im pretty new to the guitar. ive always been a great admirer but never got round to getting one and learning. well i was bought one about 5 months ago. im learning it now but pretty slow. there is some riffs among other things that i can play. but i want to learn some songs that are played on 7 string guitars. i only have a 6 string. now i would like some advice. i know i can detune and all this. but what i really want to know is if i was to buy a 7 string guitar, would any 6 string songs be able to be played on it just without using the top B string? or would this just be very hard. or should i buy a 7 string for songs that need it and use my 6 string for any 6 string songs?

=]
xxadamxx
Quote by lanky_1991
im pretty new to the guitar. ive always been a great admirer but never got round to getting one and learning. well i was bought one about 5 months ago. im learning it now but pretty slow. there is some riffs among other things that i can play. but i want to learn some songs that are played on 7 string guitars. i only have a 6 string. now i would like some advice. i know i can detune and all this. but what i really want to know is if i was to buy a 7 string guitar, would any 6 string songs be able to be played on it just without using the top B string? or would this just be very hard. or should i buy a 7 string for songs that need it and use my 6 string for any 6 string songs?

=]
xxadamxx

Yes, you should be perfectly able to play 6 string songs on a 7 string, Chris Broderick from Megadeth plays all their songs on his Ibanez LACS 7.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes, you should be perfectly able to play 6 string songs on a 7 string, Chris Broderick from Megadeth plays all their songs on his Ibanez LACS 7.

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

ahhh sweet thanks alot.... what 7 strings do people recommend?
i really like dean guitars.... and the razorback series is awsome..
but im open to any suggestions and ill be sure to check them out
Budget? Location?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well deans are pretty expensive guitars, and the shape may not lend well to learning.

You may want something a bit cheaper to start off with like a Ibanez RG7321, but if you want a good quality trem 7 string go with the Ibanez RG1527

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by lanky_1991
budget : 600 - 900 pounds

Ibanez RG1527 or S7320 depending on exactly how much of that budget you're willing to spend and specs preference.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
wow your pretty much set then, you can get most 7s for that price, may be even a second hand universe?

but I will recommend the RG1527

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
thanks guys... i take it your ibanez fans :P
i do like ibanez, something draws me to the sharp edges of the deans.
ill have a good trawl round the internet first before i make a decision.
but ill be back to let you know how it goes =]
Yeah most 7 strings are Ibanez fan boys lol

Definatly try and play a few in some guitar stores if you can, find the one most comfortable, there is a huge difference between an Ibanez and a Schecter, and things like ESp and Dean will be somewhere inbetween, so play everything.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. Best and most cost-effective seven string I've ever played. Mohagony body (ash on the loomis model) and coilsplit EMG 707's, cant go wrong with that

string-thru bridge: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C-7-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=518452

OFR bridge: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=515884

the pics of the OFR are not of the Hellraiser C-7 but the regular C-7.
Also, the neck is quite thick and if you're used to thin necks it could take some getting used to.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
Quote by Absent Mind
Well deans are pretty expensive guitars, and the shape may not lend well to learning.

You may want something a bit cheaper to start off with like a Ibanez RG7321, but if you want a good quality trem 7 string go with the Ibanez RG1527

+1

Both those guitars sound like pretty good choices.

Alternatively if your songs are purely power chord songs, you can consider retuning your 6 guitar so it mimics the bottom 6 strings of a 7 string guitar. Can't do that if you're into jazz tho.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

Both those guitars sound like pretty good choices.

Alternatively if your songs are purely power chord songs, you can consider retuning your 6 guitar so it mimics the bottom 6 strings of a 7 string guitar. Can't do that if you're into jazz tho.

i play more thrash and metal...

slayer
metallica
trivium

among many more.
cheers for the advice so far guys...
im going to go and visit some huge guitar stores around the south of england and try some out...

=]
Hey man where from the south of England are you from?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by the Sinner
Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. Best and most cost-effective seven string I've ever played. Mohagony body (ash on the loomis model) and coilsplit EMG 707's, cant go wrong with that

string-thru bridge: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C-7-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=518452

OFR bridge: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=515884

the pics of the OFR are not of the Hellraiser C-7 but the regular C-7.
Also, the neck is quite thick and if you're used to thin necks it could take some getting used to.

this man speaks the truth +11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by the Sinner

Good luck finding one of those in a shop that takes pounds sterling.

This might be just my personal opinion but I find Deans to be horribly overpriced and stupidly uncomfortable anyway and you'll never find a MusicMan JP for less than about £1200, let alone a 7 string version.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

whyd you have to quote the article, your the first reply lol
Quote by jkielq91
whyd you have to quote the article, your the first reply lol

1 - Don't necropost on threads that have been resolved.

2 - I always quote whoever I'm talking to or about, too many times I've gone to reply only to find that someone else has posted in the mean time.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.