IO'm looking for one of those little keyboard with a lot of cool effects on it. Not a keyboard with cheap effects, but something I could record with and potentially use live, to give an experimental, "Muse"-like sound.
Korg Micro Korg. Its quite small, not at all expensive, and is a good synth to get crazy, synth-like sounds on.
you should get an alesis micron. my friend has it and it's so cool man you can do so much with it. or a mini moog
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I just use a regular dell keyboard. I've thought about getting a nice gaming one, but this works just fine for me.
Quote by Gibson06
I just use a regular dell keyboard. I've thought about getting a nice gaming one, but this works just fine for me.

exactly what i thought to hahaha
Quote by jetfuel495
you could get anything and do some circuit bending to it (im pretty sure thats what its called) although i have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what it is

I tried one when I visited the Arcade Fire's studio. All you do is shove stuff in the key board. The one I tried had screws drilled into it
every time I played a key and pressed a screw, it would go crazy

P.S. how much are these Korg or moog keyboard?
Quote by qotsa1998
Korg Micro Korg. Its quite small, not at all expensive, and is a good synth to get crazy, synth-like sounds on.

Umm.....got it free off my brother as he doesn't use it. It's ok, with the effects you can create some good patches. I want a Roland synth with piano and other instrument presets on it, I know they won't be great for £300/£400 but I like the idea of an all-in-one keyboard synth. The Juno-D has decent reviews. You could go for the Roland SH-201.......
keytar ftw!

/thread
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
You can get cheap Yamaha keyboards from Costco. They are usually less than $100. I have had mine for about 5 years and it works fine.

Let us know what you decide on.
The bottom line is money,
Nobody gives a f***.
4000 hungry children die per hour,
From starvation,
While billions spent on bombs,
Create death showers.
Quote by RentACar
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Novation-XioSynth-25?sku=701052
This one looks really cool, and really in my price range.
To more experienced guys, how does this look?

If you were willing to spend more money on a soft-synth (software synthesiszer for your computer), you could plug that into a laptop and use it as a control. Look at NativeInstruments, Cubase, or Ableton Live for softsynth/sequencing.

Edit:I can't comment on the actual sounds or sequencer this has built-in, but the amount of knobs is good enough for what the average person would need to accomplish
Last edited by Echoplex at Nov 3, 2008,
can't go wrong with Korg...
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
i got a yamaha psr w/e crap thing but it had midi and i downloaded pianoteq and korg vsts now its great. cost me 30 bucks
Korg makes the best synth type sounds
Yamaha has good acoustic sounds
Roland makes the best piano sounds.

It all depends on what you are going for.

Also see this:
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=93

I would probably go with a used Yamaha MM6 if I was looking for a synth...
The R&R form may be a better place for synths and MIDI questions though so be sure to search that section as well.

Looking to spend a little less?
Look into the Korg microKorg which goes for around $400
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 4, 2008,
A word of caution to you: if you're seriously considering the MicroKorg make sure you have a chance to try it out before you actually buy it. They've got a lot of really great features, and you can't beat the price. The keybed, however, is just dreadful. The keys are sticky, sluggish, and slow to respond. It would be very hard to get much control over dynamics on a keybed like that unless you really worked at it, and even then, I think you'd be limited in how expressive you could be. Add to that, the keys are smaller than those on most boards, so if you're used to typical sized keys you'll feel really clumsy at first. So, make sure you get a chance to demo one before plunging in and buying one.
"Music is all about wanting to be better at it."

~Geddy Lee

Quote by titsmcgee852
Hahaha. Probably the best post i've seen from an 08'er.

He was talking about me.
Roland SH-201 ftw!

...I own one, it'll be fine for you. Of course, try it before.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Isidora
A word of caution to you: if you're seriously considering the MicroKorg make sure you have a chance to try it out before you actually buy it. They've got a lot of really great features, and you can't beat the price. The keybed, however, is just dreadful. The keys are sticky, sluggish, and slow to respond. It would be very hard to get much control over dynamics on a keybed like that unless you really worked at it, and even then, I think you'd be limited in how expressive you could be. Add to that, the keys are smaller than those on most boards, so if you're used to typical sized keys you'll feel really clumsy at first. So, make sure you get a chance to demo one before plunging in and buying one.

This.

Or get an old Yamaha PRS. Yamahas are good because you could get one of the ones with proper weighted keys and then buy a cheap synth patch for it and have the best of both worlds. The synth sounds on my yamaha are terrible though.
i have a casio.

BUT i've plugged it in my computer with a midi to usb converter and get massive sounds through Reason.
Quote by stm22
i have a casio.

BUT i've plugged it in my computer with a midi to usb converter and get massive sounds through Reason.

My first keyboard was a Casio, it burned up after just 13 months and the repair cost was crazy so I got a yamaha PSR340 and never looked back. The Yamaha is a nice keyboard with good on board grand piano but for any over sounds I trigger soft synthe using MIDI.
Quote by Isidora

Definitely. Using it as a midi keyboard for stuff like piano just doesn't work as you have to fully take your finger off one key to properly get a sound out of another, it's ridiculous and I'm use to playing my brother's £800 digital piano.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Go to Argos, the 'Acoustic Solutions' brand is incredible.

I don't know if your taking the piss, but I actually agree. I forget the model name but I got one for 89 euro, it had a pitch bend, midi in/out, power supply and a decent metronome. I sold it to a mate of mine for 50euro after I got my M-Audio keyboard, without realizing that a Midi to USB cable is alot cheaper than a new keyboard. I got rid of the Acoustic Solutions keyboard because the onboard effects were honestly crap, some patches were mislabeled, doubled or horrible. But get it into a laptop with Reason and a Midi Interface, and you've got yourself one hell of a synth machine.

I would still recommend a proper Midi controller for better quality keys, and if you are a control freak and need a load of extra knobs and buttons.