i guess i have been playing for about 8,9 Months now and ive only had lessons for like 6 months
and im wondering how you would rate me for a year of playing

i can....

play open chords
Barre chords
power chords
pretty good vibrato
tremolo pick
pinch harmonics
artificial harmonics
palm mute
slide lol
and im slowy teaching myself how to sweep pick

theres probably more i can do but i cant think of it

rate me ?/10

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I don't know, I've been playing like 19 months, and I still can't do very good pinch harmonics, or like any sweeps at all, but I can rally pwn all the other stuff you listed, But I play alot of other types of stuff, and from the sounds of it you play metal, yes? Any ways for a year you're like a little above average, but with 6 months of lessons, honestly I feel like that lowers your score because you got help. I'd say 6/10 on ability for 1 year, and 4/10 on effort, but I'm a dick, so I'm probibly to harsh of a judge, but then again, i'f I got a 6/10 I'd be pretty psyched. Also I assume you are pretty good at improvision and scale use even though it is not on the list, but if not, your score tottally goes down to like a 3/10, because I play me some Jazz from time to time, and thgose things are like vitall to mad jazzery.
u will always bee 1/10 until u can play with ur teeth (which is 11/10). until that day comes, u will be no higher than 1/10
Naming techniques you can do doesn't mean anything. It's not about what you can do, it's how well you do them. We can't tell you how well you're playing. Don't worry about it, playing comes with time.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well, pretty much, especially when you get to 2-3 yrs which is when most people are done going from the can't play-> can play stage, and start on the can play -> can play well stage, then you'll be stuck at 6/10 forever. Why? As you get better, you keep adjusting your idea of what "good" is. It's kind of frustrating never being able to sit back and say "I fu*kin' rock", but seriously this is what keeps us getting better.
Post a mp3 or vid of you performing all these then you will get better feedback. Until then, I'm gonna assume that you can't do them very well. i'm at 6 months, can do all that. But suck at doing them. I don't like where I'm at at all really and well, I'm fine with it. More room to improve. Just play man, but if you want judegement on this post something we can listen too.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by zObiPhiOn
^+1. And btw, you should start working on alt picking before sweep picking, it's much more useful.

i can do that i said i just didnt write it and i can tap i didnt put that either

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Quote by Freepower
It's not what you do, it's how well you do it.

+ 10 million

i'd rather hear an awesome well phrased slow soulful bluesy solo than a million notes a second of crap. that being said i do like well phrased fast pieces too.
0/10

I give you a lot of negative points for even thinking a crappy list of skills would even
begin to reflect what kind of player you are. More negative for even thinking you know
the ones you've listed very well. And more negative for actually not being embarrassed
to make a post like this. But, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and call it 0.
Quote by Freepower
I just watched those youtube vids.

Er, you can't play powerchords in time or cleanly. This would be a perfect example of what to practice instead of "sweep picking".

+1.

Yeah man if you can't play something as simple as power chords cleanly, your sweeps are going to be as messy as monkey shit fights in the zoo.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
id say 4/10?

going by that smoke on the water video...jesus
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Everyone is at 1/10, because tomorrow some crazy guy might invent a new way of picking, new way of playing harmonics, and in musical terms you will listen barely 0.1% of the music that exists, so we can't be judged just by saying which techniques you are able to perform.

On the other hand, in the scale where we consider a great guitarist a 10, the only way to judge you is by seeing your playing.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by se012101
Well, pretty much, especially when you get to 2-3 yrs which is when most people are done going from the can't play-> can play stage, and start on the can play -> can play well stage, then you'll be stuck at 6/10 forever. Why? As you get better, you keep adjusting your idea of what "good" is. It's kind of frustrating never being able to sit back and say "I fu*kin' rock", but seriously this is what keeps us getting better.

hear hear, it's exactly like this. I have changed my opinion of what is good like 5 or 6 times. Starting with thinking Metal Solo's were what I wanted to aspire to, changing then to Petrucci like Prog Metal/Rock playing style, then Satriani and finally have rested (possibly) wanting to play a style that is a mix of Joe Satriani/Eric Johnson/and me. In other words I classed "good" as super fast metal solo's, and now class good as a player which shows technical knowledge with creativity and originality.
Ye and even when u can play perfect; there's always a computer playing faster or cleaner.

IT about the whole package:

- how u play it (in terms of technique)
- where u play it (taste in composition)
- Timing (starting all ur crazy arppegios and licks on the first beat is great guitar playing, but boring in a musical way
(or not), which leads to
-Dynamics
- Note creativity
- Rhythm changes within the lick (polyrhythms etc.)

and tons of more stuff. There's so much issues, and technique and music are so close related, and it's the dissappearing of the fine line between those what sets one apart.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I think the glissando is one of the most underrated techniques ever.

and another thing.

IT'S "DOING WELL" DAMMIT.
hue
I've been playin for 2 years and everyone around me says i'm great but I can't figure out how to do a pinch harmonic so ur better than me there
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!