The Decemberists
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
jethro tull if your in the mood for heavy blind guardian is good they are folk metal
Quote by D-Fens
Bright Eyes
The Decemberists

I am going Nov 7. to see Conor.

The Spinto Band.
You should check out the Beta Band. They are defined as Folk-Hop. A mix of Trip-Hop with Folk. Very interesting and definitely worth listening to. A good place to start is Dry the Rain. Youtube it and enjoy.
Early Bob Dylan is obvious. Also, Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Leonard Cohen is essential.

Early Elliot Smith too. Oh, and Pink Moon by Nick Drake is one of the best things you will ever here. His other albums are fantastic too.

Other essentials;

Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank The Cradle, Our Endless Numbered Days

The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee, All Hail West Texas

José Gonzalez - Veneer

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See A Darkness (Alt. Country, but mandatory)

Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

And that should get you started.
I will add The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas to that list

and second hugely Iron & Wine - Creek Drank the Cradle and Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Away It's Morning
Devendra Banhart

neutral milk hotel
joni mitchell
little wings
mount eerie
sufjan stevens

those are the first ones that come to mind.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Fairport Convention
Flook
Spiers and Boden
Lunasa
Fotheringay
Gravenhurst (for a sort of folk-gaze sound)

These contain some older folk bands, rather than the more modern pop-folk that's being cited mostly. What kind of stuff is TS interested in?
Folks in new-age clothing playing bizarre stringed instruments, or just singer/songwriter style softer playing?
Quote by 11yunited
These contain some older folk bands, rather than the more modern pop-folk that's being cited mostly. What kind of stuff is TS interested in?
Folks in new-age clothing playing bizarre stringed instruments, or just singer/songwriter style softer playing?

well, he didn't state. other people suggested new poppy stuff, so i suggested some more traditional and instrumental based folk.
Quote by korinaflyingv
well, he didn't state. other people suggested new poppy stuff, so i suggested some more traditional and instrumental based folk.

while i listen to some blind guardian and found it enjoyable im more in the mood for traditional folk
Quote by korinaflyingv

Lol.. I was actually gonna go further down your path and take him on a wacky tour of Steeleye and maybe some of the stuff that's been at Cambridge in the past few years..
Quote by 11yunited
Lol.. I was actually gonna go further down your path and take him on a wacky tour of Steeleye and maybe some of the stuff that's been at Cambridge in the past few years..

i was gonna mention steeleye, but for some reason didn't *shrugs*
I don't know much at all about the Cambridge folk scene, could you name a few artists? (i might know some of them, just not in connection with cambridge)
Quote by korinaflyingv
i was gonna mention steeleye, but for some reason didn't *shrugs*
I don't know much at all about the Cambridge folk scene, could you name a few artists? (i might know some of them, just not in connection with cambridge)

Well I was referring to the fest, so there's a variety - probably a list on the web somewhere. I found a few impressive artists from being there, like Martin Simpson and Kate Rusby, but that learning curve was more a result of general ignorance than their music being unknown on the folk scene.
Saw Seth Lakeman at Cropredy this year (as well as Supergrass - wtf?!), and Show of Hands last year...
Quote by 11yunited
Well I was referring to the fest, so there's a variety - probably a list on the web somewhere. I found a few impressive artists from being there, like Martin Simpson and Kate Rusby, but that learning curve was more a result of general ignorance than their music being unknown on the folk scene.
Saw Seth Lakeman at Cropredy this year (as well as Supergrass - wtf?!), and Show of Hands last year...

Seth Lakeman wasn't at Cropredy this year, that was last year
And Supergrass were great! Levellers pwned them though.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Seth Lakeman wasn't at Cropredy this year, that was last year
And Supergrass were great! Levellers pwned them though.

Oh yeah.. good point. I think I possibly meant that. The years can all merge into one a bit.
Although, TBH, I thought last year was better. Whole heap of reasons, weather sadly included.
Yeah last year was incredible. Seth Lakeman + Jools Holland + Demon Barbers + Liege and Lief + Mammoth Fairport Set = HUGE win

But still, this year was by no means bad. Levellers were the highlight IMO, and Robert Plant coming on was a nice touch. Also really enjoyed the Bob Marley tribute... never seen so many people blazing at a folk festival before...
well i would highly recommend in this order
1.) noah and the whale
2.) neutral milk hotel
than theres the rest of the highly typical ones, iron and wine, bright eyes, super grass etc.
Defiance, Ohio
Evan Greer
Paul Baribeau
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Ghost Mice

those are some good ones.
Some of these are repeats:

Noah and the Whale
Leonard Cohen
Woody Guthrie
The Weepies
Ani DiFranco
Andrew Bird
David Wilcox
and obviously Bob Dylan
WOODY GUTHRIE!!!! FTW!!!!

And take a look at Old Crowe Medicine Show...went to concert on the 28th of Jan. and since it was their first concert of the year they stayed after the show and I got autographs and I gotta talk to them...'twas sweet.
Pot
Kettle
Black
I don't really listen to folk bands too much, but for some reason I've been listening to Seabear a bunch lately. Their music is strangely soothing for me.
Last edited by germaphobe at Feb 15, 2009,
if you want good modern folk music check out:

fleet foxes
bon iver
blitzen trapper
grizzly bear
akron/family
devendra banhart
megapuss
vetiver
holopaw
califone
calexico
ugly casanova
Quote by sydbarrettsaves
school of seven bells

really?

try woods and twinsistermoon, i guess not really essential, but good.
I just got the Fleet Foxes album a couple days ago. Very enjoyable album.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Page 1 of 2