Hi guys
Ive got a digitech rp100 multieffects pedal and i trying to sell it.
Should I buy another multieffects like boss me-20 or digiteh rp-150 or rp-250
or should I buy single effects like boss ds for example?
thank you all!
single effects because you can do more things at one time, and they are much higher quality
single all the way, you may have less for your money, but each effect will be off higher sound quality and you can have much better combinations with singles, and more control, and a cool looking pedal board as the years go by but obviously it does depend on the situation, if your going from gig to gig every night, it might be just as handy to get a multi effects board to lug around with you, just plug and play! but id always vouch for the singles
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
What kind of effects are you looking for? The fact you mentioned an overdrive pedal as an example gives me the impression that that's what you're looking for, rather than loads of modulation, harmonising, wah etc. type effects. If that's the case, you'll want a good amp - good amps sound better than bad amps loaded with effects.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
good amps sound better than bad amps loaded with effects.

+1
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
dont use multi's if you have a tube amp - thats a waste....the multi processor basically replaces your pre-amp, if you have a SS amp then its ok

in the end, Ill take individual pedals over multi anyday

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by stratdud39
depends on your amp, with a SS, multi is good, but dont screw up a tube amp with a multi

y what makes the multi effect and tube amp not go together???
Quote by paulseagull08

multi fx are not as good as single effects.
putting a multi through a tube would just be doing wrong to the beautiful tube tone.
but with a solid state, it doesnt matter as much.
..and theres another seagul?
Quote by stratdud39
multi fx are not as good as single effects.
putting a multi through a tube would just be doing wrong to the beautiful tube tone.
but with a solid state, it doesnt matter as much.
..and theres another seagul?

stevenseagull is my hero so i copied his name lol
god im getting a marshal valvestated(or whatever its called?) in the next couple of days and i was about to buy a multi effects
looks like ill have to buy all the single pedals

but does the multi effects with tube amp make it sound awefull or just doesnt go?
A lot of what people are saying is incorrect. The truth is, you shouldn't get a multi-fx unit that has amp modeling capabilities if you have a tube amp because they will turn your tube effectively into a solid-state amp. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with a multi-fx unit for a tube amp, however, the problem is that in order to get a nice multi-fx unit you have to spend all your money up front. Single effects units can be slowly purchased over time. They also are more flexible.

With multi-fx everything is digital, so if you like the sound of analog effects with certain things, you're out of luck. Digital effects struggle the most with distortion, but there's plenty of great digital versions in every category of effect, including distortion. In some categories, such as ring modulation, digital is the only way to go. Besides, if you're looking at cheap multi-fx units (under say $300), building up a decent-sized all-analog board of single effects for a similar price is going to be impossible anyway.
Quote by paulseagull08
god im getting a marshal valvestated(or whatever its called?) in the next couple of days and i was about to buy a multi effects

but does the multi effects with tube amp make it sound awefull or just doesnt go?

well its just kind of pointless to get a great tube amp and then screw it up with multi fx, because multi fx arent great, there muddy and arent high quality.
and whats your budget dont get the valvestate there could be many other greater possibilitys for a new amp.
It's all personal preference
here are my Pro's and Con's of each:
Single Pedal's
Pros= Will have good build quality, good sound, easy to tweak and can be modded.
Con= Can get costly, take up a lot of space (if using a bunch). If using batteries, you will be going through a lot of them.
Multi-Effects
Pros= A bunch of effects in one enclosure, easy to carry. Can tweak sounds (depending on the processor)
Cons= Cheap multi's can have bad tones (where all the hate comes from, not many people always play the high end multi's). Some bad amp modeling (...you can turn it off most of the time) Not always the best wah's
...that is just based off of my opinion.
Quote by stratdud39
well its just kind of pointless to get a great tube amp and then screw it up with multi fx, because multi fx arent great, there muddy and arent high quality.
and whats your budget dont get the valvestate there could be many other greater possibilitys for a new amp.

the thing is i have a christmas budget of up to £200 to spend on pedal(s) but the amp is gonna be given to me for free
Quote by paulseagull08
the thing is i have a christmas budget of up to £200 to spend on pedal(s) but the amp is gonna be given to me for free

dah
you'd be wasting the pounds me thinks
you'd probably be better of with a valvetronix...
i say make a thread on this, someone like ghold will help you, he helped me a lot, stuck with me through my millions of threads, lol.
Quote by paulseagull08
ok ive made a thread called Marshall Valvetronix

its a marshall valveSTATE

You really just need help deciding whether to get the free marshall, or to get a different, and much better amp, like the vox, which COMES with effects, because its a modeling amp.
all you will need is a wah-wah.
try the vox first please.
OR go used
Quote by paulseagull08

I imagine this is kind of what it feels like when you get an unexpected letter from the Child Support Agency...

No point buying a multi FX just for the hell of it, anda lot of them aren't all that great anyway. Get your amp, get used to it then decide for yourself what effects you think you're actually going to NEED.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Something that no-one has mentioned yet.

Certain effects sound better in the effects loop usually modulation/reverb/delay effects.

With single effects you have the option of putting them infront the amp or in the effects loop, which you cannot by using multi-effects (most of the time anyway).

I've just sold my multi effects boss me-50 and bought single pedals and i honestly couldn't be happier so strongly recommend it. Better quality, more tone options, effects loop options. You get all that at the cost of a few batteries.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Quote by paulseagull08

it's pretty subjective. Generally multi's can be thin sounding and it will reflect in your tone. However there are alot of factors. The more you spend and the better the unit the less likely you'll be disappointed. It also depends on the amp. I have a Peavey windsor and a Valve Junior, my POD XT Live sounds alot better through the Vj then the Windsor at least to my ear and i don't really care for it through SS amps or my PA. actually I have yet to find an amp that works better then the VJ with a POD and I've plugged it into over 30 amps. Everyone says so much of your tone is in your amp, your fingers etc.. but I find 100 % of my tone is in my wallet. The more I spend the better I sound. I like the versatility of a multi. To make my tone better with the same versatility i'd be looking at spending over $2000 on a pedal board. For now i'm fine with my POD.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
so the seagull has an illegitimate child....not cool beans man, NOT cool beans.

i say single effects.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I'm just going to add this for what it is worth.

I bought a Multi Effect pedal to start out because I didn't know what the hell I wanted. I didn't know the difference between a phaser or flanger and chorus or delay for example. I didn't feel like spending $500 to find out either. So I spent $150 on my Digitech and it was worth it at that time. Headphone jack, tuner, wah pedal, customizing etc were all cool things for me. Still are.

now I've kind of grown out of that but I'll still keep it and use from time to time. Now I'm going after single effect pedal, but I don't consider my original purchase a waste of money.

that's all
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm just going to add this for what it is worth.

I bought a Multi Effect pedal to start out because I didn't know what the hell I wanted. I didn't know the difference between a phaser or flanger and chorus or delay for example. I didn't feel like spending $500 to find out either. So I spent $150 on my Digitech and it was worth it at that time. Headphone jack, tuner, wah pedal, customizing etc were all cool things for me. Still are.

now I've kind of grown out of that but I'll still keep it and use from time to time. Now I'm going after single effect pedal, but I don't consider my original purchase a waste of money.

that's all

Multi's are the best learning option. In the end the only thing that matters is if you were satisfied with the purchase.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Is anyone suspecting that Paulsegull is steven seagull in troll form?

Just you from the looks of things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com