cuz my bridge is like way above the guitar body when my strings are tuned. So yeah, do I loosen or tighten the springs?
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Quote by Skierinanutshel
tighten.

Is that all I have to do or do I still have to change some stuff?
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Alright cool. Thanks for the help. Never had a guitar with a whammy before so I don't really know what I am doing for this stuff.
yep i have been through exactly the same process. its worth doing for better tone.

you need to tighten things up at the back by adding another spring (i assume there are just 3 fitted at the moment). then, for fine adjustment (if required) either tighten the screws holding the claw into the body to bring the bridge down further, or loosen to take it up. the correct bridge height is 1/8inch (3mm) clearance between the top surface of the guitar body and the underside of the bridge.

you may need truss rod adjustment but probably not for such a small string gauge increase.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix