hey guys, was going to get an epiphone les paul special II for christmas, untill I walked into an ibanez grg 170dx... they look real metal, and they sound pretty good from what I've heard so far! And for the price (under €200) they both seem to be fine

the thing is, I do not yet know how to play, and I wanted to start on something I like, playing mostly metal (in flames, antestor, metallica, ozzy) and normall rock (U2 & just chords). I will not be using any kind of tremolo, and I've already decided I will go for a Line6 spider 15 to go with it, because I like it better than the roland cube.

So the question is. Which one is the better of the two, quality and reliability wise?

ibanez: http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=GRG170DX
epiphone: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=21&CollectionID=6
none, go used and buy a LP std for that price.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
for the epiphone guitars, try not to go below the standard range. you'll want to sell the les paul special II pretty soon after, as it has inferior specs and stuff.

you'll find going used the best bang for the buck, so i agree with LPCL.

The general statement in this forum is "Line 6 spiders suck, get a roland cube or vox valvetronix". I personally feel that the cube is tonally superior to the spider. IMO i really dislike the spider's tone compared to the cube, and i chose the cube30 to be my first amp over the spider. so you might want to carefully select the amp as well.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
spider sux, epi special sux. get an ltd m-50 like I got, and get a roland cube
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Quote by Wrathlegion
spider sux, epi special sux. get an ltd m-50 like I got, and get a roland cube

Quote by StickySeatbelt

So the question is. Which one is the better of the two, quality and reliability wise?

*sigh*

edit: just to let you know, up here in the Netherlands we don't have as much choise in guitars as you do in Germany, England and America...

As for the Line6, I do like its tone, I've heard some good stuff and one of my buddies has a Roland Cube 30W, it's okay but I don't like it that much.
Last edited by StickySeatbelt at Nov 4, 2008,
also check your ebay. look for a used rg! you can get really nice used rgs for the price of a new lower end rg.
^^ That doesnt mean you cant get an epi LP std second hand. I live in belgium. I know whats possible to get around here.

I looked for 5 mins on tweedehands.nl and i already find some interesting guitars in your budget:

Considder this one: looks good, wood looks ok, maybe needs a pickup swap.
http://link.marktplaats.nl/195892416

Or this one: Seems a bit better than the first one.
http://link.marktplaats.nl/202565473

And this looks like a real bargain:
http://link.marktplaats.nl/205253056
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by StickySeatbelt
*sigh*

edit: just to let you know, up here in the Netherlands we don't have as much choise in guitars as you do in Germany, England and America...

As for the Line6, I do like its tone, I've heard some good stuff and one of my buddies has a Roland Cube 30W, it's okay but I don't like it that much.

try www.thomann.de
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
use the website...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^You asked advice. You want advice? Then stop bieing a moron and listen to the advice people give you. That doesnt mean you have to act on it yet.
Its just stupid to ask advice while you already made up your mind. The LP special II and the GRG are NOT good guitars. You are warned.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
why the **** would you not order off the website ?
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
because I like to be able to just walk down to the store when it stops working or has some technical issues. thats the **** why.
Quote by StickySeatbelt
because I like to be able to just walk down to the store when it stops working or has some technical issues. thats the **** why.

You won't get technical issues if you don't buy a shitty guitar.