I finally received my Framus 2x12 with vintage 30s today, meaning I could at last play my ENGl Blackmore.

Instead of getting rich, deep, tight, articulate gut crunching metal I got farts in a tin can.

Basically the highs were rediculous, very sharp. It also sounded terribly muffled, like the amp was in a closet or something. Lastly, it lacked serious low end oomph with palm mutes.

Since the cab is 100% new...is this a speaker break-in problem? If yes...how long would it take to get nice sound from the cab? I know it isn't the ENGL...I tried it out with someone else his cab, where it sounded rich and deep.

Any help would be appreciated.
WTLTL 2011
The harshness sounds like new speakers (or just Vin30s in general), but the rest sounds like a tube issue.
Quote by Roc8995
The harshness sounds like new speakers (or just Vin30s in general), but the rest sounds like a tube issue.

Given that he said it sounds great through a different cab, I doubt it. I'll admit I'm no V30 fan, but I don't think they sound that bad... either break it in and see if it sounds any better (which will take a while) or return the cab if you can. Sorry for the lousy luck, I'd be upset if an amp that nice sounded like that too.
He said he tried it with someone else's cab, which most likely means that it's A) been a little while since it's been played and B) been moved since it was last played. Those things together with the fact that it's a new amp with new tubes mean that tube failure is a reasonable possibility.

It just really doesn't sound like speaker break-in to me. More bass and clarity are not usually characteristic of speaker break-in. I've got an amp with a V30, btw. I was just pointing out that they do have a harshness to them, even broken in.
I really hope you're wrong, or I've wasted a lot of money. How long would it take for the speakers to break in somewhat?
WTLTL 2011
If you're playing at decent volumes you'll hear break-in inside of two weeks. I would try it through a different cab to make sure it's not the tubes though. What cab were you playing through when you tested it? If it was a nice 4x12 with greenbacks or something, it might be your cab.
It was a standard marshall 1960A.

Granted, it obviously sounds a lot different from the 2x12 with vintage 30s I have. Still doesn't explain how my old B-52 AT 112 had more powerful palm mutes and sounded way way less muffled up than a setup 4x as expensive.

Sigh...I guess I'll just have to play it for a while to see if the speaker breakin helps.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 3, 2008,
V30's do need some time to relax and loosen. Also, if you are new to V30's, as I was a few years ago, you will have to learn that all you know about eqing amps needs to be thrown out the window. V30's influence the way an amp will sound enormously.
I love mids, but with an EL34 loaded amp, played through a V30 loaded cab you will need to reduce the mids on your amps eq to compensate. Just because you set the mids to say 3, doesn't mean you are scooping them in this application. You are getting plenty of mids from the EL34's and the V30's. Too much mids can cause a loss of lowend chunk and an overly bright sounding gain. (Which sounds like what you're experiencing.)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I am new to V30s.....in fact my old amp had some weirdass 120 watt 12" speaker. I've also owned (sorry) a spider III with celestion G12T 75s.

My mids just happen to be set to 3. In fact here are my current settings:

Lead: 7
Bas: 8
Mid: 3
Treble: 3
Lead presence: 2
lead volume: 2
master volume: 1

Heavy lead channel.

As you can see I scooped the mids and treble in an attempt to compensate for the very sharp high end. I'm still trying to figure out how Lead(gain), Lead Volume and Master Volume interact.

It seems that lead adds only gain, lead volume adds a bit of gain and a bit of volume and master volume adds a lot of body but also a lot of volume.

Perhaps my problem is, like you said in EQing for the V30s?
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by Mark G
I finally received my Framus 2x12 with vintage 30s today, meaning I could at last play my ENGl Blackmore.

Instead of getting rich, deep, tight, articulate gut crunching metal I got farts in a tin can.

Basically the highs were rediculous, very sharp. It also sounded terribly muffled, like the amp was in a closet or something. Lastly, it lacked serious low end oomph with palm mutes.

Since the cab is 100% new...is this a speaker break-in problem? If yes...how long would it take to get nice sound from the cab? I know it isn't the ENGL...I tried it out with someone else his cab, where it sounded rich and deep.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey, i remember you from the other thread. It's a Ruby Riot cab right?

I told you EXACTLY what would happen, and now it's happened. You should have listened to like the 10 of us that told you to get a different cab.. hate to say i told you so but thats just the way it goes

The ruby riot is a CLASSIC ROCK/CLEAN cab. It does not handle metal, and you will not get that thick bass response from palm muting. You should have gone with the Cobra or Dragon cab... or that orange cab we recommended.

All you can do now is EQ it better..
yeah that was me

I'm still hoping its due to speaker break in or me EQing it wrong. If I can't get it to sound better in a week or so I'll return the cab.
WTLTL 2011
it is much worth it to get a quality cab then skimp out and get the cheaper one. Framus does infact make excellent cabs for what they do, in your case nothing.

I mean, you shelled out enough money for a Blackmore so might as well get a cab that will show all it's backbone

But you can take it to a store maybe and hook up an EQ to it and see if it makes a difference.
I've got a crappy EQ lying around, I'll give that a try.

About getting the cheaper cab...I had to sell all my stuff to get the Blackmore. I had absolutely nothing to play through. I saved up for a few months to get that framus...every extra $100 would be another month without any guitar playing.

So yeah, getting something better would mean 2 months of non-amplifier playing :S
WTLTL 2011
How much do you get/have if you return the cabinet?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
It took me about a week or so to get used to the tone of the V30. It is definately 'rich' with midrange. Don't be afraid scooping mids out cause like people here already said, you aren't losing anyting. Give em ome time, you may just need to get used to the tone of the speaker to your ears, as well as how to properly EQ it.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Wait, you got a ruby riot cab?

What exactly were you thinking when you got a vintage-style, open-back cab for that amp? No wonder you've got no low end.
Ruby riot? Oh dear... I know a guy with one of those, they're great cabs but as others have mentioned they are not built for metal. Stop trying to fix it with an eq, you bought the wrong cab. Can you return/exchange it?
Quote by Roc8995
Wait, you got a ruby riot cab?

What exactly were you thinking when you got a vintage-style, open-back cab for that amp? No wonder you've got no low end.

Woah! Open back? no! This thing is closed shut, but you do have the option to open it up 1/3, 2/3 or all the way.

I'm using it closed up atm.

Sending it back would net me 300 - shipping to germany -_-
WTLTL 2011
You're in the netherlands so i dont know how good used gear is there..

but over here i've seen recto cabs go for $300

or you can order a nice avatar 2x12