Page 1 of 2
wow.... play god much?

Cloning from thawed frozen cells was thought to be difficult, if not impossible, because their DNA would be damaged by ice crystals.

This presented a major obstacle to hopes of raising mammoths and other extinct animals preserved in ice from the dead.

But a team of scientists from the Centre for Developmental Biology in Kobe, Japan, has now overcome the problem by successfully producing mouse clones from mice frozen at minus 20C for up to 16 years.

full article

sorry if this is old, used the searchbar.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]

I...I just don't know how to feel about this!

My frozen mousey ancestors...cloned...great-great-great-great-great^5 grand-mice!
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
This could be interesting...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yay for scientific progress!
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by JackalUK
Now they need to find some ****ing dragons!

And unicorns.

Oh man, my life would be complete with dragons and unicorns.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
<//////>~ dA
wasnt jurassic mice they was mice that had been frozen 16 years ago.... tbh things die for a reason I dont think we should be in a position to change nature...
Quote by esther_mouse
And unicorns.

Oh man, my life would be complete with dragons and unicorns.

Sorry, no unicorns. The trolls ate them all...
Quote by johntb
wasnt jurassic mice they was mice that had been frozen 16 years ago.... tbh things die for a reason I dont think we should be in a position to change nature...

Quote by johntb

If that's what you think then you should stop all products of organic chemistry. Which means no more medication / plastics / soap / whatever for you mate.
Rlly, if you wanna let nature do it's thing then you have to let many ppl die. The average life expectancy used to be 27 before organic chemistry came up. I agree that you should draw a line somewhere, but the 'position to change nature' gets crossed when you let a handicapped person survive.
Everything 'fun' or whatever that you can imagine nowadays has been achieved by changing nature (except fapping).

By the way, if we wouldn't somewhere in our history have chosen to bend nature to our hand, we would have been extinct anyway, so even fapping wouldn't have been here.
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
God doesn't exist.
Only the cool people can create life
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
i just saw this on the news earlier. its really ****ing frightening that they did this. i dont like the direction this is headin'. ****in pet semetary
Q. would these cloned mice actually be who they originally where? Obviously physically theyll be identicle but would they still have the same persona?
Didn't they see the movie?! Don't they realize the consequences?! People will be eaten!
Quote by johntb

people aren't all improving cloning in order to **** with nature, we may be able to clone human organs and many other useful things eventually

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Immense, I've always wanted to get a sabre toothed tiger.

Not long now *rubs hands together merrily*
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by EMGs_rule
wow.... play god much?

full article

sorry if this is old, used the searchbar.

Playing God?

Couldn't you class an Organ transplant as Playing God?
A Blood Transfusion?
An Abortion?
Quote by beckyjc
Q. would these cloned mice actually be who they originally where? Obviously physically theyll be identicle but would they still have the same persona?

Probably not. The mid and body are two seperate beings. Just because you brought the body back, doesn't mean the mind came with it.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by beckyjc

No. It is possible to clone a living human or a pet, but they'd be alike in appearances only. They would most likely have a different personality. I mean, there's a chance the personality could be similar, it all has to do with how the brain develops. So you're clone sister and you won't think exactly alike.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by DasFishy
Sorry, no unicorns. The trolls ate them all...

Noo...NOOOO!!

<//////>~ dA
Its not playing god because god doesnt exist.

Any advancement in science is a good thing.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by beckyjc

No, a persona is developed depending on external factors in your life. As is physical appearance to some extent.

If you take two identical twins and separate them at birth and putting them in different enviroments, both twins will develope in different ways, even on the outside.
Quote by AU79 XY
Playing God?

Couldn't you class an Organ transplant as Playing God?
A Blood Transfusion?
An Abortion?

playing gods fine with me, as long as you dont step over that fine line, one would be ressurecting extinct animals. There's no need for it.

however saving lives with this would be awsome

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule
playing gods fine with me, as long as you dont step over that fine line, one would be ressurecting extinct animals. There's no need for it.

There is.

Example;

Quote by Preid

awe look at the cute featherless satan-chicken

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
awe look at the cute featherless satan-chicken

Too bad it's pretty likely they ACTUALLY had feathers.

See? Ressurection will ruin it all because there's no way anything is as cool as we imagined it.
Quote by Base Ics
If that's what you think then you should stop all products of organic chemistry. Which means no more medication / plastics / soap / whatever for you mate.
Rlly, if you wanna let nature do it's thing then you have to let many ppl die. The average life expectancy used to be 27 before organic chemistry came up. I agree that you should draw a line somewhere, but the 'position to change nature' gets crossed when you let a handicapped person survive.
Everything 'fun' or whatever that you can imagine nowadays has been achieved by changing nature (except fapping).

By the way, if we wouldn't somewhere in our history have chosen to bend nature to our hand, we would have been extinct anyway, so even fapping wouldn't have been here.

I like it, genetic splicing is immoral, so no bacterial vat grown insulin for right wing christians if they get diabetes.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I believe there is no god so trying to play him/her/it is impossible.
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Quote by Whats the story
I believe there is no god so trying to play him/her/it is impossible.

Well, you COULD pretend you don't exist, that would be close.

Lot's of people do it.

Mostly for insurance fraud.

I also did it for a Halloween party by not showing up.
Quote by Giant Tool
people aren't all improving cloning in order to **** with nature, we may be able to clone human organs and many other useful things eventually

Indeed, When you start bringing stuff to life which has died out for whatever reason you **** with nature , growing organs fine, growing living things to take organs from = immoral... They have already shown that organs can be grown so why grow a living animal / person?

Its just an opinion I dont like the fact scientists want to bring dead things back..

Quote by Base Ics

Theres a difference between changing nature and correcting nature, science has enabled us to develop vaccines, medicines and also deal death etc etc etc everything that has happened so far in human history as far as medicines and life expectancy go has been to prevent death. This on the other hand is not preventing death, its not even cheating death it is simply bringing something that has been dead for 16 years back to life albeit grown back so nature / nuture is still present.

If you cant see whats wrong there then I wont preach to you to me it just seems like a path that shouldnt be followed, what will they try breathing life into next? the papers joked about mammoths and other thats been frozen, So say they brought a mammoth back what if it had a genetic problem that could spread? what if the cell they reproduced was a malicious organism?

Then you've got stuff like how long before entire armies are cloned from cells? just meat to be shot at with no repercussions the army would love that wouldnt they..
Anyhow just my thoughts I aint trying to force them on to you
Last edited by johntb at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by esther_mouse

I...I just don't know how to feel about this!

My frozen mousey ancestors...cloned...great-great-great-great-great^5 grand-mice!

I was hoping you'd make an entrance
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Page 1 of 2