Hi, I'm looking for another cabinet to add to my rig. My band plays a death/black metal style. I have a peavey 6505 head (120w) and am playing it through a 4x12 vader cab. I'm wanting to make this a full stack. So I'm looking for another cabinet that is fairly cheap, but still well constructed and will last me for some time to come.
Thanks
Umm, just get an empty cab and pretend?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Umm, just get an empty cab and pretend?

i agree...man you really don't need a full stack. Don't waste your money
Well, if i was asking "should i go full stack or not?" then those would be good responses....I'm well aware of the power.
Avatar cabs are good, have nice construction, and you get to pick your speakers.
Quote by 0w3n
Well, if i was asking "should i go full stack or not?" then those would be good responses....I'm well aware of the power.

Or lack there of? An extra cab isn't going to add an appreciable amount volume, nor could I imagine a 120 watt head and 4x12 needing more.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Or lack there of? An extra cab isn't going to add an appreciable amount volume, nor could I imagine a 120 watt head and 4x12 needing more.

amen.
fine then... What is a cabinet you would recommend as a stand alone cab, half stack style, for such a style of music?
What's wrong with the vader? Not saying you have to stick with it, just need to know what it lacks for you.
The vader is a power house, hands down. I play in a 3 man band, 1 guitar, vox and drummer. Just want to run another cab off the head and have them on opposite side of the stage. To make up for the lack of string instruments. Volume is not the problem, its the delivering of the volume. Want a fuller sound.
O, just get another vader then. Though, if you're getting micd at gigs it's probably pointless to have another cab.
Marshall 1960a is what I use and are good if you are set on another 412

but

If you are just looking for a different voiced cab, look into the orange 212 or the egnater cabs

sorry about being a jerk. it is just I have bought some guitar equipment that I don't necessarily need, and wanted to make you think before you ran out and got another 412
Quote by Kevin Saale
O, just get another vader then. Though, if you're getting micd at gigs it's probably pointless to have another cab.

Looking for something a bit nicer on the wallet and that would have a different sound. For gigs we have our own pa for shows, but only have drum mics. Besides, I'm not a fan of getting mic'd for the size of venues we play out. Just added noise. But my own opinion.

Oh, and looking in the 4x12 area
Maybe try something open backed to spread the sound a bit? It'll definitely give a looser more spread sound that ought to mix well with the vader. You could get an open backed avatar 2x12 or something.
A full stack is completely unnecessary these days.

They were necessary back in the ****ing 70s when you actually NEEDED two cabs to handle the power of a superlead or something, but seriously with high power handling of modern speakers, a full stack is more or less useless.
seriously though dumbasses, he didn't ask if he needed one of not. it's HIS money.

what speakers are in the vader cab? it would be cool to blend different speaker sounds.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
stock speakers. Eminence i think they're called

Keep in mind, i'll probably looking for something used in good shape. And its not a for sure thing. Just seeing what's out there for options.
Quote by travd92
seriously though dumbasses, he didn't ask if he needed one of not. it's HIS money.

what speakers are in the vader cab? it would be cool to blend different speaker sounds.

Hey, dumbass, he could blend speaker sounds in the cab he has now. I can understand a second cab if you aren't being micd and you want to put it on the other side of the stage, but a fullstack would be totally pointless.
Quote by travd92

Eminence Legends.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Hey, dumbass, he could blend speaker sounds in the cab he has now. I can understand a second cab if you aren't being micd and you want to put it on the other side of the stage, but a fullstack would be totally pointless.

well he did say he doesn't like micing his current cab at shows anyways. IMO i wouldn't get another cab. but, he didn't ask if he needs another, he asked for reccomendations. so, as the nice helpful people UG has, why can't we just say, "hey, this cab is great..."?
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

anyways, i'm not familiar with that eminence speaker, but i read that it has a good midrange and high end sizzle. maybe get a cab with some heavy bottom end speakers?
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Quote by travd92
well he did say he doesn't like micing his current cab at shows anyways. IMO i wouldn't get another cab. but, he didn't ask if he needs another, he asked for reccomendations. so, as the nice helpful people UG has, why can't we just say, "hey, this cab is great..."?

So if someone asks, what should I get, a spider or an mg, we should just pick between those two amps?
Quote by travd92

Another cab will not make it louder really. If he HAS to mic it with one cab, he'll still have to mic it with a second cab.
to al above, i didn't say another cab would make it louder.

kevin, if those were the two amps you had come down to, and they were what you budget could afford, i wouldn't be an asshole and tell you not to get them, i would just to tell you to try them both out and see which one suits you.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Quote by travd92
to al above, i didn't say another cab would make it louder.

kevin, if those were the two amps you had come down to, and they were what you budget could afford, i wouldn't be an asshole and tell you not to get them, i would just to tell you to try them both out and see which one suits you.

Ok, but there are other amps for that budget that are better. The point is there are other options for this guy, that from his original post, he didn't seem to be exploring.

To stay on topic, I'd say something open backed to contrast with the closed back.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Ok, but there are other amps for that budget that are better. The point is there are other options for this guy, that from his original post, he didn't seem to be exploring.

To stay on topic, I'd say something open backed to contrast with the closed back.

ok, i agree with you.
and i agree with the open back cab.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

since you don't have a bass, maybe get a 2x15 to push the low end? that's what Scott Hull of Pig Destroyer does.
First you have tell us what ohms your Vader cab is. If you are planning on running one head into two cabs than that will be in mono. (I do this from time to time)
I think the Vader 4x12 is 8 ohms mono right? If so, then you want to look at other 8 ohm cabs so you can use them together properly. You would then set your 6505 to 4 ohms. If the Vader cab is 16 ohms you would want another 16 ohm cab and set your amp to 8 ohms.

Good 8 ohm mono cabs:
Mesa Rectifier
Randall XL
Engl Pro

Good 16 ohm mono cabs:
Marshall 1960/V
Orange PPC
Krank
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Consider a B-52 at412 cab. They are only like 400 bills. They are rated at 480 watts and sound crushing for metal. They can be set for 4 or 16 ohms mono or 8 ohms stereo. The only negative is the tolex is thin. This is the best cab in this price range, bar none.