just wondering, would it be possible to have on of these on your tone pots and how would it sound?

im thinking of doing it thought it might be a cool little mod :P
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I've been searching for a variable cap too, some time ago.

Then I saw the wikipediapage on the subject.

The things are usually WAY too big, physically. Or their value is very small.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
MY RIG
ESP LTD MH-400
Roland Cube 15X
Last edited by MetalLintu at Nov 4, 2008,
Sounds interesting. You'd still require a tone pot though filter treble throught the cap.
And there are mini ones about 20mm square...
It would be strange. Instead of varying how much treble was removed from the signal, a variable cap would change the frequency that was removed. The Varitone system used on some Gibsons is similar, except it uses a selector switch and different value caps and resistors (IIRC) instead of a variable capacitor. I'm not sure a variable capacitor would be all that useful even if it were possible.

Variable capacitors are far too large physically and have prohibitively small values for use in a guitar tone circuit.

Here's the Varitone schematic if you want a similar but more practical effect:
http://www.flatearthguitars.com/files/Gibson_Varitones.jpg
hmm, might check that out cheers
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by MetalLintu
I've been searching for a variable cap too, some time ago.

Then I saw the wikipediapage on the subject.

The things are usually WAY too big, physically. Or their value is very small.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
no correction needed. spot on.

variable capacitors necessarily MUST have their plates spaced farther apart and the plates are necessarily smaller in area and much thicker for rigidity. so the capacitance is very low or the capacitor is very BIG.

Quote by Roc8995
It would be strange. Instead of varying how much treble was removed from the signal, a variable cap would change the frequency that was removed. The Varitone system used on some Gibsons is similar, except it uses a selector switch and different value caps and resistors (IIRC) instead of a variable capacitor. I'm not sure a variable capacitor would be all that useful even if it were possible.

Variable capacitors are far too large physically and have prohibitively small values for use in a guitar tone circuit.

Here's the Varitone schematic if you want a similar but more practical effect:
http://www.flatearthguitars.com/files/Gibson_Varitones.jpg
the 10Meg resistors are there to reduce switching noise. the 100k resistor is used as part of a voltage divider, only when the varitone is not bypassed. the caps are switched and there is also an inductor. this makes a notch filter.

there's a slightly different version of this used on the Gibson Blueshawk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ah, that's it. I knew I was missing something. Any idea what the one on the blueshawk is like?