I didn't really know where to turn for this, so I decided to ask the pit

What's an intermediate level, about 500-600 USD drum set. I literally know nothing about drum sets, but am already pretty decent at playing, i just need a set of my own.

If it's any help, I'll be playing some metal, rock and blues.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Mapex
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by 0RI0N
Mapex

This.
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
take a look at the Gretsch Catalina Maple. Its amazing for the price. It used to be 700 but i think it dropped to 600. check it out.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
mapex, pearl my fav is tama though
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Tama is probably the best in that price range.

Also don't forget that alot of sets don't come with double pedals which you'll probably need if you're going to be playing metal. Double pedals start at about $100 and the decent ones are about $200-300.
Lower end Mapex make absolute quality kits for a small budget.

Don't forget though, with drums you always need to make a little space in your budget for possible drum head changes/different cymbals, because stock ones are usually shit.

Remo Pinstripes for toms=win. The resonant side probably won't need changing for a while.
As for cymbals, you can go cheap, but they sound like trash so only fork out if you are happy with the sound you are getting.

But for noodling, a stock kit is fine. Make sure you can tune the toms/bass/snare right and set everything up in the right place for yourself.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
I would go for something vintage. It will sound better than any brand new kits out there, and plus, as they get older they go up in value as long as you take care of them. I have some post-serial keystone badge Ludwigs (mid 60's) they sound better than alot of sets ive played and they are worth about 1500 dollars (thats without the matching snare), but because i took my time and looked around i found some guy selling them for 600 dollars. He didnt really know what he had. I would trust them in a heartbeat if I needed a solid kit to play on a tour. Plus, this kit it totally pro, you will see professionals use kits like this all the time, (thought they may be gretsch or sonor or somthing like that)
Last edited by Max-Roach at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by Max-Roach
I would go for something vintage. It will sound better than any brand new kits out there, and plus, as they get older they go up in value as long as you tae care of them. I have some post-serial keystone badge ludwigs (mid 60's) they sound better than alot of sets ive played and they are worth abour 1500 dollars (thats without the matching snare), but because i took my time and looked around i found some guy selling them for 600 dollars. He didnt really know what he had. I would trust them in a heartbeat if I needed a solid kit to play on a tour.

Good idea but this is someone who wants a new, cheap, reliable kit. If someone needs to ask on a guitar forum I doubt they would know about vintage kits and as much love as I have for older, classic kits, I don't think they are really the right thing for this guy.

Also I doubt this kit is gonna be looked after and treated like a vintage kit it's probably just a mess around thing to start off on.

Edit: In the UK (where things are expensive) an intermediate kit will be between £500-£750 where you are looking at a better built and better sounding kit that is great for gigging.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
I was much too far out all my life
Last edited by Mr. La Fritz at Nov 4, 2008,
Thats the thing....1. its reliable 2. its a rock I can guarantee it will alst longer than a cheap mapex kit. In its day that ludwig brand new cost a shitton more than a new kit like mapex (though i played a mapex and kinda liked it...its a guilty pleasure). But your right, he'll probably play the kit for a week and be done playing for life. oh well
Tama for quality(And general metalness.)
DW for looks.

Also, if you think you'll be gigging in the near future I would really recomend looking into some Kichhoff kits. I'm playing one at the moment, acrylic sounds nice, and looks ****ing deadly on stage.
Quote by Cat Of Pain
Tama for quality(And general metalness.)
DW for looks.

Also, if you think you'll be gigging in the near future I would really recomend looking into some Kichhoff kits. I'm playing one at the moment, acrylic sounds nice, and looks ****ing deadly on stage.

since when is looks important in MUSIC?
Quote by Helloween4Ever
i didnt know drummers could count past 3

again with the drummer jokes..
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP