So I currently have 2 EMG81on my ESP M-II and I do like them. Unfortunately, the clean tone is not quite awesome. I was thinking about switching to Seymour Duncans pickups, but I don't know if that would be a good choice. I need some advice from players who played both EMGs and Duncans.

Also, I'm playing mostly metal/rock. I play power metal aswell as solo guitarists stuff like Satch or Vai or Petrucci. (I know they use Dimarzios That is just an example of the variety of style I play).

I will also ask my brother about this.

Thanks!

Considering Dimarzios aswell.

Quote by Tallyho
Do you mean blackouts or just SDs in general? Because i'm pretty sure all 3 of the guitarists you listed use Dimarzios.

I was asking about SDs in general.

I know they use Dimarzios, but I don't think they would fit good on an ESP. It was just an example or what style I was playing

I could consider Dimarzios too, since that's what the Ibanez I'm playing right now (Need new strings for ESP :P) has Dimarzio/Ibz pickups.
Last edited by DarkTom666 at Nov 4, 2008,
Do you mean blackouts or just SDs in general? Because i'm pretty sure all 3 of the guitarists you listed use Dimarzios.
Tallyho is right... Satch, Vai, and Petrucci use DiMarizio pups... I'd chck out DiMarzio too if I were you...
dimarzio has a pickup picker, it asks you a few questions and then finds your best 3 matches.

Also I would reccomend the SD Blackouts, i hear there like EMGs but much clearer and have a better tone....
i vote none,
get rockfield fatass for the bridge (all the distort you'll ever need)
and a SWC coil tapped neck(most veristile pickup ever imho), for your cleans. sounds amazing, check their website for clips
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
So in the Dimarzios I was thinking maybe D Sonic (B) and Air Norton (N).

Didn't check much the SDs but I saw Custom 5 SH-14 and TB-14 which could be interesting.

And I don't think I'll go with Rockfield's Pickups.
EIGHTEEN VOLT MODIFICATION.

It'll keep you touching yourself all night.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
EIGHTEEN VOLT MODIFICATION.

It'll keep you touching yourself all night.

+1

I can verify and agree
I heard going 18v Mod just changes the tone very little and that the point of this is making the batteries last way longer. I'm looking more for a tone change >.>

I may consider that too.

EDIT: Straight from EMG website.

Can I use multiple batteries?
Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

Don't think it would be so useful on a guitar.
Last edited by DarkTom666 at Nov 4, 2008,
18v mod does a hell of a lot, it's only a $3 mod rather than paying ~$200 for new pickups.
More headroom and the cleans are a nicer too.
Also the bridge output sounds amazing.

Check out the 18v mod thread, it's got alot of info and there's a really helpful youtube video of before and after which really does show the change.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
18v mod does not increase battery life, thats only if you put batteries in parallel, not series.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Another option too would be switching my 81 in the bridge for a 85. My brother is using a EMG85 in the Bridge (surprinsingly) on his Ernie Ball Musicman Luke and it sounds very good.

If I do switch one of the 81 for a 85, would it still be possible to do 18v mod?
Yes 18v mod can be done to any active EMG pup

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yea that's what I told my brother: "Isn't a 85 suppose to be better in neck?" but he told me his was in the Bridge and it sounded just awesome. I played it and he was right.. Anyways, I could just switch them after, but I think it will be perfect in bridge, because I never actually play my bridge 81.
i prefer EMGs cause i love how they sound with distortion even though the cleans arent 100% perfect. for me, i dont really care if theres a small hint of distortion on the clean (i play alot of Metallica with alot of their ballads) but if you cant stand that little bit of dist. id say get SD Livewires
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Honestly dont put the SD blackout idea down yet EMGs are good but they sound kind of sterile IMO.
I put a blackout in a guitar i redid for a friend of mine and it has a GREAT clean tone and you can make the distortion as crazy as you want. its just a more organic pickup. Definatly worth every penny
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
You'll see; once you put those two 9V batteries in your guitar, it'll be magical.

Worst comes to worse, you've spent 5 dollars on another battery and a battery connector.
------

Shwiggity.