ive recently come across a ibanez rg170r (h/s/h) with the 2 humbuckers taken out. single coil is still there, the wiring seems... well theres still wire in there, probably needs to be re soldered.

but is this thing even worth the trouble of trying to either:

take the neck for another project, i dont want a shred guitar, mind you

refinish/set back up and try to sell.

or use it as a test subject and frankenstine it?

what necks fit with it, and where will this neck fit if i were to pull it? the bolts look different than a fenders, but are the pockets similar?

honestly, ive got a build in the works. thats what i wana spend money on. i have a few crappy HBers laying around i might put in just to do it for practice, i might paint this to try out my paint finishing skills, but im kinda at a loss on what to even do with it.

edit: in relation to what the topic actually said, is there anything useful (tuners, might be about it) for me to get out of it for a different build.
Last edited by chris024 at Nov 3, 2008,
You don't understand the concept of cannibalism.

Yes, you can turn the guitar into something good.

No, the neck won't fit into almost anything other than an Ibanez without pocket/heel modification, and there are likely to be scale length issues.

It is an OK guitar, but I would recommend just buying new parts rather than salvaging from it.

The body and neck are an excellent base for any project, so I think you should use it to practice building techniques, or even turn it into a fully functional guitar that you use a lot.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
You don't understand the concept of cannibalism.

yeah i realized that, hence the edit at the end. i got side tracked from how i was gonna start the thread, then tried to curb it back at the end. i liked the title and damnit, i was sticking to it.

Yes, you can turn the guitar into something good.

No, the neck won't fit into almost anything other than an Ibanez without pocket/heel modification, and there are likely to be scale length issues.

It is an OK guitar, but I would recommend just buying new parts rather than salvaging from it.

The body and neck are an excellent base for any project, so I think you should use it to practice building techniques, or even turn it into a fully functional guitar that you use a lot.

kinda the answer i expected from looking at it but wasnt sure. i guess it will be a good practice piece that i can/will make into a working guitar at some point. time to start thinking of ideas. its getting stripped down tonight. maybe swirl paint job.
Good idea.

It's always nice to have something to practice on.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Probably not worth buying, Agathis isn't the best wood, and the hardware on low end ibanez sucks.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ Aren't they basswood?

And, if he can get it for a low price, I think he should totally have a spare guitar to fix up.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Paint it up. The neck will only fit an other Ibanez pocket, or one of the same dimentions. So just paint it up, use it as a practice guitar for painting.
I think they're basswood... only one place I found listed them as alder.

Yeah, if you can get it for $100 or less, do it. Definitely provide it with some decent quality humbuckers and electronics. Also want to replace the bridge and tuners. According to reviews, these guitars had trouble staying in tune. I think it would be a good foundation for beginning modders.
it was free, i already have it. stripped it down last night. ive got an idea that i might run with. godda look into costs on a few things.

edit: im pretty sure its basswood.
Pics?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
just took pics, will find cord soon so i can get them off my camera. right now its just stripped, but i wanted to be able to look back on it and see the steps it took.

ive decided that its going to get the single coil blocked out, then have a 3 way for the 2 HBers, 1 volume, 1 tone, maybe coil tapping, unsure ATM. hard tail(i never use a whammy, so why bother), then im going to TRY to find a old boss PS-3 or a PS-5 (pitch shifter/delay) and rip it apart and cram the guts of it into the trem cavity on the back, and get the 4 knobs up on the front of the guitar somehow. ive been playing with pitch shifters alot lately, and i'd really like to be able to change the settings at my finger tips while standing instead of bending down each time. if i cant, im gonna still do the rest as is, maybe figure out an easy circuit bender thing-a-ma-call-it to put in there and go with it.

im gonna try to pop the plastic ibenez crap off the top of the head, might reshape, probably wont. other than that i think its gonna keep that RG shape unless i get drunk and wana play with the router, but it dosnt look like i can take much off anywhere without really making it look odd.

finish is in the air, the guitar is basswood so i cant do a natural finish, which would be my first choice. since this thing is a metal guitar, and fitted with effects, i might as well do something out there. its looking like either a swirl dip paint job or get a giant wheel and do a spun splatter design then a airbrushed clear candy over it. my neighbor has airbrush kit and has done bikes/car parts, so free labor+paint. might go with a tinted clear that is "color changing" but mild. if neither of those pan out, i might do an airbrush design, but i really didnt want to "theme" this guitar too much, so it would be abstract to an extent.

i havnt decided on pickups yet but i want something thats gonna be good for punk or heavy rock. maybe emgs or SD blackouts, but i dont wana drop that cash. might do super distortions. im kidna at a loss for pickups at the moment to be honest.

pics will come soon.
Sounds great.

The innards of a boss pedal will fit just fine in a trem cavity. All yo have to do is remove the pots and run wires to wherever you want them to go.

This has given me a good idea for a mod to my yamaha.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo