So after months of searching and buying/returning amps, I think I've settled on a Traynor YCS50 after trying it out for about an hour. I play mostly stuff like Saosin, Senses Fail, Underoath, Secret and whisper, and I am currently TRYING to learn some Protest the hero. So I like high gain, but I don't need super metal high gain, although I think a OD could get me there with this amp. I really like the tone, but I'd just like to get some overall opinions on this amp, like is it reliable, does it take pedals well, have you used a good OD with it etc...

Just let me know anything you know about this amp.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
I own a Traynor YCS-50. It's quite a versatile amp. I play a wide range of styles, from Tool to Pink Floyd to AC/DC style classic rock and it can do all of them well. I really can't get a tone out of it I don't like, lol. Reliability-wise, it seems really solid for the 3 or so months I've owned it. I did retube it with some Ruby 6L6's and various 12AX7's from Doug's Tubes and it really can get a wide range of tones. It can be a little bright but that probably has more to do with me playing with a Strat than anything else. I can't wait to get an Edwards LP so I can coax some warmer tones out of it. When looking at amps it was down to either the YCS or a used Mesa F-series for me. I went for versatility and am pleased. For your styles, it would work well, though I would still check out the Mesa F-50 or similar, as they are slightly more suited to high gain. Play all that you can and go with what your ears tell you and you can't go wrong. Moving up form my MG was the best thing I could have done.

As for pedals, it takes them just as good as any amp. I've used my OCD in front of it as a boost and it can definitely scream, though the OCD by nature is more of a standalone OD pedal. I'm sure a TS-808 or other tubescreamer would complement it great as a solo boost or the like. Hope I helped!
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
This amp is exactly what I'm looking at getting also. Just gotta pretty much deposit these checks I've had for weeks and then I can order one. I wish I could try it out. Could you tell me a little more about the amp?
~
Rock (Coheed and Cambria / MintJam (JPN)). I would love to get into some Blues and Jazz. I was going to get a Classic 30 until I saw this amp, and I'm definitely loving the specs, just not the price tag. xD

We should probably take this discussion elsewhere so I don't hijack mrextreme's thread.
~
Mm...it's all good. If you want, there's an ultimate Traynor thread. Search the GGA for it. Various YCS50 owners may see your question.

But to get to your question, the YCS 50 has more gain than the Classic 30, so that may be right up your alley. Don't expect exact Coheed tones, they use Bogners, IIRC, either a Shiva or Uberschall...And the YCS50 doesn't have that much gain, nor the exact same voicing. I don't know too much about it, but based off the specs, it should be more versatile than most amps that can do high gain, so it will be able to do blues and lighter shades of rock, if you want to branch out that way.
Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the info ;D. You guys here are the greatest.
~
Quote by forsaknazrael
But to get to your question, the YCS 50 has more gain than the Classic 30, so that may be right up your alley. Don't expect exact Coheed tones, they use Bogners, IIRC, either a Shiva or Uberschall...And the YCS50 doesn't have that much gain, nor the exact same voicing. I don't know too much about it, but based off the specs, it should be more versatile than most amps that can do high gain, so it will be able to do blues and lighter shades of rock, if you want to branch out that way.

Just to add on to what forsakn said, it is a great amp that will do any style, definitely enough gain for Coheed and Cambria, and it does lighter music great too. It's got the US/British switch on the clean channel and it's got this "expander" switch which makes it sound less trebly and pretty acoustic like, so you can get any clean sound you want.

It seems like a good amp and since no ones said anything bad about it, it looks like I'll be getting it sometime soon.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Definitely doesn't get all the credit it deserves. I searched for months before getting this one and am still impressed by it after about 8 months. It will get pretty heavy if you want it to... just select the modern and scoop switches, engage the boost and turn the gain levels up. The adjustable boost acts like a boost in front of the amp IMO. I also have a bad monkey that i've tried with it and it will tighten up the sound some more and add some nice compression but you get that with the built in boost.
The YCS series are great amps, just like their YCV relatives. ****ing love my YCS100 head. Im not sure about the 50, but the 100 can definitly get into high gain territory with the boost switches.