i started playing 5 months ago, and i have one pedal, the boss ds-1. i just wanted a basic dist. but for christmas i want to gift myself a second pedal, or maybe 2. i like playing van halen, so im aching for a phase shift. or a flanger. but i'd also like a delay pedal. should i get the two separately? or should i invest in a mult-effects pedal, like a zoom or something? im spending under $220.
i think a multi effects one would be best
i bought one a couple months ago for 99 dollars and it has over 90 differnet effects
including distortion- delay etc.
you're new to guitar so a multi fx unit would definitely be good in helping you find out what various effects do

the zoom g2's are decent

and zoom g7.1 is pretty solid

just stay away from digitech

some would even recommend the boss gt6 which is good, but thats a bit pricey. the boss me series isnt that good though, id say the zoom g2 trumps it in terms of sound for the dollar
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
since you know what you want I am going to say go with the separate pedals. sure MFX are fun for experimenting, but like i said, you know what you want. For a decent delay check out the Boss line. or the MXR carbon copy.

for a phaser check out the MXR phase 90. dont bother paying the extra couple bucks for the EVH one. you should be looking for your own sound, not someone else's.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yeah ive heard good things about the g2. my buddy has a g1x and it seems alright, i've never personally played with it though. zoom may be the way to go. that phase effect's really important to me, so ill check out a g2 sometime soon and see how it sounds. thx
Well, you have three options.

1) Get single effects, which are much better quality than Multi-fx (unless you buy really shit ones).

2) Get a Multi-fx for you to learn about pedals, so you know which ones you like when you go onto buying single pedals.

3) Upgrade your amp if it's not good.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by LaidBack
since you know what you want I am going to say go with the separate pedals. sure MFX are fun for experimenting, but like i said, you know what you want. For a decent delay check out the Boss line. or the MXR carbon copy.

for a phaser check out the MXR phase 90. dont bother paying the extra couple bucks for the EVH one. you should be looking for your own sound, not someone else's.

yeah i saw a demo of the evh phase 90 and it didnt sound like anything special. ill check out the regular one though, that may be a good option, i hear they're pretty affordable too
Look into the EHX Nano Small Stone too.

Nano > regular.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
go for single pedals now if you can

honestly, most cheap multi Fxs are crap and you'll just end up replacing them down the line
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
thats a good point.
i see you have a ph-3. thats a phaser i looked at earlier, is it worth it compared to others?
i havent really compared it to much tbh

it'd do van halen but its fairly modern sounding overall.

the rise and fall modes are good for flange style sounds too

im not really a connoisseur of modulation pedals, but it suits me fine
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.