Hey guys, I am trying to learn a bit of French. It is obviously somewhat confusing, but one thing has got me stumped.

What is the difference between 'tu es' and 'vous etes'? I know they are both meant to mean 'you are' but I don't really get how to use each one. Can they be used interchangeably? Or are they supposed to be used in different contexts?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bonjour, J'mapelle YetAnozzerMuzzo. A Tout Le Monde...there, I've taught you all the french I know.
The spelling.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Although I don't do french, from what I know with german, I'd say that 'tu es' is the singular second person, and 'vous etes' is the plural second person, ie. 'tu es' is for "you are", and 'vous etes' is for "you all are (ie talking to more than one person)".

That is just a guess, but i hope it helps
Tu es is singular, vous êtes is plural, or singular formal.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Wow, it's been a long time since I took French and honestly i don't remember much of it, but i'll take a shot at it.

I do believe " tu es " is plural...or used when there is more than one person. Whereas " vous etes " would be used in the singular context.

...i'm not 100% certain on this.

God I hated French. I should have taken Spanish in school.
Hi mate,

In fact, in my beautiful mother language, "Tu es" is used when you talk with a friend, or a kid,...it's familiar (i'am not sure it's the right term), and also use for a one person. "Vous êtes" is used when you talk to a group of people, or if you talk to somebody you don't know, or an adult, or a workmate, your boss,... It's a more respectuous form.

It's only that In english there is no difference.

I hope i gave you a little help
Last edited by Twx at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by Twx
Hi mate,

In fact, in my beautiful mother language, "Tu es" is used when you talk with a friend, or a kid,...it's familiar (i'am not sure it's the right term). "Vous êtes" is used when you talk to a group of people, or if you talk to somebody you don't know, or an adult, or a workmate, your boss,... It's a more respectuous form.

I ****ing hate bilingual people. They make me so sick (with envy).
Quote by agreth_3rd
I ****ing hate bilingual people. They make me so sick (with envy).

We do rock....
BROCCOLIS
I ated them all.
Heh I was backwards.

As an American I found French extremely hard to learn. Especially the conjugation and the little nuances contained within the language.

English is such a basic language form compared to French. It's hard to believe at times that English is the International standard...probably because it's so simple...
Quote by jhardcore
Hey guys, I am trying to learn a bit of French. It is obviously somewhat confusing, but one thing has got me stumped.

What is the difference between 'tu es' and 'vous etes'? I know they are both meant to mean 'you are' but I don't really get how to use each one. Can they be used interchangeably? Or are they supposed to be used in different contexts?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tu es, you adress ONE person, informal way.

Vous êtes, if you adress ONE person, it's formal. You use it if you adress a group of people, too. (Vous êtes de bons musiciens --> You are good musicians)
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Twx
Hi mate,

In fact, in my beautiful mother language, "Tu es" is used when you talk with a friend, or a kid,...it's familiar (i'am not sure it's the right term), and also use for a one person. "Vous êtes" is used when you talk to a group of people, or if you talk to somebody you don't know, or an adult, or a workmate, your boss,... It's a more respectuous form.

Thanks a lot! That really helps.
Tu es - 2nd person singular, informal
vous êtes - 2nd person plural OR used as formal 2nd person singular

Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell
For once i made an useful post^^

--->I go to the Pub 8D
Tu = singular
Vous = Plural

Also
Tu = informal (addressing a friend/family member of the same age)
Vous = formal (everyone else, teachers, people in authority, strangers etc)

Never ever ever tu someone that you should vous, the French don't like that, it's considered highly rude.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Tu = singular
Vous = Plural

Also
Tu = informal (addressing a friend/family member of the same age)
Vous = formal (everyone else, teachers, people in authority, strangers etc)

Never ever ever tu someone that you should vous, the French don't like that, it's considered highly rude.

Hey, you should hate your username. Apparently, "shit" isn't even censored anymore.
Only three phrases you'll need:

"Merde!"
"Je ne sais pas"
"Je ne comprends pas"

Done.
Quote by bendystraw
I go down on one knee and do that shit cello style

Quote by GitfiddleNinjer
English is such a basic language form compared to French. It's hard to believe at times that English is the International standard...probably because it's so simple...

Well it depends on who you are I guess. I mean I personally find the Germanic languages fairly easy to pick up (not that I'm fluent in any) because they have so much in common with English phonetically, and so I'm sure the Germans would find it relatively easy vice versa. But for the Japanese for example, English is a HARD language to learn because it is so completely different structurally and phonetically...I know just trying to learn a bit of Japanese was difficult for me.
i learnt french for 4 years.

in that time, the only things i remember from french class are:
1) a guy in a french teaching video who poured a glass of milk, without taking the cap off the milk
2) a guy in an aeroplane who spilled water on himself and said "je me lave! attenents pou!" which sounded exactly like "ohh my god, i've done a poo"

i hope that i helped with your french work.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!