I posted a thread about modding a flying v awhile ago, but I have this strat, and basically the pickups are really thin. They sound great clean, but distorted they aren't cutting it, and I need a "metal guitar" to be the opposite of my gretsch (by metal I just mean nice fat distortion.

I opened it up and was happy to find that it's routed for HSS. So I'm going to make it into a fat strat.

So as you know, I play ska. But I also play hardcore punk and skacore (which includes some br00t4l breakdowns) Don't tell me my deville can't put out this gain, I'll take care of that.

What I need from UG is some pickups to be recommended. I was going to get a dimarzio d activator X for my flying v, and I think I MIGHT want to do the same for my strat, but I want some more recomondations.

I also need to know if I need to change out pots, I'm going to keep the other two original single coils. Just need a new humbucker.

I'm also going to change out the pickguard and knobs to somthing darker . Possibly tortise shell pickguard with black knobs. But probably all black.

Link's are appreciated. I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg, so I'm just going to say, keep it cheap as possible.

and if you're wondering about the flying v, I'm saving that for a rainy day.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
You dont need to change out the pots. Check out WDmusic.com for the pickguards, and Guitarfetish.com for alternative pickups.

EDIT: For pickups, I suggest a Big Mouth or Loudmouth from GFS, or maybe a Duncan Distortion.
Thanks for the pickguard site, expensive though.

Oh and I forgot the mention, it'd be great if the bucker did cleans too. I hate switching pickups all the time.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
hm, maybe a custom 5?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you hate switching pickups all the time? What you cant flick a switch?

Anyway, I hear SD Blackouts are good for metal but also for cleans? Anyone wanna back me up?
Quote by guitarcam123
you hate switching pickups all the time? What you cant flick a switch?

Alot of the times I miss, it takes too long (by the time i flip it to the right pickup and turn the drive off i come in late) I forget sometimes, and it's just annoying with all the other things you hafta do, especially when you're on stage in the heat of the moment, running back to my footswitch is a hassle enough.

And aren't blackouts active? I'm probably wrong but for some reason I think they are.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
fair enough...

Yeah blackouts are active. but if your worried about having to route for the battery, you wont have to.. it should just fit in the control cavity Although actives don't peform to their best with a solid state amp.
how about a nice dimarzio breed for the bridge?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by guitarcam123
fair enough...

Yeah blackouts are active. but if your worried about having to route for the battery, you wont have to.. it should just fit in the control cavity Although actives don't peform to their best with a solid state amp.

I have a tube amp....

But actives aren't good for cleans, and I don't like them anyways. And I'm pretty sure putting the battery in the control cavity is a bad idea
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by oneblackened
hm, maybe a custom 5?

who makes that?

Quote by forsaknazrael
1 - Stick a Seymour Duncan TB-11 in the bridge position.
2 - Use the bridge for distortion.
3 - ?????
4 - profit!

I can't find that pickup.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Yeah I know all about that site, It' just, you can't order off of it.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Okay I couldn't find the SH-14 before, but Now I did.

I think I'm going with that one. 75 bucks.
thanks you.

I also need more sites to get pickguards, knobs (It'd be cool if I could find some novelty knobs eg. dice or somthing corny)

Any suggestions?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Before you drop $75 at a retail place, scout the used crap stores, like eBay.

Pickups don't really "break" all that often, so a decent pair of SDs will be much cheaper used.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Before you drop $75 at a retail place, scout the used crap stores, like eBay.

Pickups don't really "break" all that often, so a decent pair of SDs will be much cheaper used.

For me ebay isn't an option for some personal reasons, I always consider used, but I have a few problems with a few things.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
That is really odd, but OK man...

I guess get them of MF, or go to a local guitar shop to see if they have any.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.