i have an acoustic-electric, an electric bass, a bass amp, and a few pedals for my bass which all work with the acoustic (including the amp).

i want to get into recording using my laptop and whatever i can do with my equipment. as far as i know, ill need an interface (i guess ill go for a usb interface like maudio fast track) and a mic (sm57 perhaps?). and then ill need a wire to connect the mic to the interface. and everything should be good to go? can i plug my amp or instruments straight to the interface or something like that instead of using a mic placed infront of my amp or instrument (is that whats considered "mic the amp"?)?

also, i would like to get a set up that i can advance myself with and learn somet things with. so something fairly decent but still good to begin with. im willing to spend between 100-300 if thats what it takes. i just dont want to have one bland option and no options whatsoever, leaving me wanting more and being disappointed after ive a few sessions and realizing what else id want.

so if anyone could suggest some things or clear something up for me, please do. thanks.
can i plug my amp or instruments straight to the interface or something like that instead of using a mic placed infront of my amp or instrument (is that whats considered "mic the amp"?)?

Firstly, yes that is what mic the amp means. Secondly, you can either plug your guitars straight in: this is very common with bass, but most people still who can prefer to mic a guitar amp as it gives a more natural sound. Either way experment wand see which your prefer. Sam for the electro-acoustic, you could either just mic it or plug straight in.

Btw, you can start recording with just one cable if you get one with a 1/4 inch jack (ie guitar size) at one end and a 1/8 inch jack (earphone jack sized) at the other end and then plug your amp or electro acoustic or bass into the laptops mic input. That way you can get a feel for recording for relatively no money, then you can decide to buy mic and interfaces a bit later.

Also, you can only plug your amp in if it has a socket marked something like "Headphones" or "line out"
ya i was also wondering if i could just use a certain wire to plug straight into the comp. thats probably the best way to start off, like you said. are there specific brands or wires to go for, or just whatever i can get my hands on?

my amp has a headphones output so that would work too. is there much advantage or difference using the amp to computer rather than bass straight to computer? i guess it would add any of the amps specific sound qualities and effects (i think maybe referred to as pre-amp?). probably the same as using pedals within the line before the computer?

also, i was looking at the E-MU Xmidi 1X1 USB MIDI interface. looks basically like a wire. is that any different and offer advantages over using a 1/4 to 1/8 wire in the laptops mic input?
midi isn't going to do anything for you. It isn't used for audio.
It only transfers midi data so, yeah........
Quote by theWallofYAWN
ya i was also wondering if i could just use a certain wire to plug straight into the comp. thats probably the best way to start off, like you said. are there specific brands or wires to go for, or just whatever i can get my hands on?

my amp has a headphones output so that would work too. is there much advantage or difference using the amp to computer rather than bass straight to computer? i guess it would add any of the amps specific sound qualities and effects (i think maybe referred to as pre-amp?). probably the same as using pedals within the line before the computer?

also, i was looking at the E-MU Xmidi 1X1 USB MIDI interface. looks basically like a wire. is that any different and offer advantages over using a 1/4 to 1/8 wire in the laptops mic input?

Noooo, don't get the MIDI thing. It's only for transmitting MIDI data, not actual sound.

And yeah, it would be best to use the amp. If you just plug straight in you get a very dry flat sound. It can work for bass, but not guitar, so I'd sue the amp. Sam with pedals, like you said.

No specific brands of wires, just amke sure it's the right connections.
ok thanks for the help. youve made a lot more clear for me so far.

another thing im wondering is if i skip the interface for now and just get a mic and plug straight into my computer mic input and then record my guitar and vocals at the same time. is that another good simple way to get into recording like using the 1/8 to 1/4 except now with the ability to do vocals too? does it sound comparable to plugging through an amp or interface? does it sound decent at all to use for getting familiar with recording until i decide to get more advanced and serious?