Poll: Martin vs Taylor
Poll Options
View poll results: Martin vs Taylor
Martin DX1 Acoustic
16 52%
Taylor 110/114 Acoustic (w/o electronics)
15 48%
Voters: 31.
So i've got a question for you all. Im a die hard fan of martin guitars, but my friend is a die hard Taylor guitars. Not that Taylors are crappy (they are far from it) but i just prefer the tone and warm feel to the Martins. But of course, comparing the best of martins to the best of taylors is really not realistic cus i doubt most people on this forum play a $2000 dollar martin of taylor. So lets look at the more "affordable" price range.

Which do you prefer/would you take???

MARTIN DX1 ACOUSTIC DREADNAUGHT GUITAR

TAYLOR 114/110 ACOUSTIC DREADNAUGHT GUITAR (w/o electronics since the dx1 doesnt have it)

both are similar in price anyways.
Id choose the Taylor 110 from the choices you listed but all are poor choices in my opinion.
Neither of those is a good choice, imo. At that price range, you should check out some other companies, especially Seagull and Takamine, or even Yamaha. But really, you should go to a store, play, and let your ears be the judge. Cus at the end of the day, that's what's most important.
Quote by brasuca6
Neither of those is a good choice, imo. At that price range, you should check out some other companies, especially Seagull and Takamine, or even Yamaha. But really, you should go to a store, play, and let your ears be the judge. Cus at the end of the day, that's what's most important.

Yay for takamine! Realy though Martins are overpriced. I can't say much about taylor cause I've only played a couple and they all sounded kinda plinky...
I also agree that neither of those are very good options. They are both way overpriced. When you get up into the $2000+ guitars like you mentioined, Martin and Taylor make great guitars and are definitely among the best; but in this lower price range, you're just paying for the name. If I absolutely had to choose between those two guitars, I would probably go with the Martin.

Look at Epiphone Masterbilt and Alvarez Masterworks. You'll get a much better guitar for the same money in this price range.
don't buy lower end versions of high end guitar brand names. it never ends up good in the end.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
The poster above me reminded me of Blueridge. If you are a big fan of that Martin sound, check out some Bluerdige guitars in your price range. They sound great, similar to a Martin.
Quote by jimtaka
I also agree that neither of those are very good options. They are both way overpriced. When you get up into the $2000+ guitars like you mentioined, Martin and Taylor make great guitars and are definitely among the best; but in this lower price range, you're just paying for the name. If I absolutely had to choose between those two guitars, I would probably go with the Martin.

Look at Epiphone Masterbilt and Alvarez Masterworks. You'll get a much better guitar for the same money in this price range.

Agreed.

Seagulls are also a good way to go at this price.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I choose the Martin and I will tell you why.

I recently bought my own martin dm, and I realized some things over Taylor, and Seagull, and even larivee, Martin has been building stringed instruments since 1833, that is a lot of history and tradition, they have changed very little since they first started making acoustic guitars, and the tradition remains the same, the thing about a martin is, along with having superior build quality, tone and grade a woods chosen, you get the history behind it, in 40 years if taken care of you will still have your martin, and it will be a 40 year old martin acoustic guitar, something highly prestigious, something very sought after, these guitars are not only beautiful in every aspect, they are collectors items. If you have a taylor guitar or a seagull or larivee guitar, I honestly think that in 40 years it will either be just another old guitar. Sorry guys that is just my opinion, martin ftw...
In order for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing...
Quote by GreenTuna
I choose the Martin and I will tell you why.

I recently bought my own martin dm, and I realized some things over Taylor, and Seagull, and even larivee, Martin has been building stringed instruments since 1833, that is a lot of history and tradition, they have changed very little since they first started making acoustic guitars, and the tradition remains the same, the thing about a martin is, along with having superior build quality, tone and grade a woods chosen, you get the history behind it, in 40 years if taken care of you will still have your martin, and it will be a 40 year old martin acoustic guitar, something highly prestigious, something very sought after, these guitars are not only beautiful in every aspect, they are collectors items. If you have a taylor guitar or a seagull or larivee guitar, I honestly think that in 40 years it will either be just another old guitar. Sorry guys that is just my opinion, martin ftw...

I can't agree with you on this one, even though I am a Martin man, myself. You bought a DM. This guy is talking about an X series. Very different materials. The X series is made of HPL(high pressure laminate), which is created by vacuuming up all the saw dust in the Martin shop and then pressed together from a gloopy who-knows-what-the-hell-it-actually-is substance. Low end Martins are corner cutters.

Also, the history isn't a valid argument from a logical stand point. History is a good indication of what the company is capable of, but is by no means an indication of the company's future quality. Look at Fender for example. They've been making guitars since forever, but even they, at one point, were producing really low quality stuff. Saying that a company with good history is going to produce top notch quality products forever is like saying an old man can run a marathon because he did it when he was 20. Can't be done.

