So what is the difference between the following reverb types, other than how they are made?


What's the difference in terms of tone, space, etc?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Honestly, Google it you will probably find something that will explain it in a lot more depth than anyone here will take the time too. Reverb pedals are some of the oldest and therefore are some of the most diverse. Try google and I'm sure you can find something that explains them all for you.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
what for the search engine?

"reverb + types"

or what would work?

Yeah, there's a shit-load of stuff on it.

I'm tired, so I'll read tommorow.

But thanks, man.
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at Nov 4, 2008,
SS and tube driven refer to the type of amplification used to boost the reverb signal.

Tank and spring reverb are the same thing. The springs are in the tank, and are what create the reverb effect.

Plate reverb uses a huge sheet of metal instead of springs. It's only used in studios due to its size.

Spring reverb can be either SS or tube, so can plate reverb. They're just ways of describing different parts of the reverb unit. In guitar effects, you'll mostly just come across spring reverbs and electronic recreations thereof. Once in a while you'll get a room reverb simulator.

Tones vary between each, much the way SS and tube amps do. There is often a tradeoff between the flexibility and size of digital units and the warmth of tube units, though spring reverbs with SS drivers are frequently used to bridge the gap.

Field guide version:
Four types you'll likely run into in guitar signal chains:
Tube driven spring reverb (built into vintage and RI fender/vox amps and such)
SS driven spring reverb (some more modern amps; Fuchs, Peavey, new AC30s)
SS driven analog reverb (pedals like the Holy Grail, some cheaper amps)
SS driven digital reverb (mostly pedals and modeling amps)