Hey folks,

I have a Boss ME-20 (multi effects pedal) and I love it, but I think the distortions have WAY too much noise.

I mean, the effects on that thing are great (though there aren't that many) and most of them sound good. The reverb is wonderful and the delay is just fine (it's a shame you can't use delay + reverb).

My problem really has to do with the distortions... They sound ok, but I get tons of hum when I turn it on. It's not from the Strat (American Standard) single coils (because even if I turn the guitar's volume to 0, the hum is still there). I currently have my brother's pedalboard with me (he's on holidays), and sometimes I'll use his DS-1 and I get no hum at all.

I'm currently using a Washburn SS amp, which is not one of the worst SS amps, it actually has very nice cleans. I'm saving for a Fender Hot Rod amp, but I still don't have the money...

Sometimes when I rehearse at the studio (with all tube Marshall / Peavey / Laney halfstacks) I use the ME-20, and I think I get less noise, although I tend to use the amp's tube distortion a lot more.

I wonder if this happens with everyone who has a ME-20. I mean, it's a wonderful little effects pedal, really useful and sturdy. But this distortion thing is really messing up the quality of my tone...

Thanks in advance for your answers
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
It's most likely a combination of the power supply and the nature of the pedal. It's going to be noisy. Your amp probably isn't much of a factor.
Quote by Roc8995
It's most likely a combination of the power supply and the nature of the pedal. It's going to be noisy. Your amp probably isn't much of a factor.

I once heard from a fellow guitarist that digital effects pedals and SS amps don't go well, but it's probably just another myth.

Please excuse my noobish knowledge in terms of pedals, but you say the problem might be in the power supply (the AC adapter?). Ok, is there any way I can be sure of that? What might be the solution: buy a Boss AC adapter?

Thank you very much for your help
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
Last edited by JRC7391 at Nov 4, 2008,