hey guys, i'm looking around for a good tube amp. originally, i wanted a Peavey 5150, but as those aren't made anymore, and i'm not interested in the used stuff on ebay, i'm looking into Vox...

i'm kinda new to the whole Guitar amp scheme though (i'm originally a bass player)..so wattage and power and all that is a bit new to me.

either way i have played vox amps before and i really liked the smoothness that they can punch out. i'm looking at these two (which are just within my budget):

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Heritage-Collection-AC15HTVH-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-483042-i1276294.gc

which is basically $1000

or the http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-Classic-AC30CCH-30w-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-103055901-i1145851.gc

which is $900.

i really want to stay within the $750-900 range...but vox doesn't have much under $1000.

anyway i had a few questions - my band plays a LOT of live shows at pretty good venues, and we do have plans to tour - so i need an amp that can basically fill a room with sound.

the first amp is a 15w all tube amp
and the second is a 30w all tube...is that even enough power to really fill a room with sound? (let's assume that the sound system is basic, and they aren't mic'ing our amplification every show).

our bassist uses an ampeq svt classic tube amp head, and that is a ton of power...are these vox amps even strong enough to compete with it?

if yes, can someone explain how wattage works with tube amps?
and if no, why are they so damn expensive?!?!

thanks!!

~Cassandra
quick version, we're playing a lighter style of electronica/punk. so i was recommended to look into vox for the softer style.
and thanks will look into the thread you posted
5151=6505
same EXACT amp..just a different name for copyright reasons. dont buy a vox as your main amp..unless you play in the beatles you will regret it for years to come...
interesting. is there a reason the 5150's i was looking at in store (guitarcenter to be specific) were $750? and the 6505's are like low $1000's? or is it just the way the company is selling the product?

those amps are just slightly out of my budget range.

either way, might as well ask here, i haven't played any other amps in the price range i mentioned above, so what do you guys recommend i look at? (specific amp heads would be great).

i've played marshall, vox, peavey, and the Line 6 tube amp.

i'm pretty much looking for tube (i don't like solid state much...at least for live performance). so any recommendations would be great.

and as for the vox comment - i actually really like the sound of the vox amps, it might be more "beatles", but the sound was clean and smooth. which is probably what i fell in love with. but i'll keep that in mind (bout it being my main amp) - because that is what i'm looking for; a main amp.
I don't want to sound like a dick...but you do have effects and that...for electronica...synths and that? tremolo pedal or something? cause amp alone won't really get that kinda "roboty" tone...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
we don't use (or like pedals)

we have a macbook (which is used on stage) - and we use logic studio to program all our loops/synth parts.

we dont' want the guitar to sound "Roboty" at all, we want it to sound like your average punk guitar. bass - same thing. (if anyone listens to bands like enter shikari, MSI, shiny toy guns you'll kinda see what i mean).

sorry for not being specific.
Quick explanation of wattage/volume levels/etc...(This is why bass rigs/PA systems have huge power ratings)

Lets say you have a 10 watt amp, but you don't think it is quite loud enough, so you play through a 20 watt amp because it should be "twice as loud". In reality, there is only a 3dB change in SPL between the 2 amps.

For most human ears, in order to have ANY perceived difference in volume, the power must at least be doubled to produce a 3dB change.

If we take the same 10 watter, and compare it to a 100 watt amp, the 100 watt amp is perceived to be roughly "twice as loud" as the 10 watt amp, but there is only a 10dB change.

Decibels are a measure of a ratio, and without a defined reference (the 10 watt amp), it has no defined value.

20 watts is only 3dB "louder" than 10 watts
40 watts is only 3dB "louder" than 20 watts
80 watts is only 3dB "louder" than 40 watts
... you get the idea

Thats why you see some PA systems rated in thousands or tens of thousands of watts, because you must DOUBLE the power for just a 3dB increase in output volume.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
the thread also said that valve power worked differently too. so 30w of tube power is different than just a "30w" amp right?
Quote by ffband
the thread also said that valve power worked differently too. so 30w of tube power is different than just a "30w" amp right?

Yes, the example I was using was just assuming that each amp had exactly the same internal specs and speakers, just different power ratings.

Tube and SS have a substantial perceived volume difference.

Speakers also play a part, because sound is just the movement of air.

More speakers= more moving air.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
i actually use a pretty nice marshall cab so speakers should be ok

just thinking about the head right now. not really sure where to go. the $900 max budget range seems a bit empty, as the really nice amps are slightly more expensive. maybe i should try to just be a little more patient and then increase my budget so i can look into high end marshall and orange?
Quote by ffband
interesting. is there a reason the 5150's i was looking at in store (guitarcenter to be specific) were $750? and the 6505's are like low $1000's? or is it just the way the company is selling the product?

Just marketing, new product number means new pricing. They do it all the time in my line of work on auto parts. They're just praying on the unknowledgable

Same amp, Eddie owns that 5150 name thing. I believe they named it after the date of when they quit building them for Eddie, if that makes sense.
5150 has been named changed to the 6505 and are readily available at any store that happens to deal peavey.

and i gotta say from a 5150 to a voxAC is quite a drastic change of amp style.

they're completely different animals!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
yeah, i suppose but like i said - our band drastically changed too so we're not looking for really hard guitars (we used line 6 too) and now we're looking more at vox style amps.

either way i think i'm leaning toward the http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-AC50CPH-Classic-Plus-50W-Amp-Head-104299326-i1173579.gc

but it seems that it's labelled as "Clearance".... think it'll still be available for order (brand new) in about 3 weeks?

it's much more affordable than orange, but i really liked what i heard.
maybe look into a couple hughes and kettners, they sound nice, and well you might be able to get like the kinda sound your lookin for, some of there amps can be real diverse, but also they might be outa your price range
thanks eberg i'm gonna do that. but nobody really posted any first hand feedback on that vox amp i just posted. how is that for a main amp? anyone ever play one for a long period of time (not looking for someone that just played it a few times at guitarcenter).
Get the 30. If your touring like you say you are, you'll get a better sound out of the 30 in both situations with the pa.

Your bassist should have his volume appropriate to the rest of the band, not just having it loud.
i actually am liking the 30, but i'm really looking for the vox with the best sounding overdrive right now. the model i posted (The ac50cph classic plus 50w) seems to have a really really strong overdrive as well as enough power to play without being dependant on a PA (Which is important, since a LOT of venues we have played at do not mic the amps at all).

people above said the 30w shouldn't be used as a main amp...conufsed :\