So I have this tiny super sensitive mic that I hooked up to a 3.5mm plug and into my mic slot on the computer. I tried running it through my amp, and being mono just like a guitar it shouldv'e just worked but didn't. I just ran the two wires to the guitar plug cable end and go nothing, tried all ways. I've used a regular mic through an amp no problem. What gives?
It will never work. Those are made for computers.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
we are the pit .. we don't know about stuff like this

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by DirtyMakik
It will never work. Those are made for computers.

This. It sends it in a format the computer understands, it doesn't send it the way a guitar or performance mic does to an amp.
Quote by herby190
This. It sends it in a format the computer understands, it doesn't send it the way a guitar or performance mic does to an amp.

Digital=/=Analog.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
O well shouldv'e said it was from a little digital camera, I figured that mics are the same since they are just the two wires running through it with the magnet and the amplifier sends power though it same as the pc would. What kind of setups do vocal mics use?
Quote by ldiablo233
O well shouldv'e said it was from a little digital camera, I figured that mics are the same since they are just the two wires running through it with the magnet and the amplifier sends power though it same as the pc would. What kind of setups do vocal mics use?

They're called Condensator mics.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
you really are all wrong.

first, it should, in theory work, but the voltages generated are probably way too small. Or you could have broken it.

it will be a regular cartridge mic, same as a normal vocal microphone, only much smaller. Condensers are use for recording things like drum cymbals, or audiences and are much less sensitive to distace or directioni (ie, you can use one ore two two record a whole audience, without putting the gain right up), they also require a 48v Phantom Voltage to work.

it is NOT digital. There is no such thing as a digital microphone. It is impossible because of the way microphones operate, there is circuitry availabe that will convert the analogue varying voltage created by a microphone into a digital signal however, this does not work through the line-in on a PC, which is, for all intents and purposes, the same as the input on your amp, only stereo.

Basically, it should in theory, work, but there are a number of reasons why it might not, the most obvious being that you broke it at some point in your expermimentation. It shouldn't matter which way around you connect the wires either, the voltage difference will remain the same, which is the important thing.

TL;DR it should just work, but you probably broke it.

Quote by noxiosimitator
we are the pit .. we don't know about stuff like this

oh and, I think we can safely say that one of us, at least, does.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.