Ironically this is probably the stupiest thread ever, not hiding that here. But after a small boating accident when I was very young my top third of my pinky is bent at about a 35 degree angle. Both of my pinkies were bent from birth but obviously this one is worse. I was wondering firstly if anyone has bent pinkies? aha silly question I know, but its somewhat of an issue.

Ive noticed that my stretch and ability to play some chords are limited and take massive practice but im somewhat getting over the fact that my pinky is limiting my playing to pinkyless chords.

So does anyone have a bent pinky?
The guy that taught me for a while had a very bent pinky as well. He used it to do barre chords all the time. You instead of going 1/3/4 on a chord he'd just bar the third and fifth with his pinky. Worked out nicely actually.

I'm assuming you mean in.

That guy taught me to play Phantom of the Opera by iron maiden. He's a great guitar player.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
I fell of a wall that was not properly braced off at work. I can not straighten the middle knuckle on my left pinky.I play bass and my stretch is somewhat limited but Ifind ways to compensate.
Thats awesome to hear rylan, I always hoped that someone was in the same situation as me. I guess theres always ways to adjust to the situations your given. Thanks alot anyone else?
Yeah. Eighth grade basketball game I was goin downcourt on a fastbreak with the ball. Long story short, ball got stolen, but my pinky was hooked on the side. Broken all the way through and left my pinky weak and gimpy. It hooks our at a weird angle that makes it really hard to play chords I need my pinky for.

I've learned to compensate though. It just takes a long time for me to get my finger right, but if I'm playing a song where I can transition from a suspended chord to a regular chord, such as Dsus4 to G
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Nov 3, 2008,
Mine wasn't a pinky problem. One day, i just woke up and my left hand wouldn't close without a lot of pain. Scared the crap out of me. Especially since i had a concert to play two days after that.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Gnomefry, do you mean that they are still broken? :P Or that they were broken and now arent useful. Judging by your guitar and bass collection (nice btw) you are a decent player without the need for a pinky.

Very interesting.
Quote by Jaskkes
Gnomefry, do you mean that they are still broken? :P Or that they were broken and now arent useful. Judging by your guitar and bass collection (nice btw) you are a decent player without the need for a pinky.

Very interesting.

I meant that they were broken and they don't help me and they still are crooked. Thanks for the gear compliments also.
Hey bro, I have bent pinkies too. I've been born with them, and both bend inwards. It took me a while to get power chords done, but I'm fine with those. However, I can't use them in shreds and sweeps..I guess you gotta use them up with slow or leads that aren't so technical. I have several videos of me playing guitar on Youtube, and yeah, it shows that I've adapted with only 3 fingers, but I constantly work on using the pinky for leads and what not. Good luck...if there is anything I can help with, just send a message or something. Take care
I was born with bent pinkies as well, mines bend inwards also. I have yet to come across a big problem with them, its really only when I pull some difficult chords.

If it really bothers you, you can get an operation on them, but I didnt see the point since it doesnt effect me that much.
I have a brutal yet probably effective idea. put your pinky in a vice and straighten it. Viola!
^ That certainly can't be good for you, forcing your pinky to go straight. XD
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I haven't been in any accident or anything, but I have naturally very bent little fingers (and moderately bent other fingers). Just got used to it.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
almost all my fingers are bent

a bit
and it looks weird because my fingers are really big
Both my pinky's have been broken for awhile.
Im 29 now(30 in a few months..geesh time..)
Anyways I punched a stop sign with my right hand when I was 17. Boxers fracture (Broken)
And The left (fingering hand) I broke on an Ex-Girlfriends Brothers Face after he took my ****. Southpawed em!
I compensate and often wonder only about soloing, and if I'll ever be able to do it..
I no longer wonder, I know I can!
Yeah..
If you sit and dwell on the hardships of life, they WILL chain you!
Holy thread from the dead Batman!

Anyway, since I posted in this thread originally, I've taught myself to use my pinky quite efficiently now. You just have to work past the obstacles that your body naturally holds before you. Do this, and you'll be just fine
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have bent fingers from birth as well its called clynodactyly. It really doesn't affect my playing people just tell me my fingers look weird... Assholes should keep it to themselves.

How do i rezise the image? I didn't know my cellphone took such big pictures...
My fretting pinky is bent to where it is under my ring finger. It's really annoying and hard to use. I broke it when I played basketball in middle school and it never healed well after.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.