Hi, is it normal for hard tail bridges to make the strings feel much tighter than on a floyd rose or is it more to do with the scale lenght of the neck?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Most likely scale length.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Scale length, definitely.
Although, I do notice a difference in bending notes on a floating bridge versus a hardtail. It seems to flow a little more naturally to me with a floating bridge.
it is normal. while the biggest variable in string tension at pitch is gauge, a floyd will feel much looser than a stop bar or string through due to it's floating rest point. striking a string causes more tension than the bridge was leveled at, so it'll give a little whereas a stop bar won't.

this is the same reason bending one string will drop the pitch on all the others slightly, or detuning your e string will cause the rest of the strings to go slightly sharp. i fixed this on mine with a backbox, but it doesn't bother most people i guess? as long as you play in 1 tuning and don't do many unison bends, it won't make much of a difference
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
yes because a floyd has movement in it when you bend
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
with a back box... you mean you blocked off your floyd rose? How do you go about doing this?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.