this is a question from my intro to music literature class. the class is more about the composers and their pieces, than the actual theory. there is some basic theory involved, but i still goes right over my head .

that being said, this is a question on my midterm and i have no idea what to do with it. it is a TAKE HOME midterm and he said we could use the internet if we got stuck, so you are in no way enabling me to cheat by helping me with this.

The tonic pitch and tonic chord are the primary pitch and chord of the key of a piece of music (C is the tonic pitch; and C, E (or E-flat), G is the tonic chord/triad of the key of C Major and Minor). What is the 2nd most important pitch and chord in the key of a piece, and which scale degree (#) is it?

basically im a theory n00b so if anyone could help explain this to me it would be much appreciated. the textbook is not helping me whatsoever...
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
^ wow that is a bit vague unfortunately, however i would say the V chord. 5-1 is an incredibly common resolution. depending on the key it would either be V-I or V-i (major 5th to minor first has a bit more of a resolved feeling than a minor 5th to a minor 1st. im not sure how any chord is more important than any other chord since depending on the context and their usage i would say all chords are equally important. but for the purposes of resolution i would say the 5 chord.
Yeah i would have to say the five chord also since the (most common?) cadences are perfect authentic, imperfect authentic, and half cadences all of which use the the five chord. I guess that doesnt neccessarily mean that it is the most important but it is probable that it is or atleast most common. I am also in a theory class right now but instead of focusing on pieces we mostly concentrate on the theory and i love my class . i hope you enjoy ur class as much as i enjoy mine. I know i pretty much repeated everything that z4twenny said but i thought i would chime in anyway. Later
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
The tonic pitch and tonic chord are the primary pitch and chord of the key of a piece of music (C is the tonic pitch; and C, E (or E-flat), G is the tonic chord/triad of the key of C Major and Minor). What is the 2nd most important pitch and chord in the key of a piece, and which scale degree (#) is it?
The two guys above me are right.

Just to help a bit more the name for the fifth scale degree and the chord built upon it is the Dominant.
So the most important is the Tonic (1st scale degree) in the key of C - C is the tonic pitch and C E (or Eb) G is the tonic chord.
The 2nd most important pitch and chord in the key of a piece of music is the Dominant (5th scale degree) in the key of C - G is the dominant pitch and G B (or Bb) D is the dominant chord.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
The two guys above me are right.

Just to help a bit more the name for the fifth scale degree and the chord built upon it is the Dominant.
So the most important is the Tonic (1st scale degree) in the key of C - C is the tonic pitch and C E (or Eb) G is the tonic chord.
The 2nd most important pitch and chord in the key of a piece of music is the Dominant (5th scale degree) in the key of C - G is the dominant pitch and G B (or Bb) D is the dominant chord.

*copy > paste*

*whistles innocently*

thank you. i semi understood what everyone else was saying, but you simplified it enough so i could actually get the jist of it.

thank you.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"