Page 1 of 5
I've noticed over the course of the US election coverage, that in the UK it seems that the vast majority of people would vote for obama if they could. For example, at my school we've had a mock election to mimic the US one with debates and speeches etc. And from the way people are talking about it and the way the votes that we counted in music (our music teacher is one of the ones in charge of it) it's a landslide in the direction of the democrats. Whereas in America, it seems like a much more even and close fought thing.

So over in England are we missing anything with our coverage of the election, or is some other factors making such a big difference, or is it just where i live and go to school thats like it?

PS. when is the new president announced?
Well some americans think they're not ready for a black president, that has definaetly is a factor. Other than that, i'm not too sure about their policies, check the political thread or whatever.

Quote by Chen-min
I don't understand why the UK cares so much about the US elections. Anyone care to explain?

because we're bestest buddies and we care about you
Sig space available, give me some praise
Last edited by ross1234 at Nov 4, 2008,
according to BBC news its on at 11:30pm or something and they claim its gonna be very exciting.....

... somehow i dont think so
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
i have to admit, I laughed a little

at long f*cking last... a decent compliment

I POSTED THE PEAR ALL I GOT WAS A LOUSY WARNING
I don't understand why the UK cares so much about the US elections. Anyone care to explain?
It's simple, Obama has better social policy and in the UK we like social policy.

We also prefer our leaders to be well educated and intelligent. Like Obama.
Hmmmm, depends on policies and such.

And TS, you should find out sometime after 4am tomorrow.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Chen-min
We keep being dragged into wars you start.
Quote by Chen-min

Because it's still going to have a big impact on our country?

Quote by freedoms_stain

Exactly. If you guys start on Iran, you're getting a full on slap in the face.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by themightymitch
according to BBC news its on at 11:30pm or something and they claim its gonna be very exciting.....

... somehow i dont think so

Slightly more exciting than X-Factor.
Quote by freedoms_stain
It's simple, Obama has better social policy and in the UK we like social policy.

We also prefer our leaders to be well educated and intelligent. Like Obama.

and they must have the "Dude factor", in which Obama rates very highly.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
yes, in england you are non partisan to political parties here. if it weren't for people mindlessly supporting the republican party because their parents did all their lives, i'm sure obama would win by a landslide here too
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
As a Brit living in America It seems to me like most younger people would vote for Obama but most old people would vote McCain, and since a higher percentage of old people vote the younger generation have to increase their voting.
Quote by Chen-min

The President of the USA is the most powerful man in the world, and not to mention the USA are our BIGGEST ally. (sp?)

So, whoever gets voted will change the world, either for the worse, or for the better.

Most countries in this world want Barack Obama, but I'm guessing that America don't think in the exact way we do.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
It's because there's so big difference between the west european politics and the US politics. In the Us they are much more conservative than in for instance Britain. I live in Denmark and had the election been here Obama would have got about 85% of the votes.
Because the UK doesn't get Fox News...I hope.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's because foreign media absolutely bums Obama.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
No no no... don't worry its US AMERICANS that are missing something... this SHOULD be a landslide but because we are idiots it will be a fairly close election.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Chen-min

Its not as if America is the most powerful country in the world.
Quote by thedudemeister

And TS, you should find out sometime after 4am tomorrow.

Cool, thanks.
Last edited by Gofer boy at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by ross1234
Well some americans think they're not ready for a black president, that has definaetly is a factor. Other than that, i'm not too sure about their policies, check the political thread or whatever.

because we're bestest buddies and we care about you

dude, shut up. We're not voting for obama because his policies are full of holes and his whole campaign is based off of "whooo raaraa". Why do you think Obama has like 80% of the young vote.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Our school also did a mock election, it was also a landslide for Obama. I seriosly hope Obama wins this election, and that the Republican party doesn't pull things in this election too. Our country will fall apart if we do not do something now. One thing that does bother me, is that in my state, (West Virginia) there have been reports of rigged voting machines. Two in my county.

Edit: Some of the most used objections to Obama is that he is going to take away our guns, he is infact a god hating muslim terrorist, and he is the Anti-Christ.

Most Americans are 'tards, I ****ing swear.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Last edited by JobyByTheNight at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
As a Brit living in America It seems to me like most younger people would vote for Obama but most old people would vote McCain, and since a higher percentage of old people vote the younger generation have to increase their voting.

what part of america are you in? because i have two words for you: college republicans. they're out in pretty much full force today down here.
Go Veg.
Quote by freedoms_stain

seriously? We put a gun to your head and make you come along? really? I'm sorry

EDIT:
Bush Isn't a republican... The KKK wears the christian flag but we all know they are not Cristian...

Or maybe... bush is a republican but the party is just changing for the worse. In that case I'm no longer a republican.. When you get down to it, bush's OUTRAGEOUS spending policies and just about everything else he does, are a down right horrible example of conservatism.

