I have a combo amp(Epiphone Blues Custom) and though the tone is great, the wattage is not. I have a PA system and speakers with more then enough power but what I need to know is, if I plug my amp into the PA through one of the amps speaker outs, will it damage the PA or Mixer?
It will, you should use the "phones out" or "line out" on your amp if you're going into a P.A.
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
there arent any line out or phones out on it, its a tube combo with 4 speaker outs. I would need to mic it then?
yes, you need to mic it if you want to go to a PA..

the reason is that the speaker outs carry a charge (to move the speakers) and so they will fry your mixer..

get an SM57 and mic it
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Pretty much, yeah, a friend of mine fried his Macbook by plugging a tube amp into it (using the speaker outs of course).

But!!!! Look at the bright side of life, mic'ing opens a whole new world of posibilities, adding "space" to you sound, and you can also start searching for the sweet spots of your amp
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Epiphone Electar Tube 30
I have 2 cabs, each 1200 watts, but my amp isn't powerful enough to push them, hence the need for a PA. And I wasn't sure about how the charges worked when plugging into a PA.

Edit: I have a condenser mic, that would be best to mic it with, no?
I preffer dynamic mics, condensers pick up too much hiss from the amp (they are SO sensitive).
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Epiphone Electar Tube 30
Yeah, the power of a speaker out will blow something really quickly.

You'll get best results with something like a Shure SM57 in the speaker. Just about every venue will own a box of these or a similar instrument mic. Usually it's only the bass that goes direct in, and most bass players still prefer to mic their cabs where possible.

However if you (or some dickhead sound tech) are determined to run everything straight into the desk for whatever reason, you've got two options if your amp has no direct out.

You can get an expensive attenuator hooked up to one of the speaker outs. This does nothing but soak up power like a speaker load. They allow you to run tube amps at full power, and have an output at whatever level you like. You can turn an old Marshall head up full and run it into a set of headphones at 3AM if you want to. Look at things like the THD hotplate or Marshall Power Brake.

Second option is to use your amp for backline reference only, and run a DI box straight into the PA, with some kind of virtual amp crap that is supposed to sound like the real thing. I don't have much experience with these, some of them may sound great, others may be able to advise you.

Both these cost a lot more than an SM57, so unless you have a very specific reason for wanting a direct in, just buy the damned mic.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Kahless
I have 2 cabs, each 1200 watts, but my amp isn't powerful enough to push them, hence the need for a PA. And I wasn't sure about how the charges worked when plugging into a PA.

Edit: I have a condenser mic, that would be best to mic it with, no?

The rated wattage is a maximum not a requirement. Unless of course you have like a 10w amp in which case giving each speaker 2.5w of power is really not helping you.

Mic it.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
yeah Ill just mic it, and the amp is only 30 watts, which is why it dosent push the speakers enough.

Edit: and by push, I mean its not really going much louder then my amp can on its own, so its kinda useless
Last edited by Kahless at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by Kahless
I have a combo amp(Epiphone Blues Custom) and though the tone is great, the wattage is not. I have a PA system and speakers with more then enough power but what I need to know is, if I plug my amp into the PA through one of the amps speaker outs, will it damage the PA or Mixer?

DON'T run any speaker outs to the mixer, it will burn out both the mixer and amp...
You need to mic the amp and/or run an attenuator.