so in school i have to build an electric guitar.
and it was fun at first but now im ****ing sick of it.

does it really matter if the neck pockets not completely
flat or even or whatever?
me and my friend dont think it has to be perfect but i
figured if someone else had an opinion i might as well listen
to them.
yeah, it has to be perfect. imagine if u were playin and ur neck started wobbling around. it aint pretty.

o, and if its not fun anymore, ur doin somthin wrong, imho.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I'm not quite sure what you mean,

what type of guitar are you making? is it bolt on, or glued in neck?

Either way, then yeah I would get both surfaces as flat and even as possible. If you are on about getting the neck tilt spot on, then you can use shims between the neck and body to get it right.

Obviously, If you wanna be shit hot, than yeah, cut the neck tilt into the body cavity/neck as appropriate - but no one will see it.

Every bolt on I have every owned (I think about 5) has had a shim, granted, non of them cost more than £200, but they each had one.

Edit - AJK is right though - it all has to be a nice snug fit. Years ago I got my mate to make an SG body at college for me - he didn't pay much attention to neck cavity and it turned out shite and unplayable.

Shame i chucked it though, he died in a car crash a few years later LOL
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Last edited by cuthbertg at Nov 4, 2008,
its just annoying.
my teachers making me do all
this stupid stuff and hes making me carve it
out with a ****ing chisel and its just
getting annoying. i really liked it at first
but hes the one thats really killing it for me.

im probably not even gonna play it.

just put it up on my wall or something.
i dont expect it to play well.
and besides i have my esp :P
its a bolt on neck.
and its not horribly uneven.

its just not perfect.
ive been doing the whole thing by hand
Man, I hear ya!

If you're not getting marks for playability, then the path of least resistance is to just cobble it together as best you can - depands if you need the marks etc.

Then again, If i had the access to a decent workshop etc then I would be stoked, try to focus on the instrument and forget about the fact the he's making you do a job that normally requires some kind of router!

Or just get it to a state where it will get you the marks etc for school and then take it home and dial in properly.

It's a bugger, cos it's never as easy as it looks at first!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
make sure you've at least got decent sharp chisels

sorry for repost
okay, tell ur teacher hes a f***ing dick and that the right way is to use a router. i agree, if playability aint an issue, f*** it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
IMO, if your making a guitar (by choice) and you arent going to put in the effort to make it playable (neck pocket flat etc) then why are you bothering?

You should tell him it could get made a lot quicker and more accurately if you knocked up a couple of templates and used a router (obviously chisels can be used to good affect but it takes skill).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah, I'm sure a skilled luthier could cut 'em with a very sharp chisel in an hour or so - after say, 20 years experience.......

Tell him you'll carve some other part of it with a f*cking chisel, try speaking to him and saying (nicely) look dude, I may be getting stroppy about this, but it's because I care - I want to do this right. If I do, I'll have something that I will use nearly every day, instead of something that will gather dust in the folks' attic......and I'll always have you to thank for it.....

remember, softly softly catch e'monkey

or offer to give him a blow job

It is a shame though, I was I had the opportunity to do that
Last edited by cuthbertg at Nov 4, 2008,
The teacher is trying to teach you one of the proper ways to do things. Yea a router is easier but Im gonna imagine the point of wood shop is the learn to work with wood not templates and power tools.
^yeah but name one pro who uses chisels...sure evh did it and i did it a couple times, but ormsby, paul reed smith, those guys all use routers...and for the record, last time i had woodshop, we always used routers/other power tools.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines - that's why I suggested doing some other bit with chisels.

Thing is, it's such a critical link that if he's losing heart over it and knows that the way it is done in the industry is with a router - then I reckon explaining all this to the teacher and agreeing some sort of compromise must be the way forward. I can kinda see both sides of this, and like I said, It would be a shame to lose a great opportunity like that.

Hell, he may end up being the teacher's pet!
^lol

i will admit tho, doin it with chisels not cause u dont have a router but cause ur teacher says so does get boring...

i say make it not as good for the grade, then clean it up with a router afterwards so its playable.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
if you are annoyed by taking the long way of doing something you supposedly(sp) like , and you are not enjoying every aspect of doing it, even the hard stuff. than maybe its not for you... sure you can do it in ten seconds, but do you think gibson respects all the guitars they make? they would if they did it by hand.
^ Gibson respects the money that they generate.

It is true, routers produce better results in less time. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to do thing without tools. Thats kinda why we have tools...

You aren't going to fart on your pizza pop to make it warm, why use a chisel when you can use a router?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
^ Gibson respects the money that they generate.

It is true, routers produce better results in less time. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to do thing without tools. Thats kinda why we have tools...

You aren't going to fart on your pizza pop to make it warm, why use a chisel when you can use a router?

Damn it, Otter.... You just made me spit coffee all over my computer.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
^ hahaha.

I would say sig me, but not even I can top the "headmaster".

I got mine at a bus depot .

She said she threw up because of the diesel fumes. Bullshit.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
well it was alot of fun at first and your right i shouldnt be getting
bored with it because that does suck.
but its just really annoying. ive seriously been sitting in th esame spot
for two weeks carving away with the damn chisel and the other thing i
also dont like about it is that the chisel takes off more than you want it
too. i already ****ed it up once (luckily in a spot that i didnt need) but thats
not cool if it happens and i ruin the whole thing...im a very impatient person
if no one could tell
ask another teacher if you can borrow the schools router take it home and do it there, then bring it in to school and show the said teacher your da vinci like chiseling skills
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
how the hell are you gunna do the pickup cavities? Hopefully its not a trem, especially a floyd rose

I hope it all works out for you...