I've been interested in an acoustic simulator pedal. I've only tried out a Boss AC-2 in store and didn't care for it. I was running it into a Crate amp. But now I've heard that those kinds of pedals sound better when run through an acoustic amplifier.

Do I need to get another amp to get the most out of that pedal?

I have also heard of using a compressor along with reverb to get an acoustic guitar-like sound.

And before I hear "Just buy an acoustic guitar", I like being able to switch between an acoustic sound and a heavy distorted sound as fast as possible
"Just buy an acoustic guitar"

"An Augmented Fourth, Or Diminished Fifth, Depending On Your Outlook On Life"

tell me about it dude....
i was using a line 6 x3 and got a pretty sweet tone out of it but again not "acoustic" enough....
buy an acoustic amp, and maybe the boss AC-2.

of course with these, you will need an A/B box to switch between your main amp and the acoustic
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
a peizo pu is definitely the best way to go if you want natural, acoustic simulation from an electric guitar
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by bjovi400
buy an acoustic amp, and maybe the boss AC-2.

of course with these, you will need an A/B box to switch between your main amp and the acoustic

a huge waste of money.

Piezo is the best option.
Quote by the boogieman
a peizo pu is definitely the best way to go if you want natural, acoustic simulation from an electric guitar

yeah, or you do it the vai way, install both a high-output pickup, and a piezo , let each have their output (cable wise) so it sounds like you're playing both acoustic and electric