I like your passion for Martin though.
Equipment:

This poll should have an option for "neither"... If you want to own an Martin or a Taylor, save your money and buy one that you'll want to own forever. Otherwise, as previously stated, there are more than a few better options in your price range. I'm a Taylor fanboy and I'd push someone towards a used 310 way before a new 110. Or a Larrivee D03 if you can find one used.
If it helps I used to have a DX1...my friend has it now so I still get to play it and its a great little guitar for the price. Good playability and a warm tone and I actually wish I had never got rid of it.
Cap,

I think the history of martin is honestly a little more prestigious than Fender, but that is a whole other argument, lets stick to this one for now. I will agree I just went to the guitar store today actually (day off! woo!) and I checked out the dx-1 martin... It actually looked good from far away, but once I got up close, I could see things that I would not want on my acoustic guitars, cheap rosewood fret boards, fretting was very rough, did not stay in tune for more than half a song, and I was generally kind of choked about the DX1.

Now I am never an endorser of buying cheap guitars, NEVER! If you do not have enough money to buy what you truly want, then wait a couple months maybe get christmas money or birthday money, or even make a crafty money laundering scheme. Whatever the case, buy what you truly want.

Cap, I actually was choosing between a D-28, and the DM, I actually chose the DM, it has the history I wanted behind Martin, it also is made of fairly good materials, none of this goop you were talking about. Now you may be wondering, what the frick! why did you not take the D-28!! Well, I actually prefered the sound of the DM. It sounded more catered to what I wanted my acoustic guitar to sound like, so I bought it, and look I saved some money to! And got a kick arse guitar!

Bottom line, get what you truly want, settle for nothing!
Quote by GreenTuna
Now you may be wondering, what the frick! why did you not take the D-28!! Well, I actually prefered the sound of the DM. It sounded more catered to what I wanted my acoustic guitar to sound like, so I bought it, and look I saved some money to! And got a kick arse guitar!

Bottom line, get what you truly want, settle for nothing!

I'm actually not wondering about that. I picked my D-16RGT over a used 1996 HD-28 as well. That specific HD-28 just sounded very sloppy, whereas the D-16RGT I bought was very soulful(Like all Martins), but it was still refined. It's not an extremely bass driven guitar, but a bit more on the balanced side(for a Martin, anyway).

My dream guitar is a Lowden though(and not a Martin), I must admit. Walnut or Blackwood side/back. Such a beaut.
Equipment:

Lowden Guitars are beautiful, I would personally like a custom acoustic, there is a guy around here who has a luthier shop that goes by the name timeless instruments, and boy oh boy is his work nice! I also would not mind one of those novax fanned fret acoustic guitars like don ross uses, I just think those are neat!

But ya like I was saying with the D-28 the DM had a very light soulful, just beautiful really sound to it, and the D-28 was SOOO bassy, that I couldn't shake it... My ears personally are not a fan of very deep bass in a nice light acoustic finger pick jam. Where you have it coming through the PA and just booming, not my style.
Quote by GreenTuna
Lowden Guitars are beautiful, I would personally like a custom acoustic, there is a guy around here who has a luthier shop that goes by the name timeless instruments, and boy oh boy is his work nice! I also would not mind one of those novax fanned fret acoustic guitars like don ross uses, I just think those are neat!

But ya like I was saying with the D-28 the DM had a very light soulful, just beautiful really sound to it, and the D-28 was SOOO bassy, that I couldn't shake it... My ears personally are not a fan of very deep bass in a nice light acoustic finger pick jam. Where you have it coming through the PA and just booming, not my style.

Novax? Don Ross uses a Beneteau Fan Fret that was custom built for him. Saw him live in concert. What a guitarist.
Equipment:

In my opinion Martin's and Taylor's are the most over hyped overpriced guitars on the market.

There's quite a few companies that make comparable or better guitars for less, and a few more that will give you a guitar twice as good for the same price.
i own a dx1 and it is great for the money. make sure you know what you are getting. the back and sides are hpl, and the neck is a plywood-type construction. their new hpl sounds great though. i would recommend one.
what
It is a matter of opinion but i have to disagree with Tulkas. I have played and owned lots of acoustics and I wouldn't be without my Martin... Before i bought it i thought of sound I wanted and why I was unhappy with current acoustics. I also looked into artists i liked and what guitars they played...it tended to be Martin http://www.mguitar.com/artists/list_all.php

I bought my current Martin second hand from a shop and another customer was playing it when i entered the shop. I instantly knew it was the one for me and hovered until he put it down and nabbed it. It has been worth every penny!
Ya, the beneteau is the company he uses, BUT! the fanned fret system is actually designed by NOVAX originally, but he was not able to paten it because there was instruments dating back far enough so that he could not claim it as an original idea...
At some point, guitar players may want to have one guitar to give a full-bodied tone like a D-28 and a smaller guitar with a rich upper end.

On a budget, the Martin DM is very good. A Taylor 114 would be a cool second guitar. There are lots of choices!

Don't forget about Larrivee. If you see a D-03 for $500 used, you better nab it. Or if you see one of their OM models and you want a lighter tone, those are extremely good.

Personally, I like my Alvarez RF20SM for light tone and comfort. Its the mahogany top. The spruce top is also fine.