Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some quick and honest answers to a question that I have. I have been seriously playing guitar for the past 3 months and i just want to know where i should be at in my playing ability. I can do all of the basic stuff such as hammer-ons and pull-offs, chords blah blah. Tremelo picking is relatively easy for me and i can play a numerous amount of songs anything ranging from Metallica to Avenged Sevenfold to Audioslave. I am not near any other guitarists that I know of so I would appreciate some answers from guitarists on this site. And if you could give me some advice on sweep picking that would be great I got the basic 3 string thing down but the 4,5, and 6 string sweeping is a little difficult. Thank you.
Wrong place dude. Delete and repost in Electric Guitar.

EDIT: Or Guitar and Bass Basics, seeing as you've only been playing a little while
Unless I can see/hear you play, I can't really tell you what you'd need to practice.

There's no certain place you have to be for the time you've been playing; everyone has their own pace. Don't think of it as a race to be the best, just think of it as an ongoing investment of your time to excel at soemthing you love doing (I hope).

If you're just playing guitar to be better than your friends, then buy a metronome, and practice 16th note scales at 180bpm... That should wow 'em, but that's all.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
you might think you got the hammer ons and pull offs nailed but just you wait!!!!

I think some people will back me up on this
wat do ya mean by that? i know there is some crazy shit out there that i havent even ventured into yet.
Upload some of your recordings for us to hear, that way it'll be easier to help you out.

EDIT: If you're unsure as to how you would go about doing so, feel free to PM me, and I can give you advice/help.
yea i dont have anything posted that shows my capabilities and i will defianantly give the scales a run thanks alot
Sweep picking afta 3 months?.... 3 MONTHS!! plus cords, metallica an Audioslave? have u not slept for 3 months?
PuTTing it StRAIGHt In YOUr MoUTH
I will get a video up on youtube later today and give you guys the link for it.
Quote by numinis
you might think you got the hammer ons and pull offs nailed but just you wait!!!!

I think some people will back me up on this

'Tis true.

Good legato takes a long time to master.

Ha actually no not really i dont get much sleep busy life and i cant sweep that great at all just 3 string basic crap i actually learned it on here. To the guy about the vibrato isnt that basically the bending of strings to get different pitches?
Quote by Markhimself
Sweep picking afta 3 months?.... 3 MONTHS!! plus cords, metallica an Audioslave? have u not slept for 3 months?

Note he said "seriously"...once you get past the whole developing a musical ear stuff it becomes a lot easier to learn so I imagine that is the 3 months that TS is referring to. No-one can go from being a complete beginner to music to being able to cleanly and properly do 3 and 4 string sweeps at a reasonable speed in 3 months...I don't believe it is possible.
Quote by Smokey Amp
'Tis true.

Good legato takes a long time to master.

Ok basic hammer ons and pull offs i guess lets say the intro riff to Him's wings of a butterfly i can play that with relative ease.
Quote by synfan69
Ha actually no not really i dont get much sleep busy life and i cant sweep that great at all just 3 string basic crap i actually learned it on here. To the guy about the vibrato isnt that basically the bending of strings to get different pitches?

Sort of.

Vibrato is a way to accentuate a held note by bringing it in and out of pitch slowly. Like when you hear a singer "shaking their voice". It's a very mportant expressional tool at your dispoal and you'd do well to learn it properly.

A hell of a lot of Youtube guitarists have no idea how to use vibrato and they just meekly shake the string as fast as possible; it sounds fuckin' horrible.

Last edited by Smokey Amp at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
Note he said "seriously"...once you get past the whole developing a musical ear stuff it becomes a lot easier to learn so I imagine that is the 3 months that TS is referring to. No-one can go from being a complete beginner to music to being able to cleanly and properly do 3 and 4 string sweeps at a reasonable speed in 3 months...I don't believe it is possible.

I get the basics of sweeping not gonna say its the cleanest sounding thing because it is definantly not but its a start i suppose.
Quote by synfan69
Ok basic hammer ons and pull offs i guess lets say the intro riff to Him's wings of a butterfly i can play that with relative ease.

Summed up , u still need to do ALOT OF THE BASICS,
Quote by Smokey Amp
Sort of.

