Let me preface this by apologizing for asking a question that has already probably been answered 100x. I have been doing research here and on other sites but would like to get a response that is somewhat customized to my own situation.

I played guitar back in high school, mainly punk/hardcore. After a 10+ year break, I got out my guitar and amp about a year ago and have been going about things the right way this time. I have played 4 different instruments, including piano for 11 years, so I'm probably a little ahead of the curve for someone only playing a short time. I like to play death metal, a little power metal, and non-mainstream pop punk (Dillinger Four, Lawrence Arms, NoFX, Loved Ones, etc...). I'm getting my Ph.D. in a month and want to reward myself with a new amp, preferably in the $200-350 range. I definitely don't see myself gigging anytime in the near future, but I also want something that sounds better than the horrible Fender Frontman I bought back in 1997. I don't even know the wattage on it, I think it says 38W on the back, but it sounds like garbage. However, I have been able to make it sound ok with a Boss MT-2 (I know the official stance of this board is that the Metal Zone blows, but I'm ok with it for my needs, so don't recommend that I get a Metal Muff instead).

I have:

Mexican Strat (bought back in 1997)
Fender Frontman
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2 (the hum from the single coils and the MT-2 was so bad, and this thing completely got rid of that)

Now, one thing to say is I do not care about the clean channel. I hardly play anything clean. I have been thinking about getting the Roland Cube 30, which everyone here seems to like, but then I pretty much have two pedals that are useless, including the NS-2 which I bought recently. Instead, I was considering the Crate V50-112 or some other amp without a lot of effects, and running my pedals through the clean channel. I really have no clue what to do though. Also, I'd be open to maybe getting a bridge humbucker, but that's another area completely.

So, should I go with a digital modeling amp like the Cube 30, or go another direction and get a tube without many effects? Any other suggestions will be welcome.
The Crate can't really get heavey and the Boss will kill any of it's natural tone.

The cube is perfect for you and will have plenty of gain so you won't need the MT-2

Just make sure to get 30w or higher for the cube series
Let me preface this by saying props on the PhD.

I'd recommend the Vox Valvetronix amps. People bash on them a lot for their high gain, but with adjustments and an overdrive pedal I get a pretty sweet metal tone. They're hybrid, so it's sort of tube, and pretty affordable.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Does the strat not have 5 way switching and a reverse polarity middle pickup thus in switch positions 2 & 4 it's humbucking?

Anyway, the cube is the best way to go. Sell on the MT-2.

I would elaborate but i'm really tired.

X
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I would suggest the Black Heart combo tube amp. I got min efor 300.

If you have all of those pedals, no sense in getting a modelling amp. Most people will tell you to stay away from modelling amps.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
I would suggest the Black Heart combo tube amp. I got min efor 300.

If you have all of those pedals, no sense in getting a modelling amp. Most people will tell you to stay away from modelling amps.

Actually i'm an idiot, this is a much better idea.

X
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
Does the strat not have 5 way switching and a reverse polarity middle pickup thus in switch positions 2 & 4 it's humbucking?

X

Yes, you can get a humbucker effect when you're in between pickups. But I find that only the bridge pickup gives me the crunchy sound I'm really looking for. Even bridge + middle sounds a little too mellow for me
The Blackheart looks like a possibility and I hadn't heard of that before, so thanks. Amazon.com has it for $279.99. You were referring to the 5 watt one right?
Go out and try the cube 30x on the r-fier setting, it should do metal much better than your metalzone pedal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Somebody on CL is selling a Peavey Classic 30 112 for 275. I inquired but haven't heard back. I'd need to keep my pedal for this thing right?
Quote by PublickStews
Somebody on CL is selling a Peavey Classic 30 112 for 275. I inquired but haven't heard back. I'd need to keep my pedal for this thing right?

That's a steal. Grab it. Keep your pedals. If you can, that is.
Quote by mcrfobtai
The Crate can't really get heavey and the Boss will kill any of it's natural tone.

The cube is perfect for you and will have plenty of gain so you won't need the MT-2

Just make sure to get 30w or higher for the cube series

+1

also good luck in your phd.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK - like someone else said earlier, BIG respect on getting your PhD man, awesome.

Firstly I have as my amps a Roland Cube 30X and as a practice amp I have to say it is one of the top in it's class. I also have a Laney TT50 Combo (all tube). Now I would invariably point in the direction of a tube amp, suggestions which have already appeared such as the Blackheart and Peavey Classic would be ideal purchases and you can run your pedals through them with great joy. Also ones to look out for are the Epiphone Valve Junior / Senior, and maybe a Fender Blues Junior.

However, I would also suggest a Line6 Flextone III - this is due to the fact that you mentioned you wouldn't be gigging. It is a great modelling amp with good cleans (even though you won't worry about that). The Spider series by said company gets a lot of stick. But this amp (and upwards) are totally worth their price. At the end of the day if you ever did start gigging you could plug straight into the PA with this amp or keep it as your practice rig and invest in a tube amp down the line / should you feel the need.

Congratz on a good job and happy hunting
Well my Ph.D. is in history so even if I get a job I'm not going to be making a ton of money. Also even if I do land one I'll still be living in an apartment and figured a 5150 combo would be overkill
Well, I was a day late on the Peavey Classic. I'm definitely leaning towards selling the MT-2 and getting the Cube 30x. I guess this will serve as one last bump until the weekend. Part of me wants to just keep playing on my shit amp since I'm not good enough to deserve a better one, and save up for something better LOL
I'd skip the Blackheart and Peavey. They're really not metal or hardcore type of amps, not on their own.

The Cube is a good option, thought personally, I'd go up for the 60, just to have the option of being loud enough to play with a drummer.

I'm also going to second the used Line 6 Flextone III. Great modeling amp, I prefer it to the Cube. My buddy just picked up a used on for 250 bucks, though I see them go for closer to 350-400 on craigslist.org usually.
Quote by PublickStews
Well my Ph.D. is in history so even if I get a job I'm not going to be making a ton of money. Also even if I do land one I'll still be living in an apartment and figured a 5150 combo would be overkill

It's not. And if you play mostly metal, get it. Seriously. I use a 6505 combo for bedroom playing and it sounds great. I use a couple of different overdrive pedals for quality sounding tones at a bedroom volume. I love this amp. It is truely "my tone". The Peavey Triple X is also a bad ass amp, they can be found fairly cheap used in both combo and head form. The Peavey Vypyr is also a KILLER practice amp. MUCH better than the Cube's everybody else is recommending.