All,

Apologies, but I was made redundant recently and I have far too much time on my hands at the moment!

I found this link

which looks interesting - it describes two pot mods

1) how to change the resistance on a pot so that it gets closer to the the published value. ie getting your 500k pot which actually meters at 470k to meter at 500k + by scraping excess carbon off the resistive element

2) The 'nail varnish mod' - to put nail varnish, or similar on the resistive element between the 9 and 10 posistions on the tone pot, so that when you set it to this posistion, the insulating effect of the nail varnish switches the tone pot off

Any UGers tried either of these?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
That first one seems a bit "only Eric Johnson would notice" (though it's probably a real handy mod) but that second one is pretty decent, I'll now actually click the link

I may try the nail varnish one on one of my guitars just to see like.
Yeah, I like the simplicity of the nail varnish mod - no extra bits to solder in etc.

This is probably where my knowledge of these things stops rather abrubtly, but I was thinking that if you paint varnish over the 9-to bit, then arent you losing that bit of range with the tone pot on?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
1) how to change the resistance on a pot so that it gets closer to the the published value. ie getting your 500k pot which actually meters at 470k to meter at 500k + by scraping excess carbon off the resistive element
This makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop.

Who cares? A 10% change in the value of the pot will make little difference in the loading of the pickup and the sound. And only a moron would think that the published value would necessarily be the best choice. It may be that having the resistance slightly lower will dull the tone perfectly and by scraping you're making things slightly brighter. All that effort to make things just a tiny bit worse.

What's even worse: you could be causing an abrubt change in value from one position to the next, if you aren't careful with the way you scrape the carbon. You've taken a good quality function pot and made it noisy.

Quote by cuthbertg
2) The 'nail varnish mod' - to put nail varnish, or similar on the resistive element between the 9 and 10 posistions on the tone pot, so that when you set it to this posistion, the insulating effect of the nail varnish switches the tone pot off
this one actually makes a bit of sense. this is what's known as a "no-load" tone pots.

Be SURE to let the nail polish harden well before you sweep the wiper across it. Maybe hit is with a hair dryer or heat gun to dry it thoroughly. if the wiper picks up even a trace of the nail polish, it will cause the pot to become intermittent.

Quote by cuthbertg
Yeah, I like the simplicity of the nail varnish mod - no extra bits to solder in etc.

This is probably where my knowledge of these things stops rather abrubtly, but I was thinking that if you paint varnish over the 9-to bit, then arent you losing that bit of range with the tone pot on?
Yes. you give up the range from 9 to 10.

and you GET the setting at 11.

fortunately, there isn't much too difference between 9~10. but it will be a noticeable jump from 10 (actually 11) to 9 when you rotate the pot.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 4, 2008,
I didn't make that up. I stole it. Larry the Cable Guy, I think.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I didn't explain number 1 properly - for instance, you dont scrape any from where contact is made - check the link.

The stuff you said about the nail varnish mod makes sense - cheers for that.

Who's Larry the cable guy?
He'll be around your house between 12 and 4.

Well, that whole nail varnish thing seems more trouble that it's worth, in my opinion.

What exactly is it supposed to do?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
It's supposed to switch the tone off - almost like you dont even have one - and make it brighter.

Looks like you can buy pots like that, still I'm gonna give it a try though
It's supposed to switch the tone off - almost like just like you dont even have one - and make it brighter.

Looks like you can buy pots like that, still I'm gonna give it a try though*fixed*

personally, i don't have a use for it. i used normally wound pickups and they're bright enough as-is with a normal tone control arrangement. but i would imagine it might be useful with some of the hotter wound pickups.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411