Vibrato is a way to accentuate a held note by bringing it in and out of pitch slowly. Like when you hear a singer "shaking their voice". It's a very mportant expressional tool at your dispoal and you'd do well to learn it properly.

A hell of a lot of Youtube guitarists have no idea how to use vibrato and they just meekly shake the string as fast as possible; it sounds fuckin' horrible.

I agree i was just looking up some videos and most sounded like shit. But i don't really like to criticize because im just starting to. Ok the song Like a Stone the solo in that by Tom Morello that would be a good example of Vibrato am i correct?
Quote by synfan69

There's a difference between being able to play the notes and being able to play the riff.

Quote by Martindecorum
Summed up , u still need to do ALOT OF THE BASICS,

Like what? Im teaching myself so any help i can get would be great.
Quote by synfan69
I agree i was just looking up some videos and most sounded like shit. But i don't really like to criticize because im just starting to. Ok the song Like a Stone the solo in that by Tom Morello that would be a good example of Vibrato am i correct?

Yeah, it's alright. It's hard to hear over the whammy pedal, though. I prefer vibrato to be a little slower, though.

Quote by synfan69
I get the basics of sweeping not gonna say its the cleanest sounding thing because it is definantly not but its a start i suppose.

Oh yeah man I'm not knocking your ability, hell I wasn't even thinking about sweep picking at your stage. Markhimself was just wetting himself a bit at the thought of you being able to shred your nuts off after three months, so I felt the need to clarify.
Scales, i also taught myself, but ur missing a lot of the vitals, learn some scales and some theory, basic theory if u want to skip that and DO wish to continue ur quest for sweeping

but Good synchronization between alternate picking and string selection
Quote by Markhimself
+1

Do you play 12 hours per day? I can't sweep yet and I play since 2 years...
Quote by Poglia
+1

Read my posts...he's just saying he's got the basic concept, not that he's the next Malmsteen.
Quote by Smokey Amp
Yeah, it's alright. It's hard to hear over the whammy pedal, though. I prefer vibrato to be a little slower, though.

Any examples that would help me out?
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
Read my posts...he's just saying he's got the basic concept, not that he's the next Malmsteen.

Thats just it , he has the basic concept, i had the basic concept when learning to drive a car, couldnt do that well HAD TO PRACTICE THE BASICS until good then move on to something better/harder
Quote by agreth_3rd
Stop fishing for compliments.

That's all I have to say.

dont need compliments dude i just want some help i love playin the guitar and i want to get better.
Quote by synfan69
Any examples that would help me out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v_fFoYgsPo

Satch has some of the greatest vibrato I've ever heard.

Of course, a lot of guitar is preference. I'd say that this type of Vibrato is what you should be aiming for.

- Wait for the actual song to start in the video.

(In particular note 2:26-2:29)

Last edited by Smokey Amp at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by Poglia
+1

No usually around 3 or 4 honestly i couldnt spend 12 hours a day playing lol
Quote by YetAnotherMuso

HA far from Yngwie he is INSANE
Quote by Smokey Amp

Of course, a lot of guitar is preference. I'd say that this type of Vibrato is what you should be aiming for.

That didnt seem to difficult and it sounded great, i'm going to definantly work on it.
Quote by Martindecorum
Thats just it , he has the basic concept, i had the basic concept when learning to drive a car, couldnt do that well HAD TO PRACTICE THE BASICS until good then move on to something better/harder

Oh I agree man, personally I think TS should leave sweep picking alone for quite a while yet, I was just clarifying what he said.
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
Oh I agree man, personally I think TS should leave sweep picking alone for quite a while yet, I was just clarifying what he said.

It is a really difficult technique i understand why i should wait but it sounds so sweet.
Quote by Smokey Amp

Cheers for the video, I always heard Satch was an amazing musician, but never went to look for myself; now I know I guess ! ThankYou very much for opening my eyes...
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
learn to tap its fun
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by YetAnotherMuso

Agreed. Most advanced techniques are often grounded on the basics. If you skip to the difficult stuff, you miss out on the foundations and it'll fall apart. Think of it all like a house- solid foundations provide a better base to build upon.
Page 1 of 2