yes i used the search bar. i don't really know what i'm looking for but i have a fender american standard strat and a gibson les paul studio- and my friend with an epiphone sheraton II and a seymour duncan tweak fuzz kicks the **** out of me with his tone. his tone is perfect, and mine always seems weak compared to his. i get nice lead tones out of my valveking 112(yes i know many of you hate them and think that could be the problem) but it's not the amp. my friend has to use a cheaper solid state amp of mine whenever we jam so it's not the amp.

my wah pedal always helps but something about his tone.
it's so sweet, kinda like layla and sweet child o' mine tones...i don't know

i have a: crybaby wah, boss phaser, boss flanger, boss chorus, boss tremolo, bos distortion ( i dont use it i use my amp's gain which is much better).

adn yes i know many ofyou hate boss, but i barely use these pedals in my playing.
i'm not really looking for a boost gain pedal, but is there anything you guys know of that will give a kickass lead tone? i'm not really a fan of filteres and envelopes.

and i think i've crossed out almost all of the possibilities.
only other pedals i have on my list are a rotovie adn a delay (which doesn't help tone, although it makes solos more kickass)

please help and gimme a pedal that kicks ass that i haven't already mentioned

watch the video in my sig to hear his tone and mine. i'm obviously the one with the lp who isn't as good of a player, and he's the one with the sheraton who solos first.
He's a better player, practice more. Tone comes from fingers, not endless effect chains.

If you don't believe me, play through his rig. You'll sound almost exactly the same.
Last edited by Horlicks at Nov 4, 2008,
If there was just one pedal for great leads, don't you think you'd already know about it? You have to experiment to get your own good sound.
practice and take the pedals you dont use out of your chain. when you start lining up all those boss effects your tone is really sucked out. they're not true bypass and adding all those additional cables doesnt help either.
a fuzz plus a delay sounds sick to me...i play it through my blues jr live and i get some heavenly tones
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
i know i gotta keep playing and get better.. but actually i don't sound as good when i use his gear, so maybe it's the guitar? idk. but for those who haven't noticed, i wasn't using any pedals in that video and i don't usually. so yea i dont know if there is an answer, i just gotta keep experimenting. keep the replies coming tho guys thanks
Quote by dbl93100
i know i gotta keep playing and get better.. but actually i don't sound as good when i use his gear, so maybe it's the guitar?

It's you.
better play will help, but try using the neck pickup if you dont already. or rolling back on the tone knob on your guitar to cut back on the treble and give it a fatter sound. or a mix of both.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If you dont sound as good through his rig, you've got to practice.
Better Picking Articulation, cleaner vibrato, smoother runs, than once you've reached his level, YOUR rig will sound better.
i know i'm not as good and need to practice...but having better licks won't change the sound of all my gear and my tone coming from the amp...that's really what i'm looking for. the tone from his sheraton + seymour duncan tweakfuzz is amazing.

are there any sick pedals that give you a piercing lead tone?
for example, i know everyone likes the ibanez tubescreamer
I cant believe no one has said this yet:

Seeing that you are looking for an INSANE tone, Clearly the amp or pedal for you is Line 6. On their spider amps and distortion pedals there is an insane setting. That should be what your looking for.

; )
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
I cant believe no one has said this yet:

Seeing that you are looking for an INSANE tone, Clearly the amp or pedal for you is Line 6. On their spider amps and distortion pedals there is an insane setting. That should be what your looking for.

; )

No one said it because it wasn't funny nor helpful.
Quote by Horlicks
No one said it because it wasn't funny nor helpful.

Noted
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by sesstreets
You really aren't listening.

Playing better sounds better.

TS, I can say it alot clearer and ruder than this, but just take everyones advice and PRACTICE MORE.

if you get better, it'll sound better.
dbl3900, if you don't sound as good when you use his gear, it's because you're not as good of a player. Even if you're just playing one note at a time, proper intonation, pick attack, ligado, muting of unused strings, dynamics, and sense of rhythm makes a huge difference. It's the difference between you or some other amateur thinking you're playing it right, and actually playing it right.
guys i understand all of you. but if he plays one note - it's sick.
if i play the same note the same way - my tone is just underpowered. it's thin and light compared to his. this question is about tone. i know that if i play better it'll sound better.
but playing good isn't the answer to my question.
alot of tone comes from you. but asfar as just buying a pedal try the zvex machine. it is an interesting pedal. may work may not. but practise things like vibrato and play with your eq
Im all outa signature
Quote by bazman13
alot of tone comes from you. but asfar as just buying a pedal try the zvex machine. it is an interesting pedal. may work may not. but practise things like vibrato and play with your eq

thanks, that's the best answer i've gotten so far.
Vox Satchurator?
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Actually I agree with Al. It may just be the standpoint from which you are hearing it. To me it sounds like your tone is alot thicker (just judging of the vid)
Quote by Ubershall404
Noted

pwn'd

sorry i thought it was funny

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe