i play mostly rock/hard rock/metal. think rage, qotsa, metallica.
but i also play clean, blues, jazz, indie, punk etc.
i have £350 budget and i will be gigging straight after xmas.
i also need a wah pedal, and a whammy, because i will mainly be doing ratm covers.
now, i ask this. i've heard that the laney is a better amp, and is worth the extra 70-100 pounds. so which do i go for?
if i get the laney i will need another £100 for an o.d pedal which i dont really have but i could get.

tl:dr, is it really worth an extra £200 for a laney when i can get the valveking £200 cheaper and get pedals i really need ,
^yes it really is worth the extra 200 and you should go for it.
the valveking is a nice amp but in the end of the day its just a cheap tube amp.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 3, 2008,
everyone says this, but i will be playing rock/hard rock/metal a lot more than any other genres and also, i am hoping to change the speaker soon after getting. still vc30?
A speaker swap will do wonders for a VK. I'm not too sure about the VC30 but it really cleans up the mud the amp puts out stock... you'll also need an overdrive pedal to really push the VK to do metal, but it's been known to be able to do metal anyway. It'll eat up hard rock for breakfast though.

See this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CI117wHoKQ
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i say youll need an EQ pedal too along with an od for the VK. i dont like my metal tone when my Eq pedal is kicked off. Check out the clips in my profile. eq,od and no speaker swap.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by THEKID546
^yes it really is worth the extra 200 and you should go for it.
the valveking is a nice amp but in the end of the day its just a cheap tube amp.

not if you mod it.
Get a Boogera.

Specifically a 333xl

Or even better: Fish around for a used Laney AOR.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Neither of those amps are really metal amps.

If you really play all those genres...I'd say to check out a LIne 6 Flextone III. Great modeling amp, should be under your budget.

+1
make sure you check out sg622's new clip in his profile. "Original Song (rough draft)" I think is the name.

you can find it on the 3rd post of page 1 of The VK Thread which is in my profile. ALso check the new clip of a stock VK112 in post production (the one with the stars by it).

this amp is a decent low budget amp that can do cleans, blues, jazz, rock, and 'tallica type stuff on it's own. Pedals can take it further as can the 'mods' mentioned.

nothing wrong with the other suggestions as well.