I posted here a few days ago about which bass to buy. I went and I bought. The bass I bought had a fret buzz problem above the 12th fret. They said it would be fixed by today.

So, the guy who was supposed to fix it called and said it can't be fixed. I now have to get a different bass. The only other bass the store sells are Squier P-Basses. Looks like I have to get that now.

Anyone had any experience with a Squier P-Bass? Would you recommend it to me (I'm not a n00b, I know how to handle my stringed instruments and would like a quality instrument).
Last edited by coryklok at Nov 3, 2008,
Get one a a nice pair of rotosound or la bella flatwounds and you can get yourself a pretty good tone.
ah well, I'm sorry to hear that.
The bass is a good one if you're just starting out. Not high quality but definately decent.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Guess what?

Most music store employees have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to, well, anything, and that includes setup and repairs. There is absolutely no reason why such a problem couldn't be fixed. Even if it isn't a simple adjustment, which it probably is, someone with the proper tools and expertise can fix an uneven fretboard.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I would get a second opinion. That seems like one of the most rudimentary fixes there is.

They tried raising the action and when that didn't work, they changed the bridge and it still didn't fix it.
A fret level is about 150 in my city.

That should probably fix it 100% IME
A fret level might solve the problem, but it could be a warped neck. That does happen even on new guitars. I'd never take the chance. I would have a local Luthier check it out before I bought it or they can keep it.
Quote by coryklok
They tried raising the action and when that didn't work, they changed the bridge and it still didn't fix it.

Did they try adjusting the truss rod? I'd go to another store and get a second opinion. It seriously sounds like they just want you to buy something. If it can be fixed never go back to that store again.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
another Problem could be that the strings are loose in the nut. on my cheap 5er this is a problem but im ordering a new nut but fret buzz isnt a huge problem and can always be fixed ive never heard of it not. I agree with evreyone else get a second opinion.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Aye, it can be a multitude of things. Is that fret buzz across all strings? If so, then it probably isn't warping. And if it isn't warping, chances are it's going to be very fixable.

It was fret buzz on all 5 strings on every fret past the 12th.
Never heard of the bass but defiantly get a second opinion and see if you can do anything yourself. What squires were there in the shop if you do have to swap ( for any unimaginable reason) some of them can be very good especially the vm and cv.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Never heard of the bass but defiantly get a second opinion and see if you can do anything yourself. What squires were there in the shop if you do have to swap ( for any unimaginable reason) some of them can be very good especially the vm and cv.

They looked just like standard Squire Basses. The price was $219 on all of them, so I assume they are the same bass with a different paint jobs.
Quote by coryklok
They looked just like standard Squire Basses. The price was $219 on all of them, so I assume they are the same bass with a different paint jobs.

At the risk of stating the obvious, find another shop. Squier basses are fine, but at the end of the day how it feels and sounds might not be your thing. Also, if you were going to get a squier, I would aim higher than the standard series, because the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series are at least twice as good.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
At the risk of stating the obvious, find another shop. Squier basses are fine, but at the end of the day how it feels and sounds might not be your thing. Also, if you were going to get a squier, I would aim higher than the standard series, because the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series are at least twice as good.

$500 was on a gift card, and since they can't fix my bass they're giving me store credit. Cheap bastards.
Quote by coryklok
$500 was on a gift card, and since they can't fix my bass they're giving me store credit. Cheap bastards.

Hmm, if I were you, i'd buy a good 500 dollar guitar, sell it for 450 and go somewhere else. The other alternative is to wait a little while until they get some real basses in stock (if that ever happens at all, but even a MiM fender would be good and it's in your price range).
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
Hmm, if I were you, i'd buy a good 500 dollar guitar, sell it for 450 and go somewhere else. The other alternative is to wait a little while until they get some real basses in stock (if that ever happens at all, but even a MiM fender would be good and it's in your price range).

I already paid for everything. I bought an amp and that bass.
get a second opinion, if they are replacing the bridge before a truss rod adjustment/Neck shim then they obviously have no idea
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
if I were you I'd get the Squier P bass, its probably better than the Deltatone bass you bought anyway.
have you tried fiddling with the action and the truss rod?
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria