65daysofstatic - The Fall of Math

Post-rock is a genre like any other. It has fans and it has haters. That being said, there is a lot of praise for certain post-rock bands such as Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky and of course the great 65daysofstatic.

In 2004 65daysofstatic released their debut album ‘The Fall of Math.’ It is an album that displays an amazing amount of originality. A display of originality which has not been matched by many other bands. The album is like nothing ever heard before, and has to be one of the greatest debut albums I have ever heard (right behind Muse’s Showbiz). From electro style drum beats to crunching guitar riffs all the way through to soft piano ballads. Yes, 65daysofstatic have released an album which may even please the haters of post rock.

‘The Fall of Math’ begins with ‘Another Code Against the Gone.’ The song starts with some kind of fuzz and a simple two chord progression played on a very distant piano. At almost the 30 second mark a pounding drum beat is heard which smashes your ear drums with its droning sound. Although that may sound horrible it actually adds a real passion to the song. During the drum beat the first sample of the album is used. Suddenly the music stops and we are left with a strange voice which chants “Sixty-five” obviously said with relation to the band name. Then another explosion commences and it pounds you like a sack of bricks. I have heard this part of the song referred to as “Noise” by some but I find it to be quite amazing the way that the band has constructed this piece of music. There is so much music going on, that I can guarantee if you tried to pick out all the instruments playing you probably wouldn’t even be half there to naming them all. The song is then stripped away piece by piece leaving us with some kind of high pitched computer generated sound. ‘Another Code Against the Gone’ is definitely an amazing opener and would surely lure you in to what is set to be an awesome album.

Because I’m sure you don’t want to be bored with a long review for every song like above, my song reviews will be short and to the point.

01. ‘Another Code Against the Gone’ As stated before this song is quite a fast paced energetic song, it creates the mood for what is set to be an epic album. (7.5/10)

02. ‘Install a Beak in the Heart That Clucks Time in Arabic’ This song is good for the first few listens, but I have found it kind of sounds a lot like other songs on the album. That doesn’t take away the fact that it is a great song (7/10)

03. ‘Retreat! Retreat!’ This song is probably the bands most well known song, and with good reason. ‘Retreat! Retreat!’ is a down right awesome rock song with its amazing drumming and its nice guitar it really shines through as the rock song of the album. (8/10)

04. ‘Default This’ A great short song. The sampling of drums used is beyond amazing. It blows my mind every time I hear it. (7.5/10)

05. I Swallowed Hard, Like I Understood’ To be honest. I am a bit disappointed with this song. Although it is well structured and made it lacks something which I am still yet to find. It is not a bad song, not by a long shot. But compared to other songs its definitely not up there with the rest. (5/10)

06. ‘The Fall of Math’ Great song. The start of the song starts with some soft music and then stops before some nicely sampled drums distant guitar is played. It truly is a roller-coaster of a song. (8/10)

07. ‘This Cat is a Landmine’ For some reason this song reminds me a lot of ‘I Swallowed Hard, Like I Understood’ however I do find this song much more pleasant. Maybe it’s that these two songs and also ‘Install a Beak in the Heart That Clucks Time in Arabic’ sound very similar that I don’t enjoy them as much as other tracks. It’s not really the fact that they sound similar, more the fact that they have the same sort of vibe. That being said this song is one hell of a track. (7/10)

08. ‘The Last Home Recording’ I don’t know why, but out of the whole album this has probably been my least played song. Not due to the fact that it is a bad song, but I think it may be because the way my media player works. Anyway this song is like the rest of the album great. It is the third and final song to reach under 3 minutes. But it is a great 2 minutes 13 second of song. (8/10)

09. ‘Hole’ Closely followed by ‘Retreat! Retreat!’ I would say this song is the signature rock song of this album. This song is definitely a powerful song, and I think it’s a real shame there weren’t more songs on the album like it. (8.5/10)

10. ‘Fix The Sky A Little’ Yet another brilliant track. This song uses some kind of sample, which I have no idea what it is. Its someone talking that’s for sure, but this band has done something to it which I cannot understand. I’m assuming it has just been put on some kind of a loop in random spots, but my god it does the trick. ‘Fix The Sky A Little’ is one great song, its instruments like most other 65daysofstatic, I cannot describe but it does have a great feel to it. (8/10)

11. ‘Aren’t We All Running?’ If there has ever been a better closer to an album, I would like to hear it. This song is just incredible. Without doubt my favorite from the album, and because of that I will describe it thoroughly. The song begins with some nice piano work, very simple yet very effective. From there the song slowly builds. Then the drums come in, like always in a very strange off beat style. The song continues to build with more instruments and then all of a sudden slowly fades away into a soft synth. Then it comes booming. The explosion of amazing music. The song continues with that explosion, dropping in power a few times only to find its feet again. (9/10)

This album is spectacular. It shows amazing musicianship the likes of which I have never seen and is without doubt an incredible album.http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Math-65daysofstatic/dp/ B0002XMELI

has no signature.
Last edited by 11223344554433 at Nov 5, 2008,
Colors got annoying but I'll give it a shot, I haven't heard any post rock bands so I'm up for something new.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I like it, experimental.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I'm starting to get into postrock, and this is a pretty cool album.

By the way, watch out for which font colors you pick...my eyes hurt...(white and yellow fonts=bad)
05. I Swallowed Hard, Like I Understood’ To be honest. I am a bit disappointed with this song. Although it is well structured and made it lacks something which I am still yet to find. It is not a bad song, not by a long shot. But compared to other songs its definitely not up there with the rest. (5/10)

Wow. Just wow. I think you didn't swallow hard and you didn't understand.

This song is exceptional. It is by far my favourite song on the album. It's just amazing.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
FINE! The colours have been changed.

Also to those saying, I have no doubt in my mind that the other albums may be better, but this is the only one I have been able to get a hold of.

And to myself101, I Swallowed Hard just didn't appeal to me. I mean its a great track, but theres something about it that really bores me.

has no signature.
I doubt you will find it any stores. Get it off Amazon. Its insane.

has no signature.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
The next person to review better not do a Post Rock album.

Yeah I was thinking about not doing a post-rock band but when Frenchy did a non post rock band I decided I might as well do it.

has no signature.
Sorry about that, *numbers*, I just completely forgot to post this on the 1st.

Fantastic album, I'll try and read your review soon.

Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Awesome review, makes me want to listen to this now.
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.
holy damn. i dont usually like instrumentals and softer stuff.
but that...thats just freaking amazing
the only way i can describe it is the way people used to describe acid.
it will open your mind. you'll go on a trip. youll see and experience things no one has ever known before. your life will be changed for the better after listening to this.
go.
NOW
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
i need to learn some of their stuff on the guitaro.
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.
There is only one tab on Ultimate-Guitar and i'm not sure how well out it is tabbed.

And Stepco i'm not sure where or who December is... Guess it will be November forever.

has no signature.
i used to be into this band. saw them lots of times partly cos i liked them and partly cos they were always playing in sheffield with other bands i wanted to see. i had the stumble.stop.repeat ep which is neat but i wasn't that excited when this record came out to be honest. i dunno, i think they're great live, but i have my doubts about them on record, always seems a bit underwhelming to be honest...

in other comments, i find this recurring desire to find 'emotion' in their music a little troubling. i don't think it is particularly emotional, and i don't think it really needs to be.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.