Bush gave the republicans/conservatives a horrible name, which is why obama looks so good. Mcain isn't bush.. that's my point.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Nov 4, 2008,
Quote by ctb
Slightly more exciting than X-Factor.

i duno, at least on x-factor thers nice things to look at

i personally dont find Mr McCain or Mr Obama particullary attractive... but thats just me
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
i have to admit, I laughed a little

at long f*cking last... a decent compliment

I POSTED THE PEAR ALL I GOT WAS A LOUSY WARNING
Quote by touji-za-nai
dude, shut up. We're not voting for obama because his policies are full of holes and his whole campaign is based off of "whooo raaraa". Why do you think Obama has like 80% of the young vote.

i didn't say you were i said some americans aren't voting because they aren't ready for a black president, you can't tell me theres no racism in your country.
Quote by im not mental
what part of america are you in? because i have two words for you: college republicans. they're out in pretty much full force today down here.

Looking at your sig, I guess I'm in the same place as you, Tucson AZ. I heard they are such a minority they barely even count.
Arizona is now a swing state apparently, funny considering the have been red since forever
has anyone read the newsarticle where the KKK said they wanted Obama for president?
Because it was either a black guy or an idiot?
+ they agreed with Obama's policies more (pulling back from Iraq etc).
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ross1234
i didn't say you were i said some americans aren't voting because they aren't ready for a black president, you can't tell me theres no racism in your country.

nah you're right. It's just the black card gets pulled a lot. Whether it's "you're black so you HAVE TO vote for the black guy. regardless" or "You didn't vote for the black guy... what... you racist?"

sorry lol :P
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I'd just like to say im totally afraid of Mccain and Palin getting all mavericky in the whitehouse... Obama 08'!
what it is that obama seems to appeal to more of the younger population. most of which can't vote or dont vote. so even though it looks as if obama is gonna win mccain is gonna get alot of the votes of people who r more likely to go out and vote thats why obama has spent alot more time on the get out to vote idea
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
There are some that would say the US is holding a "mock" election today.....................
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by touji-za-nai

because McCain's plans are foolproof then right?

we're not voting for Obama over here because:

a) he's black

b) people think he's Muslim

and THEN the whole disagreeing with policies come into play....and yet Obama's been ahead of McCain in every poll so far. most people are aware that Obama can't possibly do all that he wants to do...but it's a step in a new direction and that's good enough for me.

Quote by touji-za-nai

Bush gave the republicans/conservatives a horrible name, which is why obama looks so good. Mcain isn't bush.. that's my point.

that is true...but most people don't see it like this. plus, if you look at McCain's voting record he did vote with Bush a majority of the time and even though he would be a better president than Bush was, he still embodies the same ideals that everyone has come to hate over these last 8 years and THAT's why Obama's going to win.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 4, 2008,
I love the total jackassery in this thread. "WE LUV OBAMS CUZ HE DA BESTEST!"

Yeah, if you can't see both sides of the argument, you're media is not showing you enough. Both candidates do have valid points and actual plans and either is worth voting for.
Quote by touji-za-nai
nah you're right. It's just the black card gets pulled a lot. Whether it's "you're black so you HAVE TO vote for the black guy. regardless" or "You didn't vote for the black guy... what... you racist?"

sorry lol :P

Indeed it does, i think he will win though.
Quote by Sharck
I love the total jackassery in this thread. "WE LUV OBAMS CUZ HE DA BESTEST!"

Yeah, if you can't see both sides of the argument, you're media is not showing you enough. Both candidates do have valid points and actual plans and either is worth voting for.

I would never vote for mccain because of Palin
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
TS: It's much closer than what you guys see over there because the U.S.A is a massive country, with very diverse areas and cultures.

Anyway, the whole "young people dont get out and vote" is out the window today, Take for instance the incredibly long lines to vote right now, and when I was waiting in line, I noticed a whole hell of a lot more young people than I saw 4 years ago, or 8 years ago. This election finally has the American populace fired up and involved in their political process, and that is 100% a win for everybody.

Vote for who you think will be better in office, and we'll find out early wednesday what we're looking forward to in January.
Quote by Waterboy799
because McCain's plans are foolproof then right?

we're not voting for Obama over here because:

a) he's black

b) people think he's Muslim

and THEN the whole disagreeing with policies come into play....and yet Obama's been ahead of McCain in every poll so far. most people are aware that Obama can't possibly do all that he wants to do...but it's a step in a new direction and that's good enough for me.

a)b) that sucks O_o

McCain's economic plan makes 1000x more sense than Obama, McCain is aiming to lower spending. That's the headliner.

Obama wants to Lower Taxes and "even the financial system"
His incredible tax cuts + spending plans are going to bankrupt America.. even more than bush did. (that bastard)

mcain and obama are both steps in new directions, neither of them are bushy at all, it's a matter of which direction you want to go. Not like mccain is bush's 3rd term like so many flippin' bumper stickers are telling us.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Page 1 of 5