So tonight at a rehearsal, during the middle of a song, the volume on my Hot Rod Deluxe went down to nothing, and when it was cranked to 12 even, you could just hear it. Does it have anything to do with my tubes or speaker? I got a gig coming up in 5 days, and I kind of need it for then. Would anybody know whats wrong with it?
Sounds like tubes to me, are they all lighting up when you turn the amp on?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Sounds like tubes to me, are they all lighting up when you turn the amp on?

yes they are
What do they look like when you play? Have you tried a different guitar and cables?
Quote by firetothemax
Loose jack connection? It's happened to me in the past

Tried 2 different cables, 2 different guitars, and all my tubes are lit up. I think it has something to do with the amp. Could it be the fuse? or the speaker?
It's gotta be a bad tube, if the speaker blew it would just sound like shit. It's probably a preamp tube, just get a new one and swap it with the old ones till you find the bad one.
Quote by Kevin Saale
It's gotta be a bad tube, if the speaker blew it would just sound like shit. It's probably a preamp tube, just get a new one and swap it with the old ones till you find the bad one.

Are those the small ones? because the Hot rod has 3 of those.
Yup, if both the power tubes are lighting up it's probably one of those, and most likely it's v1, but it could be any of them. If it's isn't a preamp tube it's one of the power tubes, in which case you'd have to replace both.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yup, if both the power tubes are lighting up it's probably one of those, and most likely it's v1, but it could be any of them. If it's isn't a preamp tube it's one of the power tubes, in which case you'd have to replace both.

Okay, the power tubes, there are 2 of them, are 6L6's? I think, and the preamp tubes are 12AX7's. Are there any certain 12AX7's i should get?
groovetubes come with your fender in case you care

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Ok, this morning, I turned my amp on, and everything is working again. The volume is there, and it's just like it used to be. would that have anything to do with letting the tubes cool down for a bit, and rotating the preamp tubes a bit?
That's definitely possible. Two other possibilities:
-One of your tubes is dying but intermittent.
-A resistor in the power supply is loose, and is getting heated up and coming unsoldered. It's less likely than tubes, but it definitely does happen.

So the thing to do now is play your amp very loudly for a good long time- at least an hour. Get a set of backup tubes (you'll want them for your gig anyway). Try to make your amp malfunction again, and if it does change the tubes and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't, you're in good shape. If it does you have a bigger problem with the supply like I mentioned before.