Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some quick and honest answers to a question that I have. I have been seriously playing guitar for the past 3 months and i just want to know where i should be at in my playing ability. I can do all of the basic stuff such as hammer-ons and pull-offs, chords blah blah. Tremelo picking is relatively easy for me and i can play a numerous amount of songs anything ranging from Metallica to Avenged Sevenfold to Audioslave. I am not near any other guitarists that I know of so I would appreciate some answers from guitarists on this site. And if you could give me some advice on sweep picking that would be great I got the basic 3 string thing down but the 4,5, and 6 string sweeping is a little difficult. Thank you.
TS, is your name James? You sound alot like my friend....
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Depending on which Metallica and A7X songs you are playing i'd say you are progressing well for 3 months.

As far as the sweeps, I think I have to agree with the above poster. It might be a little early, but hey, if you can do them more power to you.

Practice practice practice...that's the way all good players become good.
You are doing the same as what I did when I was at that stage, and I consider myself pretty good.

BUT.

I had hampered my playing abilities badly by not giving theory a chance, and now I am working hard to make up the time I wasted not playing theory, because theory really boosts your ability. And from reading your post, I am guessing that you have not really dabbled in theory, and I strongly suggest you do.

Also, you should've posted this in Electric Guitar.
Or Beginners. I don't know, but The Pit is somewhere you DO NOT go for a legitimate answer, all you will recieve is I Cum Blood and the Pear.

However, that is why I love the pit. When I want to recieve lol's, I come here.

Shit I have ranted, excuse my intake of THC.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by Thepoison92
You just posted this in The Pit too?

yea some guy said that it would be better over here. Im new to this.
Quote by bucketmark
TS, is your name James? You sound alot like my friend....

Nope my names nate
Quote by GitfiddleNinjer
Depending on which Metallica and A7X songs you are playing i'd say you are progressing well for 3 months.

As far as the sweeps, I think I have to agree with the above poster. It might be a little early, but hey, if you can do them more power to you.

Practice practice practice...that's the way all good players become good.

Chapter 4, Brompton Cocktail, Bat Country, Unholy Confessions, Critical Acclaim. For A7X and with Metallica its mostly intros like ...and justice for all and i can play the first minute or so of master of puppets.
Quote by zacharydak
You are doing the same as what I did when I was at that stage, and I consider myself pretty good.

BUT.

I had hampered my playing abilities badly by not giving theory a chance, and now I am working hard to make up the time I wasted not playing theory, because theory really boosts your ability. And from reading your post, I am guessing that you have not really dabbled in theory, and I strongly suggest you do.

Also, you should've posted this in Electric Guitar.
Or Beginners. I don't know, but The Pit is somewhere you DO NOT go for a legitimate answer, all you will recieve is I Cum Blood and the Pear.

However, that is why I love the pit. When I want to recieve lol's, I come here.

Shit I have ranted, excuse my intake of THC.

Not at all i dont know the first thing about theory
Like you started playing 3 months ago, or you only got serious 3 months ago?
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Quote by synfan69
Chapter 4, Brompton Cocktail, Bat Country, Unholy Confessions, Critical Acclaim. For A7X and with Metallica its mostly intros like ...and justice for all and i can play the first minute or so of master of puppets.

Learn the whole songs.
Quote by Wrathlegion
Like you started playing 3 months ago, or you only got serious 3 months ago?

Playing seriously for 3 months the rest of the time before was just doing easy riffs from songs from nirvana or blind melon.
Quote by Horlicks
Learn the whole songs.

Easier said than done i get to a point in a song that i find difficult and i either stop playing that song or i move to another one bad habit i know.
Quote by synfan69
Easier said than done i get to a point in a song that i find difficult and i either stop playing that song or i move to another one bad habit i know.

That's exactly why he told you to play the whole songs. You're not going to get any better doing what you're doing.
Hey everyone im also bad at theory where should i look at to learn the scales and all theory. I would like to learn them instead of playing random stuff that are not useful. please help me=)
There's a Mel Bay book I bought for that. I forget the title of it, but it's wonderful.

Scales are easy to look up though. There's numerous scale and chord dictionaries out there. Honestly at where you're at right now, I'd start with the pentatonic scale in any key, learn the intervals and the notes and from there see how that fits with a progression or a riff. Some of Metallica's later stuff uses pentatonics, same with Megadeth provided you aren't looking at Friedman's lead work from his stint with Dave.

Not too hard to pick up, just some reading and practice practice practice. Good luck man.
Quote by ruiner999
There's a Mel Bay book I bought for that. I forget the title of it, but it's wonderful.

Scales are easy to look up though. There's numerous scale and chord dictionaries out there. Honestly at where you're at right now, I'd start with the pentatonic scale in any key, learn the intervals and the notes and from there see how that fits with a progression or a riff. Some of Metallica's later stuff uses pentatonics, same with Megadeth provided you aren't looking at Friedman's lead work from his stint with Dave.

Not too hard to pick up, just some reading and practice practice practice. Good luck man.

I am a HUGE fan of Dave Musatiane's work and i am going to google Mel Bay to see if i can find that book thanks alot.
Quote by Roc8995
That's exactly why he told you to play the whole songs. You're not going to get any better doing what you're doing.

Wrong.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
im pretty nooby my self, but even i know pentatonics and a few arpeggioes.
i know shitall about theory though.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Quote by synfan69

No offense man, but I could play those after have played for about a month, Chapter Four was actually the first song I learned. Now if you can play the solo in Bat Country, I'll be impressed
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
No offense man, but I could play those after have played for about a month, Chapter Four was actually the first song I learned. Now if you can play the solo in Bat Country, I'll be impressed

none taken. nope cant play the solo and i also learned chapter 4 minus the solo within the first month its really easy cant get the solo down though.
^ I remember I learned it after I'd had my guitar for about 4 days, and my fingers weren't strong enough, so I had to play it with my thumb lol. Good times, good times. But try and learn the first 2 minutes of My Curse by Killswitch Engage. That song really helped me progress a lot in guitar. It's also pretty fun to play. BTW for the chorus, learn the rhythm part too
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
^ I remember I learned it after I'd had my guitar for about 4 days, and my fingers weren't strong enough, so I had to play it with my thumb lol. Good times, good times. But try and learn the first 2 minutes of My Curse by Killswitch Engage. That song really helped me progress a lot in guitar. It's also pretty fun to play. BTW for the chorus, learn the rhythm part too

Well i guess you just progress faster than others lol. And I will check out the tabs for it i wish i could just learn by ear but that is probably awhile away.
Learn to tap before you start to sweep. My sweeps are horrible and messy, and I've played for 15 months. Tapping is very easy though when you get the hang of it, and it's a massive impressing device. My advice is just... Keep on playing, you'll eventually end up shredding.

I think you're pretty good, but just one thing - The first minute of Master of Puppets is like the hardest. I've never actuallty got the hang of the spider crawl riff... But the rest is pretty easy.
Quote by GustavLW
Learn to tap before you start to sweep. My sweeps are horrible and messy, and I've played for 15 months. Tapping is very easy though when you get the hang of it, and it's a massive impressing device. My advice is just... Keep on playing, you'll eventually end up shredding.

I think you're pretty good, but just one thing - The first minute of Master of Puppets is like the hardest. I've never actuallty got the hang of the spider crawl riff... But the rest is pretty easy.

Thanks man tapping i agree tapping is pretty easy and i was just fooling around one day and i did it NOT up to speed but its probably around 80% i'd say it is pretty tough