Hi all

i've been playing guitar for about 2 years now, and there's this guy at my school who makes me feel so hopeless every time i think of him (and guitar as well now, as a consequence.)

He's been playing for about seven years, boasts often that he plays guitar, bass, drums, sings and writes songs, and that he can play every single Steve Vai song. What's worse is that he actually CAN do all these things.
It'd be okay, but it demoralises me and makes me not want to play guitar as i feel i'll never be as good as him.

He's richer than me and stronger, better looking etc.

What do i do?
Not compare yourself to other people because you'll always lose?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Well sucks to be you.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Don't bother listening to him and just learn at your own pace, he sounds like a overarogant arsehole.
Don't bother comparing yourself to other people.

Someone who has been playing guitar for 7 years will undoubtedly be better than someone who's been playing for two.

If you let it get to you then he wins.
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/westaussie/

Quote by StratPat

Quote by blacksabbath8
So I had to take a massive dump, and I went in the bassment. So it's been down there for a while and the stench is terrible and i think it's seeping into the floor.

There's always gonna be a handful of people out there that are better than you.
You just gotta feel good about yourself no matter what.

I hear Dove has a self-esteem campaign going on. There might be a workshop near you that you can attend.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Someone who's been playing seven years and still acts like that towards other aspiring guitarists isn't worth your time, man. He obviously got into guitar for all the wrong reasons.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
rich kids can't play guitar, seriously they can't

btw I have a feeling you'll get much better at playing guitar because of this, if your attitude is somewhat like mine

my girlfriend once left me and got together with another guitar player (he had 5 years of experience, I only had 1.5) so I filled myself with hate and drilled my fingers every night, resulting in my guitar's neck turning red eventually (for some reason I started bleeding after an hour or 4 shredding practise, meh) now I totally pwn his ass and I made the girl cheat on him resulting in him crying, then I got him thrown out on a gig that my band was performing on.... now I feel great
Be yourself, and yeah he sounds like a cockbeater and of course he will be better than you if hes bin playing for 7 years, dont let that shit get you down
Quote by numinis

btw I have a feeling you'll get much better at playing guitar because of this, if your attitude is somewhat like mine

my girlfriend once left me and got together with another guitar player (he had 5 years of experience, I only had 1.5) so I filled myself with hate and drilled my fingers every night, resulting in my guitar's neck turning red eventually (for some reason I started bleeding after an hour or 4 shredding practise, meh) now I totally pwn his ass and I made the girl cheat on him resulting in him crying, then I got him thrown out on a gig that my band was performing on.... now I feel great

Knowing someone is better then you always inspires you to be honest, this man is right ^^ I do that with everything in my life, football, cricket, guitar everything.. And it makes you feel awesome when everyone's jelous of YOU!
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
dude two years ago i felt the same way
there was this guy i knew who claimed to have been playing for 8 years
of course i wasnt good then
now i realize he shitty he is at playing

dont listen to boasts

the last boast i heard came from a friend who claimed he was better than i because he had been playing for 6 years, but to be honest, ive written more complicated stuff than he can even play.

basically dont let it get you down
you'll be great if you really want to be
and also, when you do become great, dont be like that asshat or like some of the people on this site.

edit: before anyone picks apart my post, im not trying to boast about anything, im just using an example to explain that boasting for attention gets you nowhere
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by numinis

if what you're saying is true...i've just been inspired. thanks
Anybody who is truly good at something, doesn't feel the need to boast about it. Why? Because they are confident enough of their own abilities not to need confirmation of them from other people. If you realise this insecurity in him and seek not to emulate it, you are the better man than he. In short, just chill man.
1) Tell him how much better I am than he is...I've got 25 years invested in the guitar.

2) Get him to post his stuff here. I guarantee you there are players on this site that will make him look like he's got Down's Syndrome. He's a no.0b in the grand scheme of things.

3) It takes a certain amount of humbleness to truly learn and improve. He is probably peaked and knows it so he uses lesser skilled players to make himself feel better. Many people are like this. Take solace in that fact.

4) Better yet, just don't talk to him, or worry about what he thinks. You'll get there. You can't compare players when there is that large of an experience gap.

Most importantly: Don't worry about it...really! Do your own thing and have fun doing it. That's what it's all about.

Disclaimer: No offense to those of you who might have Down's Syndrome
you picked up guitar b/c you love it i assume.

he picked up guitar, and all that other stuff to compensate for his lack of class, and his laughable shriveled penis.

'nuff said