Hey guys, let me tell you a story...

Got a new wah pot yesterday and needed a soldering iron, so went to one of my dad's friends to borrow one. Whilst chatting he said oh if you're into effects check this out...

He got out this black case that someone found in a flooded basement, you can actually see the water line on it. It's a powered effects pedalboard. Inside we have a discontinued boss compression sustainer cs-1, vintage ibanez digital delay ddl, korg phs1 phaser and a 1970's ibanez fuzz machine (standard fuzz). They've all been drenched, and are covered in crap inside. He's given it to me to mess around with. I've taken apart and cleaned out the delay and it works! There's some pot scratching so might have to give it a more thorough clean.

This is someone's rig and its exactly how they've left it inside. Patch cables, power cables connected n all. Got no idea how old it is or how long it was flooded for or how long its been dry for. All I know is, its cool.

Does anyone have any more information on these pedals? Or how old they all are? Or any tips on how to clean them? So far I'm just removing all the circuitary and giving them a blast with contact cleaner. Might try WD-40 too?

Just thought I'd share the experience guys!
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Last edited by fretblaze at Nov 5, 2008,
pics, man...sounds like an awesome deal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
If its possible to restore them, then that is awesome.. if not then..

its like someone giving you brand new gibson les paul... with warped wood, no pickups, no fretboard and no tuning pegs. Im sure its still possible to fix, but not worth it.
I'll get some pics together for you guys.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
id say the best idea is to use a hair dryer on cool to finish drying them out, then gently take everything out and wipe it down. make sure you get all the gunk out and get it as clean as possible. then look at all the parts and see if everything looks ok. some transistors might need to be replaced, and i would guess that some caps may have gone bad under the stress of (possible) repeated submersions and dryings. so then replace anything that looks bad if possible before you turn them on.

also, i wouldnt use WD-40 to clean the pots, or anything for that matter. use contact cleaner and other soft stuff. no harsh sprays or oils if you can avoid it.
Sounds like an opportunity, be sure to post pics KK?

I'd be careful with a hair dryer, they do actually get pretty hot. You don't want to damage the small components

Sorry it took so long guys, enjoy!

Everything has been cleaned up since, had to replace one fuse and a few screws but other than that everything works!

The Ibanez DDL makes a harsh/strange sound when I turn the rate knob, but thats normal with a delay right? It also seems to put some clipping on the delay, which is weird so I might give it another clean and see.

Is a compression sustainer meant to make a sort of poppy/clicky type of sound when you play?

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Quote by jof1029
id say the best idea is to use a hair dryer on cool to finish drying them out, then gently take everything out and wipe it down. make sure you get all the gunk out and get it as clean as possible. then look at all the parts and see if everything looks ok. some transistors might need to be replaced, and i would guess that some caps may have gone bad under the stress of (possible) repeated submersions and dryings. so then replace anything that looks bad if possible before you turn them on.

also, i wouldnt use WD-40 to clean the pots, or anything for that matter. use contact cleaner and other soft stuff. no harsh sprays or oils if you can avoid it.

+1 to all that.

Those pedals have badass enclosures! Especially that fuzz.