Im thinking of asking for a EMG-81 or some other pickup for christmas. Now I thought i heard somewhere that the EMG doesnt fit in the SG-400. And is there any thing special you have to do to switch from passive to active? Are there any other pickup recommendations for a metal pickup?
well, actives need a battery, and there is normally room for it in a cavity in guitars for actives. Sometimes there's enough room to put a battery into the pre routed cavity, but sometimes the cavity is too small and you need to route a new one just for the batteries.
At least i'm pretty sure. Also, actives and passives have very different volumes and generally don't mix, though don't quote me on that because i'm not 100% sure
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
An EMG-81 will fit just fine (I have a G400 too :P)
It's standard pickup size, and the battery will fit in the control routing. Just be sure to add another active pickup, as it's a bit of a trick to mix active and passive. I recommend the EMG-60, -85, and -89.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by gucio93
well, actives need a battery, and there is normally room for it in a cavity in guitars for actives. Sometimes there's enough room to put a battery into the pre routed cavity, but sometimes the cavity is too small and you need to route a new one just for the batteries.
At least i'm pretty sure. Also, actives and passives have very different volumes and generally don't mix, though don't quote me on that because i'm not 100% sure

yah u got it right. unless ur like me and only use the bridge pup or neck pup there will be no point in just changing one pup
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Duncan Distortion for metal? I mean, it has the word "distortion" right in the name...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
An EMG-81 will fit just fine (I have a G400 too :P)
It's standard pickup size, and the battery will fit in the control routing. Just be sure to add another active pickup, as it's a bit of a trick to mix active and passive. I recommend the EMG-60, -85, and -89.

Thiss =)
I highly recommend EMG 81 and EMG 60 combination
I kinda go back and forth about active pickups. Great distorted metal sound, but thats it, no dynamics.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
does anyone reccomend the Duncan SH-6, DiMarzio X2N, or DiMarzio D-Activator over the EMG's? because they are all cheaper.

and my amp is (flame suit: on) line 6 spyder 75w
Last edited by ncbrock at Nov 4, 2008,
No, you should save money for a new amp - pickups won't make any discernible difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No, you should save money for a new amp - pickups won't make any discernible difference.

This^
Pickups aren't worth it, especially not EMGs that are designed for tube amps anyway.
Quote by CupCake182
This^
Pickups aren't worth it, especially not EMGs that are designed for tube amps anyway.

that

seriously, they wont do much good with that amp, to hear any difference you need a better amp
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
It would fit, but you need to realize you would need to gut the entire guitar due to needing new Pots, battery clip, and I think even the input jack is different because it needs to ground to the battery clip.
Quote by ncbrock

And you want to change pickups why when you have a modelling amp, and a bad one at that? ._.

If you get round to it, stay passive. More dynamics and punch, and much better cleans.

As always, my big reccomendation is Bare Knuckles, their high output models also have good cleans, and scream with a bit of gain. Pricey, but that's the absolute ONLY drawback.

But first, NEW AMP.

AND DON'T BE SUCKERED INTO BUYING AN MG.
Quote by Rock Pig
And you want to change pickups why when you have a modelling amp, and a bad one at that? ._.

If you get round to it, stay passive. More dynamics and punch, and much better cleans.

As always, my big reccomendation is Bare Knuckles, their high output models also have good cleans, and scream with a bit of gain. Pricey, but that's the absolute ONLY drawback.

But first, NEW AMP.

AND DON'T BE SUCKERED INTO BUYING AN MG.

Tube ONRY! =D

Seriously, its worth it. When I jumped from my SpideyIII to my current Rivera, its orgasmic really.

After you have a nice tube amp, you can go down checking for pick ups, pedals, new guitars and plenty of other stuff.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
seriously listen to these people. At first with my spider i was like " wahwahweewah it haz all deez effectz!!! and BR00t4lz diztorshun!!! "

Then i went to gc and tried out a valveking with a bad monkey and i was like. "HOLY SHIT SO MACH BR00T4LS SO LITTLE TIME!!!!" and so now i'm going to buy a vk for 200 bucks used off of craigslist.

moral of the story: If you want moar br00t4lz change your amp not your pickups. I mean seriously the spider has no testicles.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by ncbrock
does anyone reccomend the Duncan SH-6, DiMarzio X2N, or DiMarzio D-Activator over the EMG's? because they are all cheaper.

I've got a set of EMG's in my Explorer and through a modelling amp (I've got a Vypyr) they don't sound much different than the Duncans in my LTD or the Gibson pickups in my V. My friend has a couple of tube amps and I use one of those when we jam and the EMG's sound great through both of them. So save for a new amp you'll be better off in the long run.
First Suggestion is to get an NEW AMP an SS won't sound well with new pickups.

Second if you can't afford a amp get the DImarzio X2N, D activator X, D activators, Seymour duncan AHB2 Blackouts Metal.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Quote by Pintara_jackson
an SS won't sound well with new pickups.

Not entirely true. Just to stop some of the bandwagoning here, some transistor amps do kick major arse, the Line 6 Vetta or HD147, for example and the Roland Jazz Chorus, and they'll sound better with some new pickups. Maybe not actives, but passives, and you'll be fine.

So if you have a top of the range transistor amp, which you do not have, spare the money, and get a new amp, like everyone's saying.

But people, remember, there are some amazing transistor amps out there, it's just that most are crap pieces of...

Crap.

But yeah, change your amp to a nice valve one, I would say one, but my computer is dying, I've got and essay to write and I'm too stressed to think!

YAY!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
lol my moms gona kill me if i say i needed to switch amps. i switched from a peavy 75w to the line6 75w. i hated the peavy. Should i try and find a small tube amp?
well i think im just gona get a seymour duncan sh-6. i found one on craigslist for $40, good deal, and what can it hurt thats like half price.