Hi, the bassist in my band can barelly be heard over a half stack and a 2x12 combo amp.

he plays through a 400 watt head (forget the brand) and 4x10 ampeg cab. we can barelly hear him.

what would be a better purchase to make him louder?

another 4x10 cab to make a full stack?

or a bigger head (maybe a 600 watt ashdown?)

thank you in advance
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
If the guitars scoop their mids, then that could be the problem. Is he turning it up all the way?
the 2x12 is a SS crate combo, it is not scooped, the mids are boosted with lows around 5

the half stack is a solid state crate with scooped (mids around 4) with the bass pretty high (like 7ish)

how loud? half stack at 6ish, combo at 5ish

the bass's eq is pretty much all dimed in an attempt to cut through better. although we tried other eq settings.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Place the cabinet on a stand or a table and it will project much much better. Another more unusual option is to make the cab into a horn. Ive seen it done on a 1x15 and it definately sounded more louder. It was pretty well done, made out of fiberglass and plywood. Ive seen it done also on talkbass so you could check that out.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
could be the positioning of the amps or room acoustics prehaps?

is the bassist using any pedals? try without the pedals.. maybe the batteries are low or the wiring's faulty

maybe also turn the guitars down a bit and get the drummer to play a bit quieter?
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by Phishead42
Place the cabinet on a stand or a table and it will project much much better. Another more unusual option is to make the cab into a horn. Ive seen it done on a 1x15 and it definately sounded more louder. It was pretty well done, made out of fiberglass and plywood. Ive seen it done also on talkbass so you could check that out.

tried that..nothing significant

make the cab into a horn? thats abit too ambitious for us lol

Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
could be the positioning of the amps or room acoustics prehaps?

is the bassist using any pedals? try without the pedals.. maybe the batteries are low or the wiring's faulty

maybe also turn the guitars down a bit and get the drummer to play a bit quieter?

weve practiced in a basement, weve practiced in a square rehersal space, weve practiced in all sorts of rooms same story every time.

no pedals.

the guitars arent really that high..and the drummer says he cant play quiter lol

wich i guess brings us to the original quastion- another cab or bigger head?

thanks for the replies so far
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Quote by shaakaal
tried that..nothing significant

make the cab into a horn? thats abit too ambitious for us lol

weve practiced in a basement, weve practiced in a square rehersal space, weve practiced in all sorts of rooms same story every time.

no pedals.

the guitars arent really that high..and the drummer says he cant play quiter lol

wich i guess brings us to the original quastion- another cab or bigger head?

thanks for the replies so far

Well again I ask, is the bassist turning his amp up all the way?

EDIT: I see your sig, do you have that flexwave piece of crap?
I have it and that could be your problem.
Last edited by coryklok at Nov 4, 2008,
if you placed in on a table that is near ear level, it will definately sound louder, i cant understand that you didnt hear any difference.
Maybe when its up on the table you should tilt it back, maybe against a wall and it will project better.

Maybe put your guitar amps on the ground, and tilted away from where you guys are playing and it will decrease thier volume. Are you playing outside? whenever i play outside its harder to hear everyone.
Maybe borrow another cab of someone a 4x10 or 1x15 and see if that helps. His head is rougly running at 300 watts and another cab will put 200 watts each side. also boost the mids on his amp and have bass turned up high. Is it an ampeg head and a b series the pro series are good especially the usa made ones. The b ones are underpowered and dont sound great. Find out what head he is using.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by coryklok
Well again I ask, is the bassist turning his amp up all the way?

EDIT: I see your sig, do you have that flexwave piece of crap?

yes, all the way up

its not a flexwave, its one of the older ones. yes, i need a new amp, yes lookign for one

Quote by fatgoogle
Maybe borrow another cab of someone a 4x10 or 1x15 and see if that helps. His head is rougly running at 300 watts and another cab will put 200 watts each side. also boost the mids on his amp and have bass turned up high. Is it an ampeg head and a b series the pro series are good especially the usa made ones. The b ones are underpowered and dont sound great. Find out what head he is using.

mids are boosted, bass boosted.

hmm, borrowing one and trying it befroe spending money might be a smart thing to do heh.

the heads not an ampeg, but its 400 watts. forget brand, but ill check tonight or tommorow
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Quote by shaakaal
yes, all the way up

its not a flexwave, its one of the older ones. yes, i need a new amp, yes lookign for one

Hmm, then I can't see where a problem could be.
is the cab your running 4ohms? if it is i wouldnt get another cab.
What head is he using? If it's Behringer, who are rumoured to not put the RMS wattage on their heads, then your friend might be running only say 150 watts, which could explain the problem.
Quote by Phishead42
is the cab your running 4ohms? if it is i wouldnt get another cab.

cab is 8 ohms.

two 8 ohm cabs works out to 4 ohms right?

Quote by Froggy McHop
What head is he using? If it's Behringer, who are rumoured to not put the RMS wattage on their heads, then your friend might be running only say 150 watts, which could explain the problem.

not behringer. some company ive never never heard of, hence why i dont remember it.

i dont think the head is the problem, the bassist used to run a mesa boogie walkabout (or something like that) adn even that through that cab wasnt that loud enough.

maybe the problem is the cab? i alwyas thought if a cab is broken, it would make no sound or tiny sound
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
If you've tried different heads then I'd guess the cab must be broken. 400 watts through a 4x10 should be more than enough for that situation.
Quote by Zycho
If you've tried different heads then I'd guess the cab must be broken. 400 watts through a 4x10 should be more than enough for that situation.

Its not 400 watts through a 4x10 its 300 at the most because im guessing that the head doesnt use speakon connecters so some single will be lost.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
He's running at 8 ohms. That 400W head is only giving around 250W to the speakers. New cab (a 115 maybe?) would be the most effective way to get more power and push more air into the bargain.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1