Okay, so on friday i am buying my new guitar (still undecided on what it will be though )

I really don't wanna pay full price on a guitar in the 600-800$ price range, cause then I'll be broke till my next pay check (november 21st?)

What are some good barganing tips?

How much should I expect to get off?

* in montreal we have a 14% sales tax
punch him in the belly and say "You'll take 400!"
no..

find scratches,marks,befriend the salesman,come back and ask if u can get worker pricing,or say u only have 550 or like 35 bucks less then the guitar ends up being
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Last edited by nowa90 at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by Swap-Meet
does that kind of negotiating work?

The salesman will rather sell you a guitar for $500 instead of $600, rather than not sell you a guitar at all. If you stress that you have these hundreds of dollars, but just not enough to match the asking price, they may relent and just take what money you do have (within reason).
Quote by blue_strat
The salesman will rather sell you a guitar for $500 instead of $600, rather than not sell you a guitar at all. If you stress that you have these hundreds of dollars, but just not enough to match the asking price, they may relent and just take what money you do have (within reason).

ha, true...how much of a cut do salesmen usually get?
Quote by Swap-Meet
ha, true...how much of a cut do salesmen usually get?

Depends on the store. Guitar Center used to pay commission, but I don't think they do any more. However, an independent store will make far greater allowances, as they have a personal stake in the business.
Guitar center will not negotiate. Remember that.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by blue_strat
Depends on the store. Guitar Center used to pay commission, but I don't think they do any more. However, an independent store will make far greater allowances, as they have a personal stake in the business.

arent they still paid on commussion?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Just ask the salesman what the best deal they can give you in it is. This will force them into a fear of losing a sale if what they are going to say will disappoint you.
Sells man: "That's a nice guitar, you should buy it =D"
You: "It's too bad I don't have enough money...ah well I guess I'll just leave."
Sells man: "how much less"
You: "200 bucks less then the price"
Sells man: "...gimme a bj and i'll make it 400 off"
You: "...what?"
Sells man: "Huh?Oh nothing."

All jokes aside. Honestly just be friendly, talk to the guy, make it personal 'How many guitars do you have?' 'What kinda guitars do you have?' 'How long have you been playing' 'What's your favorite band'

Kinda treat him as you would a friend.

Basic Principle: Friends can get you discounts.
Look honestly, take the money in cash there (it's a technique my teach used before and it worked well) And when he says "this guitar is really nice" and whatever, and you say "aw man..all i have is *pulls money out* This much, and it's about 500 bucks. So I can't buy it"

Putting the money on the table makes them go "OOOO GREEN PAPER THINGY ME WANT SO ME GET GOOD MONIEZ"
Quote by dookie_dude_
14%!?!?!?, and we bitch so much about our taxing...

Welcome to Canadian taxing. That's why we have health care for free.

Still kinda sucks though.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by ChrisL120
Look honestly, take the money in cash there (it's a technique my teach used before and it worked well) And when he says "this guitar is really nice" and whatever, and you say "aw man..all i have is *pulls money out* This much, and it's about 500 bucks. So I can't buy it"

Putting the money on the table makes them go "OOOO GREEN PAPER THINGY ME WANT SO ME GET GOOD MONIEZ"

Yeah, i'm not exactly comfortable with walking around with 600 bucks in my pocket... especially since i tend to lose shit..

Quote by Dudage
Welcome to Canadian taxing. That's why we have health care for free.

Still kinda sucks though.

Quebec tax is highest, I beleive
Quote by Swap-Meet
Yeah, i'm not exactly comfortable with walking around with 600 bucks in my pocket... especially since i tend to lose shit..

Quebec tax is highest, I beleive

You're probably right. I know we pay a bit less (12.5 or 13%) here.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
dont expect a huge deal. if the guy even budges, expect maybe $50 bucks MAX!
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by Swap-Meet

Well I don't mean literally. Just imply that you've got quite a bit of money on you, and insist that you came there to buy a guitar but if the guitar you wanted wasn't there you'd take your money else where. If they lose business, they get a bad rep.

BTW GC guys get like 10% or something of each purchase. So

If you go in wanting to buy a squier strat. That's 10 dollars to them [depending on which you buy but i mean the affinity series is 100 bucks]. So when you ask "what guitar SHOULD I get"
To them the 2250 dollar Gibson Les Paul with an ebony finish looks much better then the 100 dollar Squier strat with a black finish and ebony fretboard.

Just for the record.
Hmm...on the GC no-negotiating rule, has anyone actually tested that out? Did they let you bargain? And unfortunately I have no connections
i got $150 off of my last guitar purchase. (australian dollars)

if you have someone that you know wants to buy a guitar as well take them with you and you will get far greater discount if you buy both guitars in the same transaction.

failing that

you know what you want right?? if so go in and ask the asisstant whats good for what you play (act like a noob to some degree) and then go to the one that you want and ask him to play and yea express how much you like it and stuff and if he asks if you want to buy it say uhh ive really only got $20 dollars less than what you have and ask him if you can go that low. If he says no can you go any higher say maybe $20 higher but thats it.
he should say ok, or Ill check with my manager, but if he says no be prepared to walk away and come back in a few days or go to another shop.
Quote by Swap-Meet
but the guitar I am leaning towards getting is the PRS SE and it's 654...I doubt he'll give me 200$ off...think I could get 50 off and without taxes?

i think you could get it down to $550 if your good enough
Go in and say "I have X amount with me in cash" and they'll usually let it slide, as long as X is reasonable.
Like, I got my Laney GH50L for $1050 instead of the $1200 they wanted for it, because I said that's all I had.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Good luck, though.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by ec50playa
i got $150 off of my last guitar purchase. (australian dollars)

if you have someone that you know wants to buy a guitar as well take them with you and you will get far greater discount if you buy both guitars in the same transaction.

failing that

you know what you want right?? if so go in and ask the asisstant whats good for what you play (act like a noob to some degree) and then go to the one that you want and ask him to play and yea express how much you like it and stuff and if he asks if you want to buy it say uhh ive really only got $20 dollars less than what you have and ask him if you can go that low. If he says no can you go any higher say maybe $20 higher but thats it.
he should say ok, or Ill check with my manager, but if he says no be prepared to walk away and come back in a few days or go to another shop.

how much was your guitar?
today i got 100 bucks knocked off a hellraiser because its been on the rack a while and had some scratches on the back. He even said that if I walked out today with it he'd take off the taxes. You just have to talk to them and be honest.
seems to be quite a bit easier to get extra stuff thrown in with, than to actually knock off the price from my experience and what my friends have done
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders