Hey everyone. I'm in the Band leading forum, so i'm hoping that I get serious answers from everyone. ok. So, I am the lead guitarist for our band and I have been the organizer since getting started. We got a awesome singer and hes one of the coolest dudes I know, and hes a 16 yo highschool dropout. This weekend I heard that he was telling someone that he was kicked out of schol for having a gun. I dont knnow how to approach them, and I know its prolly a rare situation. Any advice.

Also, he doesnt act depressed or withdrawn. He hates drugs with a passion.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
kieth richards used to carry a gun worst comes to worst this guy shoots your guitar
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
just say, "so dude, how'd you get kicked out of school anyways?" and go from there
Start there. Yes. If it turns out that this kid is the kind of person to be carrying a gun.... seriously... get the f** out. You've only just turned 16 yourself. You've got your whole life ahead of you, and are at a stage in your life where you are typically more eager to please your peers than you would be as an adult. Hell... I'm old enough to be your dad, and I wouldn't hang out with someone who was known to carry a gun around. F** that. The best way not to get your hand eaten off by the tiger is to not stick your hand in the cage. You seriously don't want to go there.

Aside from that... he's 16 and has dropped out of high school already. Try to hold a personal standard to not hang around with others who will merely be a hanger-on at best, or who at worst will drag you down. You don't need crap like that - especially at 16. Hang with people who will help you bring out the best in yourself.

I say ditch 'im either way.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 3, 2008,
I'm talking to him tomorrow. I am not the kind to please people. In general I stay out of situations and dont take sides. I dont know what happened about the gun, I just know that he reffers to some "gun incident" on myspace, and is a very positive, logical person. Also, i trust very few people, pretty much extends to my parents, g.parents, and 2 of my friends( not him yet)
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
buy a gun yourself. approach him calmly. get 2 inches away from his face say"gimme the gun you sick ****er!!" then shove your gun into his crotch and frisk him.

if he has one, rape him at gun point(to show him who the alfa male is)

if he doesn't then appologize and use your Jedi mind powers to erase his memory.

seriously though, just don't piss him off and that is basically a personal body guard
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
You deserve to know the truth really, you should ask him.

Although, he sounds like the kind of enigmatic charcater that make for cool feature son your band!
Quote by axemanchris
Start there. Yes. If it turns out that this kid is the kind of person to be carrying a gun.... seriously... get the f** out. You've only just turned 16 yourself. You've got your whole life ahead of you, and are at a stage in your life where you are typically more eager to please your peers than you would be as an adult. Hell... I'm old enough to be your dad, and I wouldn't hang out with someone who was known to carry a gun around. F** that. The best way not to get your hand eaten off by the tiger is to not stick your hand in the cage. You seriously don't want to go there.

Aside from that... he's 16 and has dropped out of high school already. Try to hold a personal standard to not hang around with others who will merely be a hanger-on at best, or who at worst will drag you down. You don't need crap like that - especially at 16. Hang with people who will help you bring out the best in yourself.

I say ditch 'im either way.

CT

And piss off a guy who has a gun?

Nah, seriously I agree with chris in general here, but I'd probably look into him a little more before making a decision about what to do.
For all you know it could have been a fake or even just a water pistol. Or it could have been his dad's gun which he brought to school just to show off because he was young an' stupid, and now completely regrets his actions.
Hey, we all screw up occasionaly. I broke someones kneecaps in metalwork class at school with a hammer because I'd had enough of him bullying me, I didn't get expelled because his parents pulled him out of that school and the teachers could see it was just me reaching the end of a tether that had been going on since we'd first met at nursery school, (kindergarden) but I was suspended for a long time and I did get into serious trouble for my actions. I was charged as a minor, had to have psychological evaluation and I had to go to youth court. Thankfully the psychological evaluation and witnesses all said that I had simply cracked under great pressure after being tormented and bullied by this kid almost every day since I had entered the education system.

Find out exactly what happened, from him first, and if it was a real gun ask him how he feels about it now and while he answers, watch his face like a hawk for any signs of lying or emotional anguish and then check what he said against what everyone else said happened.
But don't take any chances with him either, if he says he's remorseful, but seems to be lying, if he seems to become suddenly emotionaly distraught, if he finds it funny and treats the whole thing as a joke, if you have the slightest doubt about him, trust your instincts and say goodbye to him.
Better safe than sorry in this instance.
Thanks Everyone. I don't think I'll have a problem getting the truth because he is huge on honesty. Who knows, it may just be some stuff like you sed taking his dads gun to school. Idk, I really need to talk to him about it.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude you need 2 first get a grip then go 2 his crib an when he is not looking have a search around if you find sumin then call the fuzz or try an et him 2 show u it with sumin like "i love shootin duck ya no we should do that one day, but neither of us has a gun...."
Quote by srg-slash
Dude you need 2 first get a grip then go 2 his crib an when he is not looking have a search around if you find sumin then call the fuzz or try an et him 2 show u it with sumin like "i love shootin duck ya no we should do that one day, but neither of us has a gun...."

... then WHO WAS PHONE?
Quote by srg-slash

Definitely talk to him. If you still feel unsure, ditch him.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
hey, so to clear everything up. I talked to my singer today and he sed that 5 years ago, he had a CO2 powered pellet gun that broke, and he took it to school 4 his friend to fix, and got caught giving it to him. So I do believe we in them band are safe in that sense and we still have a singer.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
lol, ya. I think it's kinda eased some tension, cuz our bassist overreacted and almost quit.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
lol, it sounds bad when you write it out, but it's one of those cases that if u knew him it would kinda make sense. He's smart as hell, you would never guess he wasn;t in school, especially wen you talk to him. One of those people that the way school works doesn't work for them.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
Communication is the key here. I hate it when people jump to conclusions based on a scrappy account of one side of the story.

Our bassist has a bad habit of that.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by racman92
lol, it sounds bad when you write it out, but it's one of those cases that if u knew him it would kinda make sense. He's smart as hell, you would never guess he wasn;t in school, especially wen you talk to him. One of those people that the way school works doesn't work for them.

OOH

yeah I know what you mean. I know kids like that. I sort of am, its just an inablity to engage my mind on a creative and philisophical level. I hate how society doesnt judge kids by thier intelligence like that.
Quote by srg-slash

Speaking of school dropouts....
i dont get why yall are freakin out cause the dude carries a gun, yes carrying it to school is a bad thing. but i very seldom go anywhere without a gun in my truck. illegal? yes, smart? i think. i know its very unlikely that ill ever need it but if i do then i know its there.

you dont need to find out if the guy was carrying a gun. you need to find out WHY he was carrying a gun. maybe he was threatened by someone and felt that he needed protection in case this other guy tried to do something. maybe he was showing off and regrets it now liek someone else said or maybe he was out for trouble. but finding out why he had the gun is the most important thing, dont judge someone who carries a gun, i carry one in my truck so does everyone i know and i plan on getting a license to carry a concealed weapon in the near future, ill be damned if im one of those people laying on their faces in a bank waiting to die if i can do anything about it.

EDIT: damn thats what i get for not reading the whole damn thread
Last edited by dmiwshicldply at Nov 10, 2008,
I wasn't freaking out about it. Actually, I really couldn't care less if he had done it, I just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't be a prob in the future. It was really that our bassist's mom freaked and threatened to tell our drummers parents who would have never let him in the house again (its where we practice), I just wondered if anyone had advice on handling the situation
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by racman92
I wasn't freaking out about it. Actually, I really couldn't care less if he had done it, I just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't be a prob in the future. It was really that our bassist's mom freaked and threatened to tell our drummers parents who would have never let him in the house again (its where we practice), I just wondered if anyone had advice on handling the situation

i hate it when people judge others based on something they know nothing about, like what your bassists mom was doing. its ridiculous, i understand her worrying about her kid but you would think she would be adult enough to find out the whole situation b4 she jumped to conclusions
ya, but jumping to conclusions runs in his family.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
From a parent's perspective, (I'm a parent of three school-age kids) I wouldn't be too keen on having a high-school dropout with a history of firearms issues into MY house with MY kids. F that. Door's locked buddy.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
From a parent's perspective, (I'm a parent of three school-age kids) I wouldn't be too keen on having a high-school dropout with a history of firearms issues into MY house with MY kids. F that. Door's locked buddy.

CT

I must admit, as a parent myself, in that situation I'd be exactly the same as chris.

As it turns out though, it wasn't really a firearms issue, it was just a pellet gun being taken to school for repair purposes. I realise that pellet guns are also dangerous but so are catapults, and kids used to run around all the time with them, so I wouldn't take possession of a pellet gun as seriously as possession of a firearm.
I would still be concerned however, and if the person acts like a dick, I'd find out every bit of dirt I possibly can on the little snot, tell my kid the details and tell them to keep their eye on him and let them come to their own decision about whether they really need someone like that in their band.
Why? Because I can remember being a rebelious teen myself and if my parents forbade me to hang out with someone, it'd just make me more determined to hang with them.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by SilentCivilian8
Who cares if he had a gun, my drummer got kicked out for the same thing. Just make sure he never played for Mayhem

Mayhem is the exact reason why you should care.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Did you read my post where I said "5 years ago, he had a CO2 powered pellet gun that broke, and he took it to school 4 his friend to fix, and got caught giving it to him."? I have a pellet gun, my dad has one, so? Hes not a bad kid and he is huge on honesty, and they ended up having to move out of CA bcuz of people with the perspective of axemanchris. He doesn't act like a dick, either.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by racman92
Did you read my post where I said "5 years ago, he had a CO2 powered pellet gun that broke, and he took it to school 4 his friend to fix, and got caught giving it to him."? I have a pellet gun, my dad has one, so? Hes not a bad kid and he is huge on honesty, and they ended up having to move out of CA bcuz of people with the perspective of axemanchris. He doesn't act like a dick, either.

If that is in reply to my post, I didn't say your friend was a dick, I said that if my kid was hanging around with a guy who played around with high powered pellet guns was was also a dick, I'd do whatever I could to encorage my kid to sever ties with him. Not because he has a high powered pellet gun, but because he's a dick.
Guns themselves are not particularly dangerous if handled correctly, it's the dicks who have guns that are dangerous.
I say this because I used to know a guy that I went to school with who used to carry an air pistol around all the time, mainly to try and impress people, but he accidenly shot me in the leg when he was messing around shooting at stones on the floor. (Infact, I still have the pellet in my leg. They found it when I had my knee x-rayed a few years ago, I never realised all those years ago that the pellet had actualy entered my leg, I'd just assumed it had bounced off but left my leg bleeding. The doctors said that if it had been there all those years without causing any problems, then there was no point operating to remove it.)
Y'see? It happened because he was a dick, but obviously if your friend isn't a dick, then you have nothing to worry about.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Guns themselves are not particularly dangerous if handled correctly, it's the dicks who have guns that are dangerous.

First off, amen to that.
My post was not in response to your post, it was a general response to everybody. What can I say, I was in a confrontational mood, I apologize to all those who were offended.
Oh, and sorry 'bout your leg.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
hahaha. funny story because i almost joined a band with someone who was kicked out of school for bringing a gun. im pretty sure the story was he was unpopular and trying to impress people, and his dad must have been in the army or had a licence to have a gun, but he effectively brang it to school to impress people. didnt realy go down the way he expected. but you have to sort of ask what reson he'd have to bring a gun to school.
Quote by racman92
First off, amen to that.
My post was not in response to your post, it was a general response to everybody. What can I say, I was in a confrontational mood, I apologize to all those who were offended.
Oh, and sorry 'bout your leg.