Alright, im in a dillemma.

me and my best friend both play guitar. We want to start a band. The thing is, we play TOTALLY different styles. he playes Santana type stuff and i play Synyster Gates/ Slash stuff.

I dont really know what genre to go with. I'm considered the best in my school (well PAST school, i just graduated) when i play the Sevenfold-esque stuff. But i dont know if i can really make that transition from fast lead lines to more slower melodic stuff like that. Not to mention it would seem kind of boring =/ the closest thing i can play like Santana is John Frusciante =[

advice? anything?
Quote by synpet713192
You really have to ask? Do a fusion of the two. You can do dueling solos and leads.

Yeah i know, but my riffs (in my style) wont exactly fit his style. you know? dont you think itd be kinda hard? =/
find a way to blend, it would be sick
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
play with each other. everybody wins.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Santana is cooler. Conform to your friends style.

Nah but seriously, being in a band is about being creative. Your obviously not being very creative if your trying to label yourself with a genre. Just play music. Have fun. Combine your two styles. Play some hot latin rythms and do a face melting solo over them or do some heavy hitting rythms with a melodic solo over it. Or have the band play backup while you two tag team doing different types of solos. The possibilities are endless. I see a man without a problem.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by SynysterSlash
Yeah i know, but my riffs (in my style) wont exactly fit his style. you know? dont you think itd be kinda hard? =/

Do you honestly think any music that's interesting was particularly easy to write.

Then again, you do like Slash......
Quote by vlp_dope
play with each other. everybody wins.

we do (no homo) hahhaha.
i just find it hard to find a way to blend it in. and i agree the the guy above this. that would be ****in sick if we could.

He knows a shitload of theory more than i do so i guess he sees it more since he offered it. im just skeptical.

i need more theory =[
Get a bassist and drummer and let the rhythm section be a basis for how the lead melodies combine.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by GuitarNinja12

Nah but seriously, being in a band is about being creative. Your obviously not being very creative if your trying to label yourself with a genre. Just play music. Have fun. Combine your two styles. Play some hot latin rythms and do a face melting solo over them or do some heavy hitting rythms with a melodic solo over it. Or have the band play backup while you two tag team doing different types of solos. The possibilities are endless. I see a man without a problem.

I see a man who is a genius.

youre probably the coolest guy ive seen on this site. forreal.
thank you.
easy,turn his amp down low and yours up to 10,there problem solved!
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
I think that if you both played in the same scale, it would be amazing
to mix the new metal type of stuff with blues/R&B type of stuff would be awesome
you could play LEAD and he could play rhythm, but with more than chords, you know?
speed and soul could make something really interesting
Quote by saitenslayer
easy,turn his amp down low and yours up to 10,there problem solved!

WOOOOOOW!
i dont mind people that like that kind of music, but people that think it's utterly superior are obnoxious
Quote by Telestar
Sidewinder is kind of like Santana style, so you can definitely blend the two.

yeah dude that ****in acoustic solo at the end is orgasmic. i can also see it now. i never really noticed it
Quote by Boss61607
WOOOOOOW!
i dont mind people that like that kind of music, but people that think it's utterly superior are obnoxious

yeah, i paid no mind to this answer. hahaha.
This should go w/o mentioning but... make sure you find the right tone to blend in with what Gninja suggested. My friends tried a blend of country/metal/blues. uh... it was cool... but yeah...
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by Lucky#Slevin
This should go w/o mentioning but... make sure you find the right tone to blend in with what Gninja suggested. My friends tried a blend of country/metal/blues. uh... it was cool... but yeah...

HAHAHAHA. id love to hearr your friends band. but yeah he likes santanas tone more than gates so ill have to be flexible on that one. luckily i can get slashs tone so that might be as far as im going. or maybe frusciantes.
Quote by SynysterSlash
HAHAHAHA. id love to hearr your friends band. but yeah he likes santanas tone more than gates so ill have to be flexible on that one. luckily i can get slashs tone so that might be as far as im going. or maybe frusciantes.

Yeah, it was cool, until a certain someone decided to "join" with his synth and keyboard. "Techno-y" but it all went downhill from there...
Quote by rastaman12
Do a fusion between the 2 styles. Obviously the santana-ish part will sound totally awesome while the other will be kinds meh, but you have to deal with :p
Quote by GuitarNinja12

I agree. If those two are as talented as the TS says, that would lead to a ****ing epic sound.
Quote by mrcrono
I agree. If those two are as talented as the TS says, that would lead to a ****ing epic sound.

what the hell is TS? haha sorry, im new =[
TS=Thread Starter
Quote by rastaman12
Quote by mrcrono
Topic Starter. Aka, you

OH! haha yeah im a fool. my bad.

ive been playin for goin on 3 years now and hes been playin for 4. He knows the most theory out of any guitarist at Ocoee High and im the best PLAYER and know a little bito f theory. so we'll see how it goes?
If you want a good guide on how to meld those two styles, look no further than Atheist's Elements album. That's kind of what I'd imagine you to sound like, only without an awful guitarist like Gates.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by Altered_Carbon
If you want a good guide on how to meld those two styles, look no further than Atheist's Elements album. That's kind of what I'd imagine you to sound like, only without an awful guitarist like Gates.

I really see nothing wrong with Gates.

but ill check it out.
Quote by SynysterSlash
OH! haha yeah im a fool. my bad.

ive been playin for goin on 3 years now and hes been playin for 4. He knows the most theory out of any guitarist at Ocoee High and im the best PLAYER and know a little bito f theory. so we'll see how it goes?

No offense, but the kids at your school must not play guitar at all if you're the best with only 3 years of experience.
Just don't label either one of you as lead just kinda take turns one soloing and one rhythming it out. Unless one of you wants to play rhythm but yeah it would be cool to have that.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Telestar
No offense, but the kids at your school must not play guitar at all if you're the best with only 3 years of experience.

theres a kid whos played for 5. all they do is that "drop C" crap. so thats all hes good at. He was asked to play a Dm scale and couldnt do it.
Quote by GuitarNinja12

this... do it haha. im not a santana fan or a slash/synyster fan but i think combining bluesy stuff and... 'metal'(i use that lightly for A7x) would be pretty cool. i mean.. me and my friend are in a band together, with other people of course, and we play all styles of guitar, so we mix them all together to create some cool kinda prog shit i